Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#104135 Mon Mar 15 2004 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Only a few guys have been submitting pictures of their globes the past few months. We're going to do something different this month hoping to get more guys involved. I want everyone thats a member or everyone that reads the Shop Talk forums to submit a picture of their first globe (originals only please). Yes, EVERYONE!!!! Let's see, we have 1800+ members........What am I getting myself into???

Be sure to share the story behind your first globe. Include the year you got it too.

I'll post my first globe tonight.
If you can't post a picture yourself email it to me.
Lastgas15@aol.com

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#104136 Mon Mar 15 2004 07:30 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
My first globe , I wasn't even looking for globes at that time. I was looking for signs, stopped at an old station along Hwy 33 near the Tracy area, it has been a Texaco for years. talked to the old man about the old days. asking how long he had been a Texaco. "sents 1957 he says". was a Seaside before that, asked about signs, "Ya theres one or two in the garage". so I go look can't see them , where? on the ground. dirt floor. so I'm looking and kicking stuff. Down on the floor under the old work bench there was two bundles of toe sacks.(what are TOE sacks)? ha . So I unwrap one and holy, moly, I couldn't believe it. Scott Benjamin don't even have these babies. From the mid 30ties to 1941, there was one complete globe with his name and address on it and a Silver gull with his name lens broke out.

------------------
www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 03-15-2004).]

#104137 Mon Mar 15 2004 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dwaine,
That's a pretty good "entry level" globe.... LOL.
I think most of us started out with a much more modest globe.
Thanks for posting!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#104138 Mon Mar 15 2004 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Bob:

As soon as I get my first original globe - I'll post a picture.

Later . . .

Jim

#104139 Mon Mar 15 2004 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim,
I have a feeling you'll have an original globe soon.
Bob

#104140 Mon Mar 15 2004 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I remember sitting in the back seat of my parents '59 Ford Ranch Wagon on a rainy fall night looking up at the globes lit up on the pumps as the attendant filled the tank. This would have been in '65 or before as my parents got a new car in '66. I would have been 6 or younger. That is my first recollection of gas pump globes.

In late '78- early-'79 my Dad and I built a new house for the eccentric old guy that had owned the Conoco station where I saw globes for the first time. Our customer had originally run an En-Ar-Co White Rose station. He eventually re-branded to Conoco in the early 30's. In 1936 he built a new station. My first globe was used at that station when it was first built. Its one of the globes I remember seeing back when I was a kid in the early 60's! It was supposed to be used from '33-50 but the old guy never took the globes off the pumps until the station closed in the late 60's.
In '82 the old guy hired us to paint a rental house next door to the house we had built a few years before. Behind the old house was a garage built like a barn. When I showed up to paint the owner said he had some paint he wanted me to use. He said it was in the loft of the barn. I went up to the loft to get the paint and immediately saw 4 Conoco globes on green capco bodies and a Conoco Ethyl on red capco. I started pestering him to sell one of them to me. He replied they weren't for sale. I asked him a couple of other times but the answer was always the same. The last day I was there I was up on an extension ladder and he called me down. He was just coming into sight as I was going down the ladder. I saw him carrying a globe. I just about jumped off the ladder! He handed it to me and said. "Its yours".
Here's a picture of my first globe. Its the first globe I ever remember seeing.

I just thought I'd add that it was another 9 years before I got my 2nd globe (a blue crown). The Conoco Ethyl on old style capco was my 3rd globe. I bought it at the estate auction of the guy that gave me my first globe. There were 12 years between globes one and three! I continued to buy a globe or two a year for awhile. I had started collecting about anything petro related in '95. I remember buying 3 globes one year and thinking that was really something.LOL. That was 1996. I think it was in 1999 that I decided to really focus on globes. Lonnie Hop's "Globes On A Budget" series in CTO really inspired me. I sold off most of my cans and signs at that time and started buying globes.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-16-2004).]

#104141 Mon Mar 15 2004 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Oldgas member Wads sent me this picture.

Great globe! Especially for a first globe.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob

#104142 Mon Mar 15 2004 06:50 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My first globe purchases stand on each side of the Metro globe. Surfing the net one day and decided to search my last name. Found all kinds of strange postings but came across Wadhams Oil Co. from Milwaukee, Wi. Met a nice gentleman who had posted the Metro globe for sale in PCM. Well the last two years have been great. The collection is starting to grow and my wallet has become much thinner. This site is the absolute best, I look forward to reading all the postings every day. Anyone out there with any Wadhams items you're about to throw out, please send me an email. Bob, thanks for posting the picture.

#104143 Mon Mar 15 2004 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Aaron Hop sent me pictures of these globes. The Buffalo was Aaron's first globe and the H-C was Lonnie's first globe.

Hopefully Aaron will post the stories behind these globes.
Thanks for sharing!
Bob

#104144 Mon Mar 15 2004 07:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aaaaaaaaah, my first globe, they say you never forget it. Mine came via a classified ad I ran, I was just getting started and advertised for gas pumps and signs etc, I didn't even mention globes in the ad because I thought they were too rare and wouldn't have a chance of ever finding one. A fellow calls from a town about 4 hours away, he has a couple of old visibles, he wants $600ea, and if I took them both he'd throw in the glass topper that came with them. I get all excited, what a scoop, this was the deal of the century my first time out. I semi commit to the deal, and ask what is on the globe, he says its been years since he looked at it but he was sure it had an Indian on it, YAHOO! I couldn't sleep that night, the next day I head out bright and early, dreaming of a Red Indian globe and my first visible pump. I get there and get the tour, they were Boyle Dayton pumps, enough good stuff between them to make one good pump, but where was the globe? I could hardly stand it. He forgot about the globe and had to go find it, the suspense was killing me, and I was having a hard time retaining my enthusiasm. 10 minutes later here he comes with a box, I pull the lid off and all I see is ESSO He says, hmmmm I thought for sure there was an Indian on it, oh well its a freebie anyway. I loaded it all up in my Chevette hatchback, yes 2 visible pumps in a Chevette, that was site to see let me tell you. So, interesting story about a less than interesting globe, but it will always be my first

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#104145 Mon Mar 15 2004 07:58 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Here's my first original globe and my first original (and still current) wife. I've had the globe for several months and the wife for 27 years. I realize that this is not "Wife Of The Month" but I needed a little help taking this picture and as always she was there for me.

Regarding the globe, not much of a story, I bought it off EBAY from Louisiana. It's in darn good shape and I'm assuming it's from the late 50's. I do know for a fact that the lady in the picture is from the early 60's.
LIFE IS GOOD!
Happy Globe Hunting!!!

Neal Dunn gpf

#104146 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first globe just happened to be three. I went to the Grand Opening of the Brass Armadillo antique mall here in Kansas City in 1998-99 and found these two Phillips 66 shields and a Sinclair Dino all for $100 each in the same booth.

I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd34b3127cceba2e98cf33200000004610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#104147 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:52 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
My first globe, a Texaco on hull body with a copper base. Bought it at a local auction for $72.50 in 1991.

#104148 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First the story of how my dad, Lonnie, started collecting globes, because ultimately, it leads to my own story. It was December of '84 and my parents were in Illinois for a few days to celebrate their anniversary. My dad had at that time been collecting a few odds and ends gas pieces, some signs, cans, and oil bottles to go along with his collection of general line country store stuff. He had decided that it would be nice to have an old pump out front of the garage with an original globe on it. While in Illinois, he saw an ad for an antique mall in Ladd, Illinois that said it had some gas and oil stuff for sale, so on the 11th of December my parents drove out to look around. When he walked in he was blown away by the twenty or so globes on the wall, there was a Mobil with the horse and a Phillips Shield, but aside from that, he can't recall anything else being there, except for a single H-C globe that was in the window display. As soon as he saw the globe he knew he was going to buy it, because he remembered the Sinclair station on the corner by his house when he was a kid. He purchased that globe for $80, laid it in the trunk of the car, and drove home, no blankets or box, it was free to move around. The globe survived, and is still prominently displayed in our collection.
I got a little later start than he did, because it was about six years later before I was able to "get" my first globe. I became infatuated with globes shortly after birth in 1986, I am told that I would crawl into my dad's office and lie on a big stuffed dog and stare at the globes all lit up. Most normal children would say something like "mom" or "dad", but I said "Dino" as my first globe, and ever since I've been hooked. I attended my first flea market at age six weeks, so to say I have grown up with this stuff might be a bit of an understatement. My first globe came when I was four years old, though, when me and my Dad took a road trip up to Walt Feiger's place in Traverse City, Michigan to look at some globes he had for sale. After looking around for a while, it came time to decide what to buy, and the decision was between a pair of Kanotex Aviation lenses in the original shipping crate or a pair of Buffalo lenses. My dad was personally leaning towards the Kanotex lenses, but I was a strong advocate for the Buffalo pair. After some agonizing, he decided to be a "good dad" and go with the Buffalo globe, which I immediately laid claim to as my own. Over time it has become a gift to me from him, and it is one that I truly appreciate.
For those of you out there who do have kids, get them involved, I've been collecting aggresively now for about 15 years, and I will forever be grateful for the memories me and my dad have from going to shows and meeting people, it is just an overall experience that I would not trade the world for. Thanks to all who have posted, and to Bob for posting all our pictures. Keep 'em coming!

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
#104149 Tue Mar 16 2004 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great first globes everyone. There are some wonderful stories that go along with some of these globes too.

A couple of guys have emailed saying they can't remember what their first globe was. How can you forget your first?........

Keep those pictures and stories coming.
Bob

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved