Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
besgar, I put laquer primer right on the bare metal. It's a trick I learned when I was a Navy Seal! LOL!!
Actually I'm not sure what today's "tech laws" state but so far as etching goes I believe the sandblasting does the etching. In my younger days, my first paint job was on a 1975 Trans Am, I did it just like this, regarding the primer on bare metal. That's what all of the gurus told me to do. After the paint job I kept the car for seven years and the paint job remained nice.
Thanks for the interest!

Neal

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
To continue on with this ROTM topic, I sandblasted, primed and painted the cylinder bolts with aerosol yellow Rust-O-Leum enamel. That yellow matched my yellow I was going to use pretty darn close.
On the skins I straightened the metal as best as I could using whatever necessary, pliers, an oak block and hammer, etc. I then shot another coat of laquer primer on to show the flaws and traced them with chalk. I then applied bondo, sanded with 60 grit and shot another coat of primer. I then marked the flaws again and used spot putty. After sanding with 80 grit I put on a heavy coat of urethane primer. The urethane primer takes longer to dry (approx 3 hours) but gives a thicker buildup and sands really good.
I sanded the urethane with 150 grit, 220 grit then 320 grit. I blew the skins off real good, wiped them down with a tack rag then applied two coats of no-sand sealer. I then painted the blue base color and let it dry overnight. The next day I masked off everything which I wanted to stay blue, preparing for the yellow paint.
The paint system I used on this was PPG brand, base/clear.
More to come.

Neal

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
More Pictures for Neal!!! Thanks

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

~Jason

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Last one!!!

~Jason

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Okay, winding this ROTM down, after painting the second color, Volvo yellow (that's what it turned out to be after matching it up), I let the pumps sit for a day then shot the clearcoat on it. If there had been any runs, trash, etc. in the basecoat it would've been wet sanded. For a bad run I start out with 600 grit and work up to 1500. By the way, when wet sanding out a problem on the basecoat you don't have to repaint it unless you sand through the paint. Even if that happens you can just spot paint the flaw, no need to paint the whole pump.
The tech sheet said I had up to five days to shoot the clear, any more than that and I would have to scuff the paint with either extra fine Scotchbrite or 1200 / 1500 grit sandpaper. I wiped the pump off with a nice clean rag, then went over it with a tack rag. I then shot the first coat of clear on and five minutes later when I went to shoot the second coat, a piece of newspaper I had put under the base to protect the floor had blown up and stuck to the tacky clear. Being I had already mixed up all of my clear in the gun and having none left I was panicking. Being this clear has hardner in it, it WILL set up in a gun, the tech sheet said 1 hour (I think). I unplugged the gun, put it in a cooler with a little water and ice and it didn't set up on me, thank goodness.
I peeled the newspaper off, cussed a little more then put a heat lamp shining on my foul handy work. Approx 2 hours later the clear had hardened enough for wet sanding so I did the 600, 1000, 1200 , 1500 thing and was back to normal. I took my COLD gun out of the cooler, poured the paint into a big clean plastic cup, shot my heat gun on it for about a minute, poured the clear back into the gun through a strainer (ALWAYS use a strainer!!) and went back to shooting clear. I ended up with three coats of clear on it and let it dry for a day.
Regarding the base/clear system, when I say let it dry for a day actually it dries within a couple of hours. I do like to leave it alone until the next day though so the paint can actually harden up. I'll next talk about buffing but let me say this before I forget it, depending on the brand of clear you use, you can wait too long and buffing it can be tough. Once the clear truly hardens (1 - 3 days) it can be quite hard to deal with.
The next step after the clear has been applied it the final finish. Sure, the pump looks good and slick but this'll make it even better. When I say better I'm meaning a more uniform gloss with no little bumps or specks. Wet sand any runs or trash out just like the above instructions on the basecoat. When all flaws are gone wet sand the entire pump with 1000, 1200, then 1500 grit. Wipe the pump down good when going to the next grit. Also VERY IMPORTANT, anytime you're wet sanding and you feel something scraping STOP. It's easy to get a piece of trash, grain of sand, etc. between your work and your paper. Wash, wipe, check or change your paper and carry on.
It doesn't look like I'll finish the ROTM up on this post (much more to say, typing fingers getting fatigued) but I do want to talk about the next step, buffing.
I use a Porter Cable buffer with a speed dial and I keep it on it's lowest setting. Some people prefer the wool pads, some perfer the foam pads, I use them both. The first buff will be with a wool buffing pad using super fine polishing compound (I use one made by Turtle wax). When finished wipe off with a damp rag, put on a wool polishing pad and buff with what's called medium-cut cleaner. I use McGuiars's (not sure how it's spelled) brand on the rest of these. Next is a foam pad using swirl remover, then finally another foam pad using machine glaze. When buffing is completed use a soft toothbrush and a cup of water to remove any of these remaining compounds from the nooks and crannies. Then wipe the pump down well.
More to come, thanks for looking!

Neal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Neal!!!
Pump came out nice. I really like the colors and the way you separated them on the pump.
I know it is a lot of work, I restored one like it about 10 years ago.

Great post good info for all.

GasPumpRob

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
THANKS gaspumprob! I can say this, "it was kinda tough but I enjoyed every second of it"!
Merry Christmas to all!!

Neal

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
This is my final post for this topic;

After the painting is complete, I am now tasked with assembling this baby. My ceiling height was two inches shorter than the height of this pump (less globe) so regarding assembly it had to go somewhat horizontal. I cleaned the cylinder as follows;

1- paper towels and laquer thinner
2- laquer thinner and Scotch Brite pads
3- Windex and Scotch Brite
4- paper towels and Windex

I recommend being very careful throughout the assembly process. I dropped a screwdriver while installed the "Contains Lead" signs and knocked some paint off. That called to about two hours worth of touchup. I buffed the nozzle and all of the other metal items. On the cloth hose I scrubbed it with water and Brillo pads, allowed it to dry for a day then whitened it with Kiltz and white shoe polish.
I lastly applied the original water transfer decal. I had six of these and felt I could surely get one out of six to work okay. Believe it or not the first one worked out perfect! It was dated (I think) 1965.
In closing lest me says this, I am by no means a pro at this. There are many many fellow oldgassers that know a lot more about restoring pumps than I do. On many of my steps I probably do some things that are not necessary but due to my ignorance I do them anyway (like all the wetsanding and buffing steps, etc.) and this is mainly because I am still learning. Also many of the things I addressed here were things I didn't have a clue about but thanks to my questions on oldgas and the answers from the oldgas giants I was able to tackle and succeed.
Please fell free to ask any questions which I didn't cover.
Sincerely,

Neal

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 12-19-2004).]

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
In a nut shell here's a few things that I learned on this pump that have helped with my petro restoration "continuing education";
1- Don't let foreign paint (as in the inside paint that you don't see unless you open the doors) be noncompatable with the exterior finish.
2- To remove a cylinder, put laquer thinner or MEK in a sray bottle, shoot the top seal, wait 10 minutes, repeat until the bond gives way. Tap on the top with a wooden hammer butt but BE CAREFUL! After the top comes off repeat the same for the bottom.
3- Scotchbrite and Windex does a good job cleaning glass.
4- A toothbrush dipped in H2O does a good job removing compund from nooks and crannies.
5- Aerosol Kiltz then white shoe polish does a good job in refurbishing a cotton hose.
6- Use chalk to outline the flaws between priming/filling.
Thanks for looking!

Neal

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good Job Neal. Thanks for all the steps and tips. They will definitely come in handy. Hope you have a Merry Christams. ~Jason

~Jason

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved