Page 1 of 2 1 2
#107545 Mon Sep 26 2005 03:59 AM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
For those of you who dont know, I own my own trucking company. Our main focus in the business is Roll-off dumpster service.

On more than one occassion, the roll-off has been used to clean up an old farm. Armed with the knowledge that many petro goodies reside at, and are often discarded from old farms, I always ask to see what is going into the dumpster, and if there are any old gas pumps or signs.

This one was not quite understood by this particular customer. But it did provide me with a nice grease pump.

Recently, I had delivered a dumpster to an old farm. The woman had come out to meet me, and so I asked about any old pumps. She said "Well, there's two old pumps behind the old school house" (They have an old school house on their property, that was moved in from another site) So off we go through the tall grass, around the corner, and there they were.

Now I know how Dorothy felt, when she looked up the yellow brick road and saw The Land of Oz for the first time. Not one, but two Tokheim 36Bs, WITH TOPS!

I tried to keep my cool, and calmly said what ANY man would say when a woman showed him a pair of nice 36Bs, "Those are nice". My heart started to race. I asked if they were going, and and she said "I dont know what my husband has planned for them. They used to be his Father's pumps" So I asked if he might be interested in selling them. She replied "Well you will have to talk with my husband" So I told her that "I would like that opportunity to do so, please have him give me a call"

So now I had to wait for the call.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#107546 Mon Sep 26 2005 07:35 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great fine Thunder, hope you get them. Richard

#107547 Mon Sep 26 2005 07:39 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Love these type of stories. Anticipating the results. Good luck Thunder.

#107548 Mon Sep 26 2005 08:42 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think his Dad would have Beat him if he ever turned down 150.00 each for them...

#107549 Mon Sep 26 2005 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff, Hope you get them. If you need a hand give me a call. Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#107550 Mon Sep 26 2005 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They'd look better TOPLESS ! LOL
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 09-26-2005).]

#107551 Mon Sep 26 2005 04:52 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
And so the story goes on....

A few days later, I got the phone call that I was waiting for. The gentleman explained that his Father had bought those pumps quite some time ago, and used them to fuel his farm trucks & tractors. That had sat back there for some time now, and he wasn't opposed to selling them.

So I asked "Well how much do you want for them?" He answered "A thousand dollars." I thought, they just might be worth about that. "How much do you want to pay for them?" he asked. So I told him "I really want to steal them from you, but I'll give you ten bucks" He laughed, and asked "How much are they worth?" "Let me get back to you about that. And you think about how much you really want for them. Then we'll get together in a few days and figure out something that works for both of us." was my answer. He replied "That sounds good"

Now, I had a lot of things to think about. How do I really approach this. Should I tell him that they're only worth about fifty bucks? Nope, I couldn't do that. I'm a businessman, I can't lie to me customers, nor would I want to take advantage of somebody who really didn't know. Or worse than that, buy them for a song, only to have him find out that they were worth a fortune.

Now, the sleepless night started....

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 09-27-2005).]

#107552 Mon Sep 26 2005 06:41 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
So after a few days of thinking about all of this, I decided to meet with the farmer who owned the pumps. After a phone call he agreed to meet with me at 4:00 in the afternoon, Saturday before last. I gathered a few photos of my other pumps, my books, and my camera, and off I went.

When I met the gentleman, I layed my cards on the table. I told him "I really can't afford to pay you what those pumps are worth" So he asked "Well how much are they worth?" I opened up the "Gas Pump Bible" (Thank you Jack Sim) and showed him the explanation at the beginning of the book, explaining pump values, then showed him Tokheim 36B section. After seeing the value of the pump he asked again what I would pay him. I simply said "Sir, you tell me how much you want, and I'll try to make it happen" I also assured him that these pumps were for me, they would not be sold, and then showed him in the restoration guide, how I would paint one of them.

He asked "Is --- dollars fair?" I thought for a moment, and said with a slight hesitation "I think that is a fair price for one of those pumps" He said "No, thats for both of them" I replied "I'll make it happen" He said "O.k. but you aint gonna be able to haul them in that little car of yours" I assured him that I had a truck capable of handling the situation.

I jumped in my car, raced home, and thought of how I can get the money. I discussed it with my better half. I asked if I could, or should, sell the old 36B that her Step-father had given to us. She told me that it was given to me, for me to decide, and that she was good with selling it to finance this deal.

I called Proffesor Bennett for some guidance in this venture. I sent photos and descriptions. He wanted the tops!!! NO WAY!!! I sent a few e-mails, had a few more phone conversations, then decided to sell my old 36B.

Although I did get a few offers, they fell a little short of what I needed for the other pumps. So the other option is to part it out to my gas geek brothers, then e-bay the rest.

#107553 Mon Sep 26 2005 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHO CALLED WHO ?
His daughter kept sending emails CALL ME! CALL ME!
PLEADING for me to call her DAD. Said he was going PUMP-NUTS waiting for the phone to ring, wouldn't sit still.
Sure, I offered to buy the TOPS, so he could have the pumps. Offered to buy 1 of the pumps, too.
BUT, WE ALL know that a PAIR of 36B's feels better than one, EVEN IF THEY AIN'T TOPLESS !!
LOL
db
Looking for LOOSE 36B [TOPS]

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 09-26-2005).]

#107554 Tue Sep 27 2005 04:01 AM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thats right. There were numerous e-mails. I was actually a little jealous of my daughter.

I spoke with a few of my gas geek brothers who were interested in parts. The old 36B will soon be dismanteled for shipping of it various components.

It took a week to scratch up the money for the pumps. During this time, I had not kept in contact with the owner. I trusted that he would keep to his word, yet in the back of my mind, I feared that somebody else might convince him to hold out for more money. Worse than that, I was concerned that my existing pump would have been sold or parted out by then, leaving me with nothing.

#107555 Tue Sep 27 2005 06:38 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
My better half, bless her, told me "Just write a check, we'll cover it". I'm not sure if I've ever heard better words. Like a schoolboy, who just got the phone number of the new "cute" girl, I couldn't wait to call. The gentleman kept true to his word about the price. He even helped me load them with the help of his two sons. He shook my hand, and thanked me, as I thanked him. Then he asked "Will you be around for a while?" I asked "In the neighborhood?" He said "Well yes, I'd like to come by some time and see what you did with my Dads pumps" I told him "You just pick up that phone aand give us a call, we'd love to have you"

A few things happened here. I don't know how much was luck, or how much was business savy. I was lucky to find two pumps in such good shape, and owned by somebody that was willing to part with them. But the fact is, I showed him the value in the book so he knew how much he could get for them, I was honest and sincere, and I assured him that the pumps would stay with me. Besides getting two nice pumps, I won twice, I also met a very interesting old family with a lot of stories to share. It will be great fun when he makes it over here.

Good luck on the hunt guys... I know they're out there...

------------------
Anything Chevron?

#107556 Tue Sep 27 2005 06:54 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Thunder you hit the nail on the head. I've dealt with a lot of farmers, if your honest with them nine times out of ten they will bend over backwards to deal with you on what you can afford to pay. I noticed you didn't talk about selling a horse to pay for the pump, take it from me it won't work. I will go before my wife and kids horses do. Richard

#107557 Tue Sep 27 2005 07:09 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
thunder... i like your style... nobody got beat up here.. do the man proud.. restore them beauties so you BOTH can enjoy them.. nice story... you made a friend and thats more important than some of the **** i hear here.

#107558 Tue Sep 27 2005 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I offered Jeff enough money to buy BOTH pumps for 2 little pieces off of them ! LOL
db

36B's look good TOPLESS !

#107559 Wed Sep 28 2005 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome find, Thunder. That's what I've been hoping to find, driving around to all these farms on the weekends - You've got awesome luck!

Which adglass is on the pump that's not the "Extra" pump?

Are you going to do them in Chevron? I say you should get a nice air/water/lamp pole and make an Island for them.

Wes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved