Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi
this is my first post. love the forum.
i Want to start to collecting a few old oil cans for my rec room and bar.
what do i look for? i notice some have soldered seems are them older ones?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
square soldered
soldered seam [round can]
crimped seam
formed plastic [round can, metal lid]
cardboard [metal top & botttom]
plastic [retangle]

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Generally speaking the metal cans are older and usually more valuable than the cardboard composite cans. However if you're just looking for atmosphere and don't want to spend a fortune on cans you can still find the common cardboard ones fairly cheap ($1.00 to 5.00). As a rule, the more interesting the graphics (pictures of cars, boats, airplanes, etc.) the more expensive the can, both cardboard and metal.

I have focused my cheap can collection on any cans with racing flags or called "racing oil" and branded service station cans (like Shell, Chevron RPM, Flying A, etc.).

If you want to get serious about cans guys like Scott Shipers can help you out, but be prepared to make an investment if you want the really good ones.

C Cragg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some people collect full cans, some empty, some cardboard, some metal, some rough, some mint, just big companies, just graphic.My point is you should collect whatever makes you happy because their are many ways you can go.

You have to please nobody but yourself. Good luck and make sure and post some pictures when you get started. Here is one of the six shelves I have in my rec room. The picture is really big but I wanted to give you a close up.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart oil cans
Kansas City, Missouri

[This message has been edited by quartcans (edited 09-13-2005).]

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the best site on the internet Don!
Some people collect only items from one oil company too. Like Scott say you only have to please yourself.

Scott, if you post any more pictures of your outstanding quart collection you might turn me into a can collector!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
WOW.........
REX LIKES CANS

M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello
thank you for the warm welcome all the repies and advise
i like to have some knowledge about what i'm buying. like when you look on ebay and its says Rare find, is it really.
but your right you need to collect what appeals to you. its nice to have something that is a conversion piece also.

Quartcans, you have a beautiful collection
thank you for the picture

thanks again
Don

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome aboard Don. Since you are familiar with ebay, you can do a "completed auction" search for any can you may be interested in for a general price. As for "Rare" cans on ebay, the bidding and price will reflect that. And you are more than welcome to ask any question about a can on this site. That's why we are here, to help each other out and share information, ideas, and our collections.

M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Gary
here is a couple of autions i'm looing at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7181293094&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7181374792&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

could you take a look at thes and see what you think of these.
thanks
Don

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Don, I have never seen that RPM version before, so the price looks excellent on it now. If it is rare, the bids will start flowing. The Phillips is pretty common and I would guess around $25-$30 for value. I haven't really kept up on can pricing in about a year, so maybe Scott can advice you more and also shed some light on that RPM can. It looks like you have at least started off looking at some nice cans that won't break the bank but are very nice and collectible. Good luck.

M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Gary
i'm going to bid on that rpm can i just hope a bunch of people off here decide to do the same thing ..lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, Their are two versions of the RPM you are wanting to bid on, the one you see and a blue and green version. The red is a little faded on this can but still kind of a hard to get can. Just like all auctions the bidding will start with about 30 seconds left in the auction. Hope you get it and if you do post in Buy Of The Week.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart oil cans
Kansas City, Missouri

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
do you think i should bid on both rpm oil cans ? that seller also has a mobil w/ red horsein it thats looks nice. i thought about that one also

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The Mobiloil is an Aero version. Less common then most Mobil cans. I see the seller has the red RPM for sell also. Now Scott said in the previous post that "The red is a little faded on this can", I assume meaning the orange RPM since that is the one you are inquiring about. However, I am now confused by Scott's reply. So...Scott, is there an orange version or is that can a faded red? Don, if the can has faded to orange, I'd pass and go for the good red one. The seller has nice cans and if you want them..go for it!

M
Minocqa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi Gary
i was kind of confused myself so the orange is actually red? and there was never a orange version.huh?
i think if thats the case i will bid on the other one although its slightly dented at the top.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved