Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#109792 Sat May 05 2007 11:32 PM
H
H
Oh sorry, missed answering this question. The sign was porcelin. And yes, chemical testing can prove age, many cases manufacturer, type of paint, etc. As another example. No run of metal is ever the same. If you want to build a display using exposed metal, you have to be careful to use metal from the same skid or roll run. If not, it can look very different if looked at close up. Furthermore, texture, look, feel, oxidation rate, etc varies on the manufacturer, raw material used and the plant itself. Every run of material in any manufacturing process is usually specially inspected and documented and they are never the same.

Finally my point is this. Repros can fool all of us and it can be an incredibly expensive mistake. I now listen to others and if someone I trust doubts the integrity of a sign and they make a good argument, I pass.

Finally, knockoffs are dangerous. A lot of collectors have incredible skills and make killer cans and signs. Their great and everyone likes looking at them, including me. But now we are seeing these same collectors having to intervene and inform a seller or buyer that by the way that great looking listed "original" is one he made five years ago. Kudos for being an honest guy. But what happens when that institutional memory disappears? Or what about the items they never see to correct? I have no answers other then to say all repros should boldy state on them they are repros.

#109793 Sun May 06 2007 03:21 PM
T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thanks for all of the input on this...I will spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Kevin

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
#109794 Sun May 06 2007 05:27 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
emailed seller... got this back.

"I know that the reproductions say Desperate Sign Works Co. in the lower right hand corner, this one does not. But I am not 100% sure of the originality. I have had 4 of these over the years that I have bought, sold and traded and have never been told this was a reproduction."

sadly this sign just sold for 620.00 on ebay.

[This message has been edited by kmann (edited 05-06-2007).]

#109795 Mon May 07 2007 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Private listing..........

#109796 Mon May 07 2007 04:47 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Want to mention another variable in sign creation not mentioned in this post that I have learned. It adds another possible explanation to the 1910 metal w/ 1950's paint.

I don't doubt there were repros made even as far back as the 1940's. Probably more in the way of Fantasy Pieces. Like hiltd said,
Just because someone had the time and talent to do so. Or maybe to show a potential employer their capability.

As a Driver for one of the Major Oil Companies here in the Midwest, I have had a number of older gentlemen come up to me over the years and talk about making signs for our company many, years ago.
Here are some things I learned from them.

As Oil Companies experienced growth into new areas they would use different sign companies to create their signs. Many were small independent ones, an oil company representative would contract with.
Many variables would come into play.
They may only need to make a couple or 2 dozen.
Size, shape and graphics would be given, but it would be up to the sign maker to source his materials to make them. The price and availability of metal often made it more economical for the sign maker to reuse the metal from an old sign, than make an entire new one.
WWII of course would see a shortage of metal so sign makers would have to scrounge for scrap or reuse metal from old signs or other items to produce new ones.
Shipping signs long distance was more costly during the early years as opposed to local production.

During the late 1950's the Ohio Oil company was looking for a new logo that was easier to reproduce. They found it hard to keep uniformity among signs made by different companies with the Phidippides character and other graphics in their logo.
In 1962 the company changed it's name to Marathon in Celebration of it's 75th anniversary. They adopted the M sign we use today, but, different logos were used as "experiments" prior to that.
I have seen two different experimental logos they used in the late 1950's.

Just my 2¢ worth. I am sure other companies did the same.

Anyone know an old sign maker from the late 1940's or early 1950's? Bet he could tell us things we haven't though of.
Chuck

#109797 Mon May 07 2007 05:29 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Chuck: "As Oil Companies experienced growth into new areas they would use different sign companies to create their signs. Many were small independent ones, an oil company representative would contract with."

I agree with this idea...for smaller oil companies. By the end of the 1930's, most major oil companies had standardized logos, colors and graphics for signage. Advertising purchases of all kinds had to conform to established company guidelines. Therefore, I think your theory would apply mainly to smaller companies with less rigid standards. IMO

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved