Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110190 Fri Jan 20 2006 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...sure looks like another fake to me - what do you guys think?...of course, nothing 'definitive' in the description...I believe there was an older post on these fakes...but here goes:

(1) the light blue looks wrong (too dark)
(2) a sign this clean should have retained its grommets
(3) the white 'drop shadow' along the top of the letters is uneven with the dark blue - should be even on an original...
(4) a sign this clean often would retain its makers' name...

...anyone else out there have an opinion on this?...I would like to jack-slap the guy who made these &%$# things, for not marking them as repops!...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Unless I'm mistaken, you wouldn't have to travel very far to find the maker.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This some kind of inside thread? Seems kind of cryptic.--- Give us some more clues.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Yes, these repop 30 inch double-sided Gulf signs turn up regularly on eBay. And they fool a lot of collectors.

Inside thread? I think Seth may be saying that some of them come out of North Carolina. That may be true. I went to Dixie Gas back in fall 2004 and there were several of these signs for sale. However, the vendors weren't trying to fool anybody. They were presented as repops.

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe it's just my browser but there is'nt an image or an item number to take a look at what they look like. I guesse I should'nt of been so cryptic. Jim

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Has anybody emailed the seller and the bidders on this one?? Looks like the bidders are oblivious. However, no familiar IDs on it. The sellers usually just ignore you unless they are very honest (a rarity on eBay).

I used to email whenever I saw a repop on eBay, particularly if a known collector was on it. But then the repops just became too numerous. I figure you just can't protect the ignorant and suckers forever.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I emailed the seller this :

Your sign is a reproduction it is not an original sign.You should tell the bidders that.

Here's his responce to me.

thanks --- i did not sale it was a old sign ? --- but i was told it was -- ? -- thanks for your info --- fredc446

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Current bid: $406!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Moses....I didn't pay half that for my 6 ft Gulf Dealer with the Ring and I know that's authentic...

Wow, buyer beware out there.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved