Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#110190 - Fri Jan 20 2006 03:31 PM Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...sure looks like another fake to me - what do you guys think?...of course, nothing 'definitive' in the description...I believe there was an older post on these fakes...but here goes:

(1) the light blue looks wrong (too dark)
(2) a sign this clean should have retained its grommets
(3) the white 'drop shadow' along the top of the letters is uneven with the dark blue - should be even on an original...
(4) a sign this clean often would retain its makers' name...

...anyone else out there have an opinion on this?...I would like to jack-slap the guy who made these &%$# things, for not marking them as repops!...

#110191 - Fri Jan 20 2006 04:28 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
Seth Robbins Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Guthrie, OK. 73044
Unless I'm mistaken, you wouldn't have to travel very far to find the maker.....

#110192 - Fri Jan 20 2006 04:40 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
This some kind of inside thread? Seems kind of cryptic.--- Give us some more clues.

#110193 - Sat Jan 21 2006 02:39 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
Pablo Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: El Dorado Hills, CA
Yes, these repop 30 inch double-sided Gulf signs turn up regularly on eBay. And they fool a lot of collectors.

Inside thread? I think Seth may be saying that some of them come out of North Carolina. That may be true. I went to Dixie Gas back in fall 2004 and there were several of these signs for sale. However, the vendors weren't trying to fool anybody. They were presented as repops.

Paul

#110194 - Sat Jan 21 2006 04:28 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
Maybe it's just my browser but there is'nt an image or an item number to take a look at what they look like. I guesse I should'nt of been so cryptic. Jim

#110195 - Mon Jan 23 2006 02:18 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

#110196 - Mon Jan 23 2006 08:45 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
Pablo Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: El Dorado Hills, CA
Has anybody emailed the seller and the bidders on this one?? Looks like the bidders are oblivious. However, no familiar IDs on it. The sellers usually just ignore you unless they are very honest (a rarity on eBay).

I used to email whenever I saw a repop on eBay, particularly if a known collector was on it. But then the repops just became too numerous. I figure you just can't protect the ignorant and suckers forever.

#110197 - Tue Jan 24 2006 05:52 AM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
nochevys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Sherrill NY
I emailed the seller this :

Your sign is a reproduction it is not an original sign.You should tell the bidders that.

Here's his responce to me.

thanks --- i did not sale it was a old sign ? --- but i was told it was -- ? -- thanks for your info --- fredc446

Tom

#110198 - Thu Jan 26 2006 01:39 PM Re: Yet another fake 30" Gulf round....
59fairlane Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Interlaken, NY
Current bid: $406!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Moses....I didn't pay half that for my 6 ft Gulf Dealer with the Ring and I know that's authentic...

Wow, buyer beware out there.

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved