http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330078285642

...I e-mailed the seller to see what the back looked like, mine is a 'mirror image' of the front, as the design actually appears 'pushed out' from the back - they did this to save iron and keep the thickness of the iron uniform throughout the sign...I know because I have a copy of the patent, where it is spelled out...

...the seller's response:

"the back was bead blasted and red lead primered. This is not a two sided sign. Just a flat back"

...Then I wrote back to ask whether or not the holes used for mounting the changeable price numbers were present, and I got this reply:

"I can make out location of holes on front for gas rax total but no holes
There is Patent Pending in lower left hand corner
Nothing on the back
It probably depended on how & when these signs were cast."

...exactly - these were cast a few years ago and have been subsequently passed off as originals...the backs of the repops are crude, as if the original sign was pressed down, face-first, into some casting sand, then the resulting mold of the face was filled with iron...no attempt was made to drill the holes used for the numbers...

...I responded that it made no sense for Gulf to make a useless sign, of course the seller hasn't replied...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...