Print Thread
#110658 Fri Dec 09 2005 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I got this email today.

Question from skaubraatmyra
Hello,

I recently placed a bid on item #5590717206 being a wheelchair for me that i really need do to my age (78 years old) and it seems that i can not find the auction anymore...May i please know if you are the seller of the item above?

Regards,
Gretta.

The tricky part was that the email looks completely legit with all the correct links and ebay logos except one link that reads "Respond to this question in My Messages." You click on it thinking you will be going to "my messages" and it takes you to a sign-in page exactly like the one you sign into to get into your ebay account. However, it's not really ebay and as soon as you enter your username and password, it takes you to a page that says it was "unable to redirect" I didn't type in my real password because I knew it was a scam, but I wanted to see what happened if I typed in a password that sent a message to the folks who do this kind of stuff.

Anyway, be careful and never go into ebay from a link in your email. I emailed this to spoof@ebay.com.

~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

#110659 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:03 PM
Thanks Jason. We can't say it enough.

Never click on links, forms or buttons in an email message when the destination would require that you enter personal information like passwords. These are easy to forge to make it seem like you are at a familiar site when you are really at a scam operation.

If you are concerned with your eBay account, that your Paypal account has been suspended or your bank has lost your information, just log into your account using a trusted link in your bookmarks or by typing in the true address of the real site.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#110660 Sat Dec 10 2005 06:51 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
If I get a message in my email I do not respond to it or open it. When you sign in on Ebay & go to My Ebay any legit message will be in the my messages link. I only respond to the messages in that link. If any member or Ebay sends you a message it will be there. There are to many scams going on to take any chances.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#110661 Sat Dec 10 2005 07:51 AM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
There forever changing and getting more sophisticate , Thanks for the heads up Jason it's appriceated

Chris Holt
#110662 Sun Dec 11 2005 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AGAIN, Don't worry about messages from ebay or paypal. First off you know if you are in a jam with them. Don't ignore it!! Simply forward to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com If you have a problem they will let you know but like I stated if you have a problem, you already know about it! Larry

[This message has been edited by st.rod (edited 12-11-2005).]

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved