Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Does anyone have some input on the origin of these Ebay auctions 200291984532 and 300282665796 , it seems that Missouri is a popular place for repop's if you research Ebay current/completed auctions, craigslist, yahoo, etc etc etc. Be sure to post directly to oldgas in order to help/educate future members. M

[This message has been edited by mattthegasman (edited 12-26-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Matt--I sent him an email letting him know that it is a reproduction and that there are a lot of people watching his auction for the outcome, with him knowing its a repop!
I'll bet he does nothing!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres the email I sent him!
I asked about your knowledge of the originality of this sign before and I have since researched it a lot. This is a reproduction as is this other one I have provided the link to. Be aware that a lot of individuals are watching the outcome of this auction and the actions that you take. Thanks http://cgi.ebay.com/Pegasus-Mobil-gas-Or...1QQcmdZViewItem

- b34-965

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
About the only way to blow these known fakes auctions, is to have access to multi computers & sign in with a new user names. Then throw a Mega bid on the item & let the seller file a Non Paying Bidder.
But then the sellers will be forced to click the PAYPAL REQUIRED box.

Ebay has yet to refund my Non paying Bidder Final Value Fees for 9 items in Aug. & Sept.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yes i have some input...i believe they are fake also as i seen approx. 20 of them at the Chicgo coin-op show...a friend of mine was at the show & he is from the Appleton area of Wisconsin...he owns a neon shop & he also has a big oven & makes his own porcelain signs....i went & got him right away to look at these 20 horses strewn all over the ground...I already knew they were not original for many reasons & i just wanted his input as to the technical end of manufacturing...he said they were bogus & we told the seller this who then told us a friend of his from Illinois bought a bunch of NOS ones from Canada & now you will see them every where...

Thanks M for bringing these & the other junk to our attention.....you are right it is good info for the new collector...It does not seem many people here care or even want to get involved, unless it happens to them....then you will see them post about the problem...i get emails about these people how they should be exposed & when i see them in person they say they will get involved, but i sure don't see them posting here or in the repo section.....hopefully they are doing something behind the scenes....i for one appreciate it & keep it up........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been in contact with the seller on this item and I believe that he is just another victim! He feels bad about all of it and is a little hurt from some of the accusations he has received. I gave him some advice and he intends to contact the person he bought it from and try to return it. I also advised him to post on the item that its a reproduction and let the buyers know. He is currently enroute and away from the computer and said he will have to deal with it later. We'll just have to watch and see what happens.
Its too bad when a chain of victims develops and there ends up a person along the line somewhere that has no recourse!
I notified the seller on the other one that he also has a repop in his hands. Time will tell on that one too I guess!
Have a good day all and remember---Be careful out there!!!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW i see this seller below has ended his auction of this repo horse. he must have been a victim himself as hes not trying to pass off his mistake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200291984532

however this seller below is still trying to sell his repo & only a few hours left..... lets see how this one does...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300282665796

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 12-28-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm suprised! The one thats left has talked to me on the phone and he knows its a repop and I really thought he'd either pull it or make a notation on the listing! I really believe that he's a victim too but that should never be passed along that way! Hope he does something soon. I emailed the other guy and he pulled it off ebay. Haven't heard back from him tho!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I received a response to an email I sent to the seller of the sign ending soon. It was from his wife(?) telling me I wasn't very nice. She also said that an OLDGAS member is the "Petrolina Moderator", the seller mentions in the auction. She just wouldn't say who this member is. I maybe wrong but, I don't believe that the email came from his "wife" and don't believe that an well-known OLDGAS member said the sign is original. As I said I could be wrong on this assumption. I believe enough OLDGAS members have sent emails, that he is throwing out BS until the sign sells. I wonder if he doesn't have more than one of these signs? Just heard back from wife, says that they bought the sign for $1500 from someone on west coast. She says that the original seller is suppost to buy sign back, but the auction still goes on. Not sure what to make of these emails. Since again, they know it's a repop and they now admit it and aren't stopping the auction, figure they are just trying to pass the sign along to the next sucker.

[This message has been edited by Bob Richards (edited 12-28-2008).]

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just got a surprise email from the seller/wife. I had apologised if my tone was harsh with them.They said it wasn't, but said that someone who claimed to be from OLDGAS was quite abusive.I am passing her/their email on to Jim. No need to throwout words like mother****er and use OLDGAS as a reason.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Just to set things straight -

The Pegasus seller said this in the auction description:

"It is not a reproduction as confirmed by a very well known Petrolinia Moderator here in Mo. and others."

I have had nothing to do with this seller and gave no such confirmation of originality. There are no other Shop Talk moderators in Missouri other than me. I contacted the seller and he would not explain who the person is.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, I hope one of us hears from him as to the disposition of the sale! Possibly he had someone he knows purchase the sign? I see the 2nd bidder had a 30% activity with him and in only 10 sales, so that tells you that he had a schill bidder participating!
I sure hope he didn't pass his problem along to someone else, that never makes it go away!
I know I sure plan to start a list of sellers with bogus items on ebay for my own information and I believe we all should.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
P
P
Just for kicks I emailed the seller and ask Since this sign will probably sell at a high price if they would guarantee it to be original. This is the response “We paid $1500 for the sign from a well known gas guy here in Mo. He said it was original but I have had guys say that it may not be. My husband has several vintage gas memorabilia friends and they say it is. I don't know what else to tell you really. We weren't afraid of it. Thanks” The response danced all around the question but did not offer to guarantee it.

K
K
It's my understanding that someone found 200 of these signs and sold most of them to one person.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i heard they found these 200 in Canada & Wes already said he's never seen one ....I would not beleive one word these guys are saying, they are probably made in Mexico or India or who knows where...one thing for sure is they are not real old, they are repo , bogus, fantasy what ever word you want to use....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved