Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Are you guys saying that the following is fake too?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300282665796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

If so how can you tell that it's fake? Color? White lines not right width? etc?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I read and reread this post (and might have missed it in all this discussion) and I've looked at all of the photos...but...can anyone tell me how these signs, with no holes, or mounting tabs on the backside, are/were supposed to be attached to the Mobil station??...why would Mobil have such a sign made if they couldn't hang them??

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 01-02-2009).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kosmo
"Supposedly" there were 200 of these found/made, so they will be a problem for many years to come, AND A LOT OF PI** OFF BUYERS when they find out they bought a REPO.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kosmo---Read all of the posts and it will help you understand. Noone intends to degrade an actual antique from the past but too many people get taken for a loss on these repop signs and its actually hurting the sale of legitimate signs!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kosmo, yes this sign is a fake. According to the Mobil Collectors guide, the size is wrong, there are no brackets to hang sign to wall and the pegasus signs weren't marked with a date. This seller knows he sold a fake, as I and others contacted him. I gave him the page #'s in the Guide so he could check the info himself.
Gulfiend! the original signs were made to be wall and building hangers. They all need to have brackets on the back, so they could be hung.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
some of the cookie cutter pegasus's were dated at the bottom of the belly...

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
These signs were made off of a picture of a T-53 cookie cutter pegasus. They were made, either down south, or in Europe somewhere. I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again. The big antique fairs, Brimfield or Round Top or Canton or wherever, always has these pieces of shizzle show up about a year before they start really passing around the hobby. I saw about 7-10 of these at Round Top in April of '07. They were scattered around the field typically in booths that specialized in Mexican/European import furniture or decor. I'll go again this April and invariably, there will be a new repop. These small T-53 horses are ALL repo. Don't buy some bogus BS story about 200 were found somewhere.

K
K
Seth,

Round Top PA?

Brimfield Ohio? When is that show with signs?

Canton Ohio?

K
K

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Daryl and Seth thanks for the "heads up" on some of the cookie cutters having markings. The book says nothing about markings and the pegasus in the photos have no markings.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your welcome Bob
yes kosmos thats another fake & thanks for the heads up.........its Roundtop Texas, Brimfield Massachusetts, & Canton Texas...

it seems the same people show up with these bogus signs & i sure wish there was a way to stop them as it really is hurting this hobby..

..its nice to see some new names getting involved with spreading the word about these bogus signs....i wished some of the more expierenced & expert people like Seth (does) would get involved ...

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 01-03-2009).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another one of these suckers going off in 12 hours! It was stuck under 300 for the longest time and I was hoping that people had wised up but its almost to 800 by now. I sent him an email several days ago telling him it was a repop and got no answer.
Maybe it would be a good idea for a bunch of people to email him on it! I think I'll send another one thats a little stronger.
I wish there was something we could do to make it a crime to misrepresent these repops!If it was a fraud action, I bet they wouldn't fly so fast!
I guess I'm just frustrated with having to wade thru the fraudulent signs to make sure I'm getting an honest one for my money!
Thanks for letting me vent!-----KEVIN
mad

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres the email I sent him. Will it do any good?
I doubt it!
"I had sent you an email some time back, notifying you that this was a reproduction sign and you have not posted that information on the item! You should realize that it constitutes fraud to knowingly misrepresent an item for sale!
If you ever get taken to task for this action, there is a lot of evidence for ebay to draw from that would absolve them and leave you holding the bag!
Please don't take offense as I'm only trying to be helpful and for you to be informed!"

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Several have came from a dealer in Springfield MO. I will not mention a name but it is a person that I do not trust b/c of past dealings and some of his associations.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

K
K
Yeah and they are being sold for $350 in Missouri

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved