Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111747 Wed Sep 03 2008 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
WITH THE NEW EBAY RULES STARTING SOON,I HAVE HEARD FROM OTHER EBAYERS THAT YOU STILL CAN PAY WITH A MONEY ORDER OR CHECK BASED ON HOW MANY POSITIVES OR NO NEGATIVES YOU HAVE....IS THIS TRUE?? I KNOW THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF DISCUSSION ON THIS TOPIC CONCERNING THE NEW RULES BUT I HAVEN`T HEARD ANYTHING MENTION ABOUT THIS...CAN ANYONE CLEAR UP THIS FOR ME!!!!! TXS A LOT ALAN

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
#111748 Thu Sep 04 2008 06:47 AM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I have not read anything from eBay that positive feedback ratings exempt you (the seller)from the payment policy that goes into effect soon.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
#111749 Thu Sep 04 2008 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The way I understand it.
Starting Nov. 1st ALL SELLERS WILL have to accept some kind of on line payment. Sellers CANNOT state NO PAY PAL or CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS. IF the buyer wants to pay with MO or personal check, that will be up to seller.
I sure hope this bites ebay in the *** !

#111750 Fri Sep 05 2008 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay will also be tracking the percentage of electronic payments to non-electronic payments and will send you a "nasty gram" if it gets out of balance. Kind of shoots a hole in their theory that they are a "venue only" when they can start to dictate how you accept payments and controling shipping costs. It just gets better and better.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#111751 Fri Sep 05 2008 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
whether anybody likes it or not, It is THEIR business to run the way they want, we are the "employees" who are getting more money than you could get any place for items we are selling thru their business. A business that allows us to reach people that you would never possibly find without eBay. If eBay is such a bad place, stop looking on it everyday, and place an ad in a local paper, or any publication for that matter, and see how many interested parties you may find.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#111752 Fri Sep 05 2008 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ1000: I agree that ebay has opened up a whole new avenue for all collectors. However, we are not their employees and they have gone out of their way to not take responsibility for issues that come up by saying, "we are only a venue." When you do run an ad in the newspaper or Craigslsit, they don't tell you how you have to receive payment or how much you can charge for shipping. Paypal is very unsecure in terms of your information. Go ahead and sell an expensive item to a buyer then have them claim it was broken and get their money back from Paypal with little to no recourse from the seller.

Alex
#111753 Fri Sep 05 2008 03:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Right on Alex! Ebay is ruining itself because of blatent greed. They use that lame excuse of making it a more trustworthy site so more people will use it when they are actually just trying to justify the - way out of line - Paypal fees.
More and more people were bowing out of Paypal after getting screwed or knowing someome who did....so they had to do something...."to hell with our sellers who do all the leg work, we'll force Paypal down their throats and damit they will like it or else their gone!"
If you had a check for a $1000 to cash and went to your bank and they tell you sure....but our fee is $40 you would tell them were to shove it.
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
#111754 Fri Sep 05 2008 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This "horse" has been beat to death at least 20 times since I joined Oldgas. And to be honest I haven't seen one person who complained about ebay, take their own money and start a competitor to it. Ebay spends MILLIONS each year to try and make their site better and more secure. Does it always work, of course not, but they are still trying. Last TIME I checked, the name on the "banner" was EBAY. Not "Joe's" or Sam's or ... auctions. The name on that banner is EBAY and they take the risks. Like what was said by KZ1000 don't like ebay, go somewhere else. Oh wait, the different site's like ebay that still exsist are ....... 1? Craigslist. The others for the most part died. So instead of raising hell about ebay, put your own millions down and start a site. Remember though, as in 99.99% of all business' you will be paying salaries, insurance,utilities,rent/mortgage, website designers, etc... If you can do it better, then do it and we will look in to see how you are doing and how long you last. Most banks now do charge "fees". One can go to other banks, but those that don't charge fees are leaving this planet in a hurry and the fees are getting higher and higher. But like the other thoughts on this subject, these are just something I'm throwing out there. Only mean something to me and anyone who happens to agree with me this once. LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#111755 Fri Sep 05 2008 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob: I still think ebay is the best option. Have always said it and always will. This has nothing to do with plunking down a few million and starting my own ebay. But limiting the option of payment so ebay can make more money through paypal and not fixing the problems with paypal is what has me bugged. I will probably join paypal but will not sleep nights when I list an expensuve item. Would you be happy to list a $5,000 globe, take payment and have the seller say it is not what they ordered and do a cancel through paypal and have paypal take your money without getting your side of the story? Buyer still has your item and their $5K. I realize buyers take a risk sending a check or other payment and then having a potential buyer scam them. The poice will pursue a bad check or someone who doesn't send an item. Try to get the police interested in a paypal scam by the buyer. I have a seller friend who is chasing down a $5,000 sale right now and paypal and ebay are giving him the cold shoulder and the police/county attorney are not interested. All I am saying, is if this change from ebay is so darn good, why are so many people mad about it? I know live auctions charge more, but that is a smaller market than ebay and they have fixed costs for one auction. The Texaco collectible planes/trucks I have sold in the last few years have a small profit margin. When ebay and paypal take most of the net profit, it is not worth the time. So who loses? My customers who could buy my items at $5.00 less than my competitors. not a big deal....but it is $5.00 here and there that add up. I ordered half of what I usually ordered. So ERTL will make $7,000 less from me. Maybe they will sell it to someone else, maybe not. And that $7,000 will not be going through ebays hands either, so they will miss their cut. I know it is not a blip on their radar screen. I have noticed that the Texaco items on ebay used to run in the high 2800 items. Now it is around 1500 on average. i just think that ebay could have looked for ways to get more traffic and increase profit than to squeeze more blood out of the turnip. Sorry for the long winded diatribe. Again, ebay is great, just not sure this change will help anyone.

Alex
#111756 Fri Sep 05 2008 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alex, I do understand your frustration. I sold a car (66 Mustang SCCA TransAM) at B-J Pebble Springs Auction in 2004. It took until early this year for me to get paid, but Barrett-Jackson got their commission from me within 2 days of auction. I have sold 3 other mustangs through B-J. I wasn't happy with their "customer service", but they are the biggest game in town.... Sometimes to reach the biggest audience for one's items, one must bite the bullett. I know for a fact the % fees I paid to ebay when compared to the one's I paid to B-J are miniscule. Not the dollar amount only, but the % of total sale. In fact, my ebay fees (only have sold 3 items, one a SCCA A production race car) were about half the % of my local auction house. I do realize that any fee is a pain in the a** to the seller, but check around and see what's out there. Oh for those wondering, Barrett-Jackson does decree how payment is made, so not so different than ebay. I will get off my little soapbox now before I topple over, I'm getting older every minute. LOL

#111757 Fri Sep 05 2008 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, Who had possession of the 66 Mustang SCCA TransAM during the 4 years ? Why did you wait that long ?

#111758 Fri Sep 05 2008 06:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After hearing this about B & J I'm going to think twice about consigning my Bugatti Veyron and Ferrari Enzo to them! That's unacceptable. Guess it's Ebay and Paypal again!
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
#111759 Fri Sep 05 2008 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, a drawn out ordeal. lol In '04 Williams and Richards' Racing took 3 of our cars to see what they would bring at the Barrett-Jackson Pebble Springs Concours and Auction. 2 of the 3 met reserve and were sold. One to an American interest and one to a Irish interest. B-J takes care of insuring that a buyer has the necessary funds/and or credit to complete the transaction. Like ebay and any other auction house B-J was given the line of credit taking their commission and then passing on the monies owed to the seller. Long (and I am longwinded, aren't I?) story short, the line of credit for the American interests were "phony". Lucky for us, conditional to transfer stated that I was to race the car at the Historics at Laguna Seca the following weekend. B-J's credit "bounced" and B-J got an injunction to seeze the car before it could leave CA. It took almost 4 years in court for us to get some money. Of course as I stated before B-J made us pay their commission even though we(the racing team) didn't have either the car nor the money from the sale.
We got hosed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can now laugh about it, but at the time.... Well I almost punched the Judge when she told us that the car was to be impounded until the case was settled and that we had to pay the commission to B-J.

#111760 Fri Sep 05 2008 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Who paid the impound, court fees ?

#111761 Fri Sep 05 2008 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess who Dick. When all said an done. My partner and I lost $28k dollars on the sell of this vehicle. For us, a very small team it was the end. I sold my home, moved into one of my rentals. Went to work for someone else. Then my heart problems came along and my retirement went to Drs and hospitals. Plus to tell the truth, my partner and I sued each other and ... well it's a good thing I don't have any small children because they would be paying the lawyers until they were old. But I have a small collection of Gas and Oil items, some great memories, a few trophies and more than a handful of great friends. So I guess I can't ask for anything more. Plus I have 2 of your shirts. People comment on them everytime I wear them. So lifes good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved