Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112503 Sun Jan 13 2008 02:48 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I was looking at ebay auction 230210995758 and the seller is listing the sign as an original. I have a sign that looks exactly the same and I was sure it was a reproduction. Are there any experts out there that know how to tell the difference on this one? Here's a picture of the ebay sign

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
its a repo.

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I agree with Russ.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I would call it a fantasy sign as I do not believe Gulf ever used this logo on a sign this size. In any case it is not a vintage piece.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks just like my "Ande Rooney" Gulf sign, same size also. Except mine still has the paper on the back stating it is a sign made by the "Ande Rooney Company". I contacted the seller, will see if they answer and their tone, if they do answer. I too got a reply and it does seem as if he was taken. Hopefully he didn't pay too much for this sign and will stop this auction.

[This message has been edited by Bob Richards (edited 01-13-2008).]

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i contacted him thru ebay and he said he got it at ohio gas in 06.he genuinly seemed to not know it was a repro.we 'll see if he changes the listing.

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 01-13-2008).]

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see that he is now calling it a "collector" sign and going forward with the auction. Still says it is an "original". Makes me think he knew what it was all a long and was hoping that no one would comment on it. He knows that the sign has been discussed here. Looks as if bidders are taking a closer look at this sign, top bidder just pulled their bid and believe they won't be the only one to do so.

[This message has been edited by Bob Richards (edited 01-13-2008).]

S
OP Offline
S
thanks for the info everyone, it looks like someone is going to get screwed on this one, the bidding is up to $56. The seller should be more honest considering a couple of us have already emailed him about the authenticity of the sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't believe it this sign is now up over $128. Using the words "Collector sign" is like catnip to an old cat. lol

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved