Next Thread
Print Thread
#112725 Sun Feb 19 2006 10:09 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey guys, this sign is fairly close to me. It's ebay 7218629747. I could go get it. My question is will the paint come off without damaging the sign? I've never removed paint from porcelain. I really don't think it will sell at $2500. I thought about making an offer. Any ideas as to value?
Brent

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello SS,

I seen that last night while surfing ebay...I would say 800 should be a fair price. Remember you dont know what is under that paint, could be some chipping, hale damage, or worse yet acid damage. I bought a sign off ebay and pic looked good and had paint on it also, got it home started cleaning the sign and lightly rubbing steel wool took off the porcelain down to the base color. I was mad but wasnt the owners fault. She never sold much petro before, mainly did glass ware. If the sign was cleaned up it would be another story. Plus you have your time in cleaning plus cleaning supplies, that has got to be worth something. That is my 5 cents worth.

Easy

[This message has been edited by TN Volunteer (edited 02-19-2006).]

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I use a gel paint remover to remove paint from porcelain signs, use paper towels to wipe off the paint when it bubbles and rinse very well with water when finished, if you are doing in sections rinse after each section, you can also use a plastic scraper with the paper towels. Have never had a problem, the last sign I did was a Husky northern lights. Hope this helps.

Joe

[This message has been edited by texacojoe (edited 02-19-2006).]

B
B
Brent: I think in the listing for this sign didn`t they say that the pole had been cut off? That affects the overall price as well.
As for removing paint I agree that a gel type paint remover(on a warm day) works best to clean up a porcelain sign.I make a scraper from a small piece of plywood and scrape up the paint as it bubbles up. I never use any steel wool unless the paint got into a crevice(say,where the flange joins a sign). Just my 2 cents.----Greg Brown

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Greg, Joe and Easy -- thanks for all the info. It's over tonight and I will probably make arrangements to go see it before I make an offer. Brent

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hi Brent I seen a 6 foot Lion sign in 9+ condition sell on ebay a while back for around 1000.00 with out a pole. If you are interested I know of an 5 foot sign just like this that is a 9.5+ condition for sale. Good luck Don

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Don, thanks for the info. I imagine the sign you're talking about is out of my price range. I'm going to go look at this one before I make an offer. Brent

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved