Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
has anybody ever seen this sign ?? i would believe 60's or 70's but surely not 30's.......Is it rare or fantasy?? Maybe somebody from California may know.......

http://cgi.ebay.c om/1930-Hollywood-HWY...1QQcmdZViewItem

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 12-25-2007).]

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
The back of the sign doesn't look right to me at all !!! I don't see any grommets either ???

I'll red flag it, but what do i know

R
R
Let's take a real look at this. The seller has 762 feedback, all 100% positive. They take paypal. They have a 100% money back refund. They talk about "We will make you 100% satisified". OHOOOOOOO, then they talk about the "Social Misfits, and they know who they are". Must be this last part that is giving you the most trouble.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
the guy could have ebay name "Pope John Paul" with 1 million, 100% positive feedback & I'd still have to wonder about this sign....It just doesn't look like a 30's sign,@ least in the photos... however it does have 20 bids......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As far as I know, there is no "Valley Center" drive, street, or avenue, in Hollywood. Certainly none that would be a route to the Griffith observatory. Now maybe the Mt. Palomar observatory?

But if it was for the Mt. Palomar observatory, that means the sellers description is false.

In my experience, most signs of that vintage would be showing a little more wear.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 12-26-2007).]

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
Not that it authenticates or debunks the sign, but I think Palomar is a better fit. It matches the sign more than Griffith and the state highway going there was indeed known as the "highway to the stars" and is near Valley Center. jm$.02

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just found a page that supports Dave's theory. http://www.valleycenter.com/grade1.htm

Whether the sign is real or not, I have no opinion. I could easily see someone swiping a sign early on as a souvenir. It looks rather deserted.
Hope this helps!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved