Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#114054 Wed Feb 01 2006 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...or, you could include the PayPal fees in your 'handling' charges...I personally hate handling charges, but if the guy sends a money order he pays for it, not you - why should the seller eat the fee? Let the buyer pay for the convenience...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#114055 Wed Feb 01 2006 05:55 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like a catch 22. If you list paypal as an option (which is obviously a plus for buyers), you must accept credit cards, which will at some point happen (which is obviously a negative for sellers to pay 2.9%). My first payment I rec'd was a credit card payment. But ebay knows how to make money.

T-way, I might figure out a variation on that idea. I don't like handling charges, I usually stay away from auctions that charge handling charges. I guess I understand now why they charge handling charges.

#114056 Wed Feb 01 2006 06:00 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
As an eBay seller, I prefer to keep "fees" as low as possible. Matter of fact, I generally charge only actual shipping cost plus a buck or two for my time and materials. As a buyer, I hate paying "handling" charges or even inflated shipping fees. Therefore, I try to be fair as a seller.

The problem with upgrading to the PayPal Business account is that you're stuck with the fees forever. I've been on eBay over 8 years and don't mind waiting for a mailed payment. If you sell enough, that 3% adds up over time.

#114057 Wed Feb 01 2006 06:08 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Re: "...or, you could include the PayPal fees in your 'handling' charges"

Gulfiend...
The problem with the handling charge is that you will still have a problem with eBay if you state that the charge is for PayPal payments only. If the charge is for all bidders then you will irritate bidders who pay with check or money order. Personally, I refuse to bid if a seller has an inflated handling charge or shipping cost.

Paul

#114058 Wed Feb 01 2006 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...hey - I hate them too...but you gotta do what you gotta do...you could always ask the buyer how he intends to pay - then make the determination on what to charge...seems to me as long as you don't state such a policy, you got no problems...

...besides, it's supposedly against ebay rules to offer a seller $$ to end an auction early - but NOBODY does that, right??...

...personally I think PayPal makes enough off the interest where they shouldn't have to stick the seller - and if they DO have to have that 3%, then the buyer should pay for the convenience...seems like BidPay did that, but like Western Union, they just wanted too much damn money for their "service"...

...you're right - 3% does add up over time...but a 3% handling charge isn't likely to rub anyone the wrong way...

...I just ran some auctions and one of the buyers sent me PayPal for the winning bid amount (nothing for shipping) before I had the shipping quoted - so, he had to send two PayPal payments...either I add a little to the shipping, or I get hit TWICE for PayPal fees - just because the seller jumped the gun...

...and, just for the record: I don't charge a 'handling' charge when I sell on ebay, just actual postage, plus insurance and delivery confirmation...I recycle packing material that I get for free as a result of my job, so I don't have to charge for that...and I have received no complaints about my packing/shipping job in over 1000 transactions...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#114059 Wed Feb 01 2006 07:17 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am going to think about adding a 3% handling charge if I upgrade. I can't remember if you can do the handling charge as a percent or a total fee. I guess I need to read the agreement again, but when you upgrade to Premier, do you pay the fees on EVERY transaction, or just credit cards?

#114060 Wed Feb 01 2006 09:16 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
That's the whole problem!! Once you upgrade to the PayPal Business account, fees are incurred for ALL transactions even if the buyer pays with PayPal or bank account funds. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the fees were only charged when accepting credit card payments. That way you could decide which auctions to list with PayPal as a payment option.

Paul

#114061 Thu Feb 02 2006 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my two cents. I accept paypal and don't give a rip about the fees because I feel paypal attarcts more buyers which pushes the final price up. Maybe not the high rollers that have the $$$$ to play but America as a whole lives on credit cards.Get one bid that bumps up the final price and you pay the paypal fees. Might be different once you cross the $1000 mark but I don't ever list stuff that would run that much. As far as handling charges thrown in the shipping I always see what it would cost to ship and unless I get the item dirt cheap I stay away from it if shipping seems out of line. I can't say I never bid on it but I better come out about half of what the item is worth in order to pay their handling fees. I think the seller is shooting themselves in the foot when they add a handling charge that is huge in their austions. I charge $1 for handling to cover a box and shipping materials here and there.To each there own and remember the bottom line, ebay and paypal still end up the big winners.
So far great post with nobody slamming anyone else. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
pca-west.org

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun