Next Thread
Print Thread
#114150 Wed Jan 24 2007 12:48 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Im just wondering how do you tell if someone is intentionally passing off fakes, or if maybe they werent taken themselves and dont know it?
I ask because I am thinking of buying and selling petroliana as a hobby, but Im a newbie and despite the fact that I bought some books and am studying this, I wont have a forth of the knowledge that some of you guys have about spotting a fake. Im a little concerned that 1. I will be taken, and 2. that you guys would think I was a fraud if I tried to sell a fake that I thought was an original.
Finally, if you are sure something is a fake on ebay, shouldnt you make the seller and/or ebay aware of that?
Just wondering.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#114151 Wed Jan 24 2007 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
John:

Go ahead with your buying and selling. Just do as much homework as possible, ask us here if you have any doubts, and offer a 100% money back guarentee if not as advertized.

Give the buyer a week or so to check out their purchase - then it's theirs!

----------------------

Regarding e-bay: We try, but e-bay makes it harder and harder to alert newbies about fakes. And they don't always take the initiative to remove/punish those sellers that intentionally mis-lead or activately scam buyers.

Later . . .

Jim

#114152 Wed Jan 24 2007 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi John- there is lots of knowledge here on site But the best way is to get to as many shows- swap meets etc as possible- Like show in feb- in conn- March Mason Dixon -April Metro petro- new one in Syracuse in June etc- Look at stuff in Antique shops but dont rely on their expertise- never found an antique shop that would admit to a reproduction item- Unless you know the History on an item if it seems "Too good to be true" it proabaly isnt- hope this helps-thanks Don- got any 5 qt cans- lots up your way were nailed to trees to collect Maple syrup

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#114153 Sat Jan 27 2007 07:45 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks for the advice. I bought some books so will study up before I get anything.
Don, Ill keep my eye out for them, have a pic so I know what Im looking for? Actually, Im about to go to the metal bin at the dump where I saw a fairly old looking oil can when I went last week. I was thinking of taking it then, decided against it and regretted it all week. Shh, dont tell my wife. She gets mad when I bring stuff home from the dump!

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved