Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
5 quart Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Total of oil and gas items is currently less than 5800- lowest in years- Is Grandmas attic finially empty- estate sales gone- sellers tired of listing same Hess trucks and toys - fantasy items over and over and getting no buyers- Oil and Gas listings really have not changed much since about 1997-then there were about 500 items all worth looking at- today there is still about 500 items out of 5to 8 thousand worth looking at- your comments welcome -thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Don,
Good observation. When I first got on eBay in late 1997, the Gas & Oil section always had LESS than 100 signs on any given day. Usually, around 70 or 80. Not many collectors knew about eBay at the time, so the prices were relatively low. I wish I had bought more back then!!

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I noticed this also and figure it is just that time of year when people have a lot of other things to do other than watch and list items on Ebay. Ebay has been running alot of seller specials also which may indicate low numbers across the board in all catagories.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Don, your post answers the issue. There is still the same amount of worthwhile items to look at, it is the influx of the vast amount of insignificant stuff that buries the rest. 99 cent magazine adds, suicide knobs, pin backs, paper weights, coffee mugs and novelty signs I can do without.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
putting original petroliana and repop in separate catagories would make better. they do it in other things.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Re: "putting original petroliana and repop in separate catagories would make better."

Yes, I agree. However, it would be difficult and require a total revamp of the Gas & Oil category. That's because unlike the Advertising "Signs" category, the "Gas & Oil" category is further divided by brand. Therefore, eBay would have to eliminate the brand categories or establish an "original" and "reproduction" category for each individual brand.

When you examine these various eBay problems closely, sometimes you find there are no easy answers.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ebay already has a seperate REPRODUCTION category. BUT ebay doesn't force sellers to list their repo junk there. Instead they list right along with originals...
Ebay needs to enforce Their own rules before any change will happen...
~Same goes for feedback problem!~

------------------

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Re: "Ebay already has a seperate REPRODUCTION category."

NOT TRUE!!!

See my previous post and search through the entire "Gas & Oil" category. There is NO "reproduction" sub-category. Only the Advertising/Other Advertising "Signs" category has a "reproduction" sub-category.

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 05-06-2007).]

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I just meant 1 REPRODUCTION category is enough for ALL the Advertising section already...I ALSO agree they need to MAKE IT a category instead of sub-category!
They just need to enforce items being placed there and NOT elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by tomzcollectiblez (edited 05-06-2007).]

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe all the good stuff is in collectors hands? I have stuff to sell but like having it for the shows. So much repop junk and scam artists I wont' spend the $$$$ on ebay unless I know the seller. I remember when I started ebay in 98. Lots of good stuff and prices were really good. If I had a crystal ball I could give you the answers. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Seems like Ebay is most likely headed for harder times. Good time for 'sell short' options on ebay stock. Stock prices are sure to take a hit in the coming months. Ted, like the idea of a crystal ball. However, probably won't be long before some scammer has one for sale on ebay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Speaking of Crystal Balls....

I had a friend who was an economist and had to do forecasting. He had a saying that, "If youleave by the crystal ball, you had better learn to eat ground glass."

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved