Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114529 Wed Jan 03 2007 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dear eBay Community Member,

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.com and eBay Motors which go into effect on January 30, 2007.
Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

Core Listing Fees: Auction-Style & Fixed Price*

Fee Type Item Price New Fee Current Fee
Insertion Fee
Starting Price: $1.00 - $9.99 new $0.40 old$0.35
Final Value Fee Selling Price:
$25.01 - $1000.00 new 3.25% old 3%

*Does not impact Store Inventory Listings.

eBay Motors Vehicles Fees

The fees listed above will also apply to Parts & Accessories.
Fee Type New Fee Current Fee
Motorcycles & Powersports
Transaction Services Fee new $40 old $30
Cars & Trucks, Other
Vehicles & Trailers
Transaction Services Fee new $50 old $40
Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price
($5 minimum,
$10 maximum) $5

[This message has been edited by nochevys (edited 01-03-2007).]

Got Socony???

Tom
#114530 Thu Jan 04 2007 07:07 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
"we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers"

Yeah, more like, "we believe its the right thing to do for our profit margins"

#114531 Thu Jan 04 2007 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In looking over that email they sent me this came to mind:

While some of you may have disagreed with what I used to sell on ebay.com "condoms" - I was able to make $13,000.00 gross selling those 4 years ago. My net sales were only about $4,500.00. Not too bad for 2002. By 2003 they started raising there prices and I was selling the same amount of product on ebay.com but only made $1,200.00 in net sales. By 2004 it was not even worth doing because I was only making about $100.00 net in sales while all the time selling the same gross amount. Looking at my tax reports the condom supplier, and then the post office, ebay.com, office depot, and paypal.com were the only ones getting my money. At the end of the day there was hardly anything left for me and my time.

At the time I started selling on ebay.com there were only 170 auctions listed for condoms and about 4 different sellers other then me. I was the top seller and the first with the ebay.com buy it now store. I had to STOP selling because other people "thinking" they too can make money selling the same thing on ebay.com jumped into the market - flooding it. My sales were dropping FAST because non-winner auctions were starting to close costing me fees, non-paying bidders were starting to increase again hitting me with fees, the post office was raising there prices costing me more and so on. Today I did a search and found 2200 condom auctions on ebay.com - and under the completed it looks like only 1% are selling now.

What people do not understand is that this is a business. While 1 or 2 gas stations can sell gas on a corner and pay there bills, if 100 people start selling gas on that same corner – no one can make a profit. That seems to be fine for the people that do not pay taxes or keep logs of there expenses… I have found that most ebay.com sellers are very dumb when it comes to business and they seem to think there time is FREE, and the packing materials are FREE, and the computer is FREE, and the internet access is FREE. They seem to think they only have to pay ebay.com and paypal.com. Heck my tax person says I am the only person she knows of that files returns for my ebay.com income with the database of expenses.

While we may call it business I wonder how long this can go on. A local music store in town told me they can not sell on ebay.com because of the franchise rules, but they can not sell the NEW music instruments to me for less then I can buy them from other franchises that are breaking the rules and selling on ebay.com “through there wives” even with the shipping. The only thing the local music store has over the ebay.com seller is I can get the music instrument NOW and I can inspect it before paying for it.

I had a major gas pump parts supplier black ball me and refuse to sell to me because I was starting to manufacture parts and sell them to others on this OLDGAS.com forum. They told me I knew nothing of business and I was stupid for trying to “compete” with them. While that seems stupid I think they were more scared of what I was doing then anything. What I make and sell on ebay.com now is the FRY conduit, light sockets, and the original style hammer head rods. There is not a lot of money in it, and I am not going to “get rich”. But the suppliers could not get me the parts I needed correctly manufactured, so I did it myself and I am selling off my leftovers. It makes me wonder… With ebay.com raising there fees again and me being the only one selling these new things how long will it be before 2200 other people start doing the same thing making it impossible for me to?

What will be the fall out of ebay.com in the future and how will it affect our hobby?

While it did make it easier to find hard to get parts and buy pumps did it help or hurt the hobby in the long run?

How is ebay.com going to affect our nicer pump suppliers like Vic’s 66 in the future?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#114532 Thu Jan 04 2007 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHY was the USPS costing ya money ?
99% of all auctions the Buyer pays for shipping @ an inflated rate most of the time.

I was going to bid on another can sealer, Seller wants $42 s/h, OEM ships the same item for $22.
db

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved