Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#114594 Fri Jan 25 2008 03:04 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
The auction's you are talking about were for fantasy lenses, there not even reproductions. In order to be reproductions they would of had to be made originally first. The auctions have ended. If an Ebay buyer couldn't tell those were fantasy, then they should get out of the hobby. LOL

BL

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#114595 Fri Jan 25 2008 04:27 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I just want to say cheese has been good to me in all of are dealings, Above and beyond whatever I asked for.

ward zaharia

#114596 Fri Jan 25 2008 06:07 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Brian,
Cheese has over 10 globes on ebay that are NOT fantasy globes. I was not referring to fantasy globes. It looks like he has now revised the descriptions to make it clear that they are originals, not reproductions.
To be clear, I in no way called into question Cheese's integrity. I simply agreed with another post that it would be helpful ( especially to new guys) if he ( and every other seller on ebay)would put "original" or "repro" in the decription. Similarly, it would be helpful if he, and everyone for that matter, would clearly state if it is just one lens up for auction. Sometimes it is difficult to tell.
I cant tell if you were joking when you said 'if they cant tell a fantasy piece they should get out of the hobby.' I assume by the LOL it was a joke, but I have seen the experts here fooled many times, especially with signs. Obviously, people new to the hobby can be fooled easier. You could say its their own ignorance, and its "buyer beware" on ebay, but I would hope members of this site would encourage new collectors, and therefore do everything they can to prevent someone from being misled. One bad experience is enough to stop a newcomer from joining this hobby that we all love. It also turns away a potential buyer for those who make money at this. Simple economics: More people in the hobby, the prices of collections go up.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#114597 Fri Jan 25 2008 07:06 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Excellent, Vermonter;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

#114598 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:08 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Vermonter and KZ1000. Your posts are spot on and you did nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with your question at all in my mind. Cheese is an honest seller and does have others help with his listings. He has a lot of things on ebay and I don't think for a minute that he would have not mentioned a reproduction if he knew and was the one who listed the item. And he would give a refund if you didn't like the item. And about the nasty emails...one of my first posts on this site was about a few guys on ebay who put "globe" and "sign",etc. in every ebay listing. One of those guys was Cheese and once it became known I recieved all kinds of hate mail. Some if it from some of the same people who claim to be so offended when anyone asks a question about a sign or a globe or whatever it may be that their friend or they have for sale. I have to laugh when I see guys so offended by the possibility that a general "crybaby" comment might have been about them and that a member gets suspended because of it. Who is it that needs to "grow up" around here? I work in a machine shop and guys give each other a tough time ALL DAY LONG. I don't think a lot of you would last a day! Call me anything you want. I don't care and I won't even hold it against you. I can understand that other people feel differently about things than I do without getting all crybaby about it. Cheese knows he is an honest seller and a stand up guy and he can defend himself if he thinks he needs to. Some of you guys think EVERYTHING is a personal attack. Who's sticking up for the poor guy in Argentina selling all the cool signs? That guy gets bashed here all the time. If we can't ask questions without fear of being tossed out of here because someone knows the guy we are asking the question about then who's gonna post?
And since JJ didn't just edit his post but it flat out disappeared I guess we can now say for sure who one of the mystery "watchdogs" are.

#114599 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:20 PM
W
W
Maybe NOT.
ANY Mod. can DELETE a post.

#114600 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Too often the written word and the thoughts behind it do not jibe. One types one thought and too often the reader understands it completely differently than meant. If one is a collector sooner or later they will be tricked. Whether it is a sign,globe,painting or a car that someone claims all numbers match. Reproductions and fantasy items are becoming more and more common as "original" items become scarcer. There have been tv shows about auto rebuilders who build a fantasy car and then sell it at auction for big bucks. For some reason they are held in high regard. We have seen this become more and more common in our hobby. It was common for items to be destroyed as logos and/or companies changed. Stations changed ownership and the old was thrown out like yesterday's trash. But we here have a responsibility to make sure that we don't cast doubt on a seller, without solid proof of deceit. Too often this has not been the case and disagreements have at times gotten out of hand. I have been guilty of this and I left for a while. Some may not be glad that I came back. But to write something here carries a lot of weight, a lot of people read it. Whether it is correct or not. Just something to think about.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#114601 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I asked to have mine removed to keep out of an arguement. I am not replying to this topic!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#114602 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:38 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Why not JJ? There was nothing wrong with your post. Why do you guys think every little thing is an argument? Why is it we can't discuss these things? They are probably laughing their asses off about this thread at Cheeses site.

And who is this Bowser guy. New guy. No Location. Seems to know the moderator thing. Are you one of the "Watchdogs"? What was your name before "Bowser"? Hmmmm?

#114603 Fri Jan 25 2008 09:58 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Know were not, there laughing about some **** that collects Skelly.

JJ, I'd like to of read your post, I bet it wasn't that bad or bad at all.

BL

Edit to remove unacceptable word

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 01-26-2008).]

#114604 Fri Jan 25 2008 10:11 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Bowser@oldgas.com
Guess you are one of the watchdogs! I think all this anonymous "watchdog" stuff is chicken ****. We all know that guys are prejudiced to the people they know. I don't think its right that we don't know where these guys stand and who they are. How do we know that if we question something your buddy has for sale that our comments won't be pulled just because of that? A lot of the popular guys on this site have bad feelings about others. How can we trust that the "watchdogs" don't come with baggage about members. The last thing I need is Bennett and Thunder moderating my posts! LOL!

#114605 Fri Jan 25 2008 10:15 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
RARIN TO GO:

"Bowser@oldgas.com
Guess you are one of the watchdogs! I think all this anonymous "watchdog" stuff is chicken ****."

+1

BL

#114606 Fri Jan 25 2008 10:49 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
OK...I was just about asleep and I thought of this.

Bowser=Bennett
Look at the post.

"Maybe NOT.
ANY Mod. can DELETE a post."

JUST like Dick writes with LOTS of ALL CAPS words in the middle of his sentences. SURE seems like QUITE a COINCEDENCE to me.

#114607 Fri Jan 25 2008 11:01 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFF

I like the watchdog idea, really keeps me on my toes!

Good doggie, doggie......

#114608 Sat Jan 26 2008 06:23 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'm mostly new to this as a hobby and I'm really glad there is a site such as this to share our information. I was raised in a service station and we knew who did good, fair, and proper repairs. The same way some of you know who is good to deal with, or who you won't deal with. People being people it's good to have folks who are willing to put themselves out there and sometimes take the heat to be moderators. I, for one want to thank them. Bill

William J. Bailey
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved