Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114866 Wed Nov 21 2007 05:51 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I am just getting started with a few signs in my collection and found this site. I already have a few nice Mobil signs, but I see one on ebay that is much different than the one I have. The auction number I am looking at is 150184823975. I see three things for sure that are different than mine on this sign I am thinking about buying. The one listed is missing the dot behind the "A" in USA. Also, that "O" in Gargoyle has a red line inside it, and mine is missing this. Last but not least is the mouth of the Gargoyle. My Gargoyle has his mouth open, and the color inside the mouth is white, not red like this listing. Perhaps they made a few different designs in this sign, and I need to add this one to my small collection. Any help?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We have talked about this sign in the past and I believe the one on ebay you posted the number for is possibly an unmarked repo? The seller states the history as unknown and has posted on this site. Others will probably chime in.

Keith

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 11-21-2007).]

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Rick, welcome to Old Gas. I have never seen a Gargoyle sign that has the mouth filled in. I would say that is a reproduction or fantasy sign. It just does not look right, all the way from the lettering to the Gargoyle to the back. My guess is that an original sign would have a white back. I would pass. Just my 2 cents worth. Any other opinions?
Brent

P
P
The general concensus from collectors here on OldGas and other places on these signs is that they were most likely made in the last 10 years overseas. That said, they still sell in the $100-$175 range. If your objective is to collect nice original signs, my advice would be to pass on this sign and the other similar versions of it that are available.

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 11-22-2007).]

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
R
OP Offline
R
18 E-Mails were sent to me since I posted this question. Like the people who posted to this topic, all agree this sign is a FAKE! I wounder if the high bidder knows they are bidding on a FAKE? Who was it that said not once, not twice, but many times "We must be VIGILANT"?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I guess this is what Oldgas has come to, for fear of getting the God almighty Boot !!!

18 private emails, Rather then informing other collectors, who aren't wise to this yet.

[This message has been edited by blackteetexacogold (edited 11-23-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick,
Some guys would rather send a private e-mail rather than post it here because they don't want to get it to confrontation with others on there opinion. I don't know of anyone getting booted off oldgas for giving an opinion. I would guess 18 people saying it look fake would makes it a fake. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is some interesting reading on the subject. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009480.html

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I 'PERSONALLY KNOW OF SOMEONE BOOTED' for an offline email....Go Figure

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The best bet is if it is out of states it is more than likely a repop. Not all the time just sometimes.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
R
OP Offline
R
Normally I would not toss the baby out with the bath water. I have viewed some great signs that were not here in the US, and I am not talking about the candyshop. The sign in question is in Sugar Land Texas and from the flood of E-Mails I have been getting from people on this site, the seller is / or was a regular on this site.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved