Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#115162 Fri Jan 02 2009 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I've always wondered about this type of sign! Did mobil ever make one that looked like this? I stay away from them because the wording always looks amateurish and theres never any hole rivets and the backsides always look phony! Am I too overly cautious? I've only been burned once for a small amount and it was my own fault because I just had to know, but these signs just seem to shout STAY AWAY!
Opinions? http://cgi.ebay.com/MOBIL-OIL-SIGNS-1930...1QQcmdZViewItem

[This message has been edited by K W FRITH (edited 01-02-2009).]

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'D QUESTION IT AS WELL, THE GRAPHICS ARE FAR FROM PERFECT ESP IN THE FONTS. BETTER TO TURN AND WALK AWAY THAN GET BURNED HERE!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i don't trust it as well, especially since the orange version came out, which is suppose to be rare..lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The letters are way off(according to the Mobil collectors guide). The red stripe location is off, especially on the "A". According to book it should be below the space in "A" not through it. And what happened to the second G and the Y? Also (I love this little book) the bars under the gargoyle are wrong. The bottom line should be broken not solid and only 1 bar at feet not 2. If it is porcelain why all the rust on the back? Didn't the porcelain process lay a base coat on the back as well as the front? Can someone help me with this question? Most of my signs are pressed metal and I never checked the back of my pump plates.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i am not a sign guy, and i knew what you were talking about before i even hit the link....they are aweful looking

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Do you think that the fact that the seller misspelled the word "GUARANTEED" may be a clue to the sign's authenticity???

------------------
Frank

Frank
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sent him an email on it, be interesting to see if he acknowledges it. These reproductions have me so spooked that I don't dare buy anything unless I'm sure! Thanks guys!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keith, I sent one also asking about the "quaranteed". I asked how they know for certain that this signs is orginial? I kind of doubt that I will get an answer besides, "the guy who sold it to me said his dad had it for over 50 years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This sign was heavily discussed a while ago. Here's the link....http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009480.html

I'm not sure why my links don't work anymore so, you'll have to copy and paste.

[This message has been edited by Scott Baselt (edited 01-03-2009).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SCOTT, YOU SHOULD'VE LEFT ONE SPACE BETWEEN THE PERIODS AND THE LINKS SO IT WAS NOT CONNECTED TO THE SENTENCE, KINDA LIKE THIS..... http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009480.html

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, I was wrong I did get a reply on how he knows the sign is an original. Here is his answer; "Hi Bob I have seen all the price guide books, and there are two of the same signs on ebayer now, if you look at them you will see the a,g, o, y are off center too, i have had two others like this and all were the same, but the diffent back on mine , tells me it original and thanks again, Steve"
So lets see if I(Bob) understand, others are selling signs on ebay just like yours. You have had other signs in the past like the one your selling and you knew they were reproductions. According to the guide books your sign IS wrong, but yours has a different back so it must be original????? Gotta love some people. After reading his response, I would run in the other direction even faster. He never did address his "quarantee" or guarantee, but he was polite. And ofcourse, He didn't tell me that a "well-known petroliana moderator" in the St. Louis area gave it "his blessings". LOL

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
There are so many repos of this sign out there I would never buy one off Ebay. The original ones come up now & then.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob---I see he isn't up to posting any questions along with the item on ebay! He hasn't responded to me at all but I told him point blank that it was considered a repop and he probably wasn't up to a reply.
Scary thing for beginners like me! I need to get a mobil sign guide I guess. Who sells them?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, Jim sells them right here in the "Bookstore". I have purchased more than a couple books here. Good prices and very fast shipping. (I sound like a comercial, lol)

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Boy do I feel dumb! I've never surfed thru all the different avenues of this website but I'm making up for it today!!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Doc. I was wondering what I was doing wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved