Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Ya know, this whole feedback change is a poor idea in every way. Of course the sellers are now going to have to put up with buyers that'll hold that negative feedback over their heads for free items or whatever they want without any way for the seller to protect themselves. If you're a seller and sell over 10 items a month, expect some negs to come your way real fast.

But this is the exact reason why these "improvements" are going to hurt the buyers, probably even more than the sellers. With all these honest sellers now getting negs, how are the buyers going to be able to tell the good eggs from the bad? And I do feel smart buyers try to avoid the bad eggs.

Besides, what difference does it really make if a buyer has a few negs anyhow? Most snipe, and if they pay the transactions goes through no matter how poor their rating is. Honest sellers, some who use ebay to put the food on their table, rely on their reputation, which is reflected in their feedback.

Lose/lose for sure.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 02-06-2008).]

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I'm not saying this change is any better but I learned you could never leave negative feedback due to retalitory feedback. You could buy an item listed as new or perfect condition, pay immediately by paypal and get a piece of garbage. You then leave negative feedback telling the gods truth and the the seller responds with another pile of garbage saying your a bad buyer or should have asked questions or even worse attack you personally. I don't know what the answer is but it was broke the other way too. I wouldn't leave negative feedback even when deserved because I did't want my stellar feedback record tainted buy some jerk.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by jrwienri (edited 02-06-2008).]

[This message has been edited by jrwienri (edited 02-06-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback is bad enough but it gets worse. Have you ebay sellers seen this recent change?

"Search Visibility
Search visibility will be tied to customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is reflected in a combination of DSRs, Feedback, and fewer complaints filed of an item being "significantly not as described" (SNAD) or "item not received" (INR). In March 2008, Best Match will become the default sort in search to give more buyers the results they want and will:
Increase exposure for sellers with DSRs 4.6 and above and at least 95% customer satisfaction in the last 30 days.
Decrease exposure for sellers with low customer satisfaction or Shipping & Handling DSRs."

It sure looks like a couple of buyers with an agenda can hurt a (good) seller's feedback rating without fear of the seller retaliating and in turn ebay will bury that seller's listings!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Slowly but surely I'm convinced that the best way to go in the long run, is to buy & sell from reputable people that deal on this Oldgas site. I'm somewhat new here (year & half), but have dealt with great folks. Feedbacks aren't really necessary to be posted here. Word of mouth has a good way of weeding out the "bad apples". My only hesitation on selling here, is that I sometimes honestly don't know the values of items & how to price them. Thus maybe getting some sarcastic remarks from someone for the whole world to see! I value my reputation & integrity higher than any earthly piece of merchandise. I feel that I know some of you very well from this site, but have never met you personally. Thanks for listening! Sam

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is eBay's response:

=====================
We believe that we will reduce any imbalance in the Feedback system with these changes. Buyers will be able to more accurately assess sellers and sellers will be protected from buyers who violate our policies without risking a cut in good buyer activity.
=====================

I am not sure how sellers will be protected? Maybe most of you don't know but if you as a buyer get 3 or 4 –‘s in a row you are reviewed for suspension.

I have used peoples feedback before to ban them from my auctions or even cancel their bidding because it just waist my time and money when they don’t pay plus when they don’t pay you still owe eBay for the auction cost and closing fees!

This is the time for Microsoft or Yahoo auctions to pounce on eBay and put them out of the biz for good. All these major players have to do now is start advertising and pushing their auction sites and eBay will have a major problem.

From looking over the eBay forums 100% of the sellers are tweaked off and 100% of the buyers are tweaking them more by laughing about how they are going to use it to get even with people.

Talk about an imbalance!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
"This is the time for Microsoft or Yahoo auctions to pounce on eBay and put them out of the biz for good"

You couldn't be more correct! I went over to Yahoo auctions after I heard of all these "improvements" and found they closed their doors months ago.

When eBay made minor changes in the past and jacked their fees up 1/4% at a time, people got mad but got over it quickly. These are some major changes this time that directly hurt the people that are putting the money in eBay’s pockets - the sellers. The only problem is, since there are really no competitors (meaning options) to speak of, then this is just the way it has to be. But as Travis said, if some other big spender ever has the guts to go up against eBay, now is a perfect time to do it.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 02-07-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Death by a Thousand Cuts?

===============

* “Following eBay's announcement last week, the Overstock (OSTK) team worked through the weekend to design a new strategy highlighting its lesser-known auctions space, said Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne. The result? Overstock, in Salt Lake City, will redesign the header on its homepage to direct more traffic to its auctions tab. It plans to accelerate a software rollout that will beef up its auctions community message boards - and it's laying plans to produce 15-second Internet commercials to get the word out. "We think the time is right to position ourselves in this category," Byrne said. “Even Amazon has noticed an uptick in new seller accounts in the last week. Best known in its early days as an online bookstore, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) expanded into consumer electronics and other categories, and in 2000 began allowing third-party sellers to list their wares alongside Amazon's offerings. All products are offered at a fixed price.Today, 26% of all items sold on Amazon come from its 1.3 million third-party sellers, who range from mom-and-pop vendors to Target Corp (TGT) (Fortune 500).”

* Yahoo Stores, Independant WebStore platforms, eBid.net, Play.com, Etsy.com, Google (GOOG) Product Search, Google and Yahoo (YHOO) paid search and BuyBack sites are going after consumers who may become casual sellers.

* “OnlineAuction.com, based in Grants Pass, Ore., reports that roughly 7,500 new sellers have opened accounts since eBay announced its new policies last week. That's a 15% jump in the site's user base, within a matter of days.”

* “Another contender, eCrater, has registered 1,400 new sellers within the last few days. That's more than double the site's average weekly total.”

* “Another upstart attracting attention from fleeing eBayers, San Francisco's iOffer, is built around a focus on friendly engagement between buyers and sellers. Sellers can transfer their eBay feedback scores to iOffer. . . iOffer has accumulated 75,000 sellers and nearly 1 million total users since its 2002 launch.”

* Another auction site, Chicago-based uBid, targets bulk sellers liquidating excess inventory. Its 7,000 participants include Sony (SNE), Motorola (MOT) (Fortune 500) and Dell (DELL) (Fortune 500). All sellers submit to a 10-point financial exam to ensure they're qualified to do business on the site: "That's part of our stringent anti-fraud stance," said uBid CEO Jeff Hoffman.”

* “… the auction site Bidville, which uBid purchased in 2006, does focus on what Hoffman calls "consumer-to-consumer" sales - the market eBay now dominates. More than 350,000 sellers are registered on Bidville, but 25,000 active accounts provide most of the site's 1 million listings, Hoffman said. “

=====================

Not one of these cuts will be fatal, but when you add them up they are beginning to drain the lifeblood of eBay, the seller.

I'm not predicting the imminent demise of eBay, but if they don't do something quickly to stop the bleeding, they may find themselves as just another marketplace and my guess is that this 800 lb. gorilla is going to weight a lot less.

Has anyone been watching eBay's STOCK value this week?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thanks for the info Travis , interesting reading;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please, ebay is not going away. Yahoo is fighting for it's life from being bought by Microsoft. Amazon has been bleeding money, for years now. Overstock is going to put out 15 sec "spots" at over a million dollars each and they are going to be able to keep costs down?
In last 3 years I have checked out atleast 10 different auction sites, none are around now. Ebay, is the biggest and is the "bully on the street". I don't sell on ebay, so I don't have a "dog in the fight". The new policy towards feedback does seem to be self defeating. It doesn't seem to be even close to being the correct answer. I can't understand anyone who wants to hurt a seller just for the hell of it. But it will happen, way too often under this new policy, as there doesn't seem to be any check and balances. I do feel for all that get caught up in this...........

[This message has been edited by Bob Richards (edited 02-07-2008).]

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Again fellas...ebay is not interested anymore in people selling antiques. The real money is in getting people to open stores like mine. I've got over 1000 listings that self-renew every 30 days. Each listing has an inventory amount, so when one sells, if you have more in stock, another "listing" starts up with one less in inventory. You pay a small fee, say .10 for each item every 30 days UNTIL someone buys your item. I believe ebay would rather see the high-value antiques and stuff like it to just go away. There is so much more risk involved for fraud and buyer-dissatisfaction, that I believe they are basically just trying to move into an "internet" within the "internet", where people basically get online and never leave ebay. To a lot of people, ebay IS the internet.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Seth you’re very right about the Internet thing, my mom talks about how she gets on the Internet everyday for hours.

BUT.

My wife and I tell her all the time that the Internet is OUTSIDE of aol.com’s networked chat rooms…

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Ebay hit a 52 week low the day after they announced the changes and all the analysts lowered their ratings on the stock, so its pretty apparent that the market doesnt think the changes will be positive for business.
Ebay is obviously the biggest in the biz, but GM was once too and with internet businesses, fates change a lot more quickly than conventional businesses. I think ebay is vulnerable...not to going out of business, but losing its total dominance. If that happens, then they are in real trouble.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Vermonter, I agree, e-bay is probably not going out of business but I welcome other options. Lets see what happens.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Email them a letter, telling them your thoughts and tell'em your going to refuse selling on their site, and "DO IT" !!!

What can it hurt ?

The reserve not being refunded, after it hits is what really *******.

Edit to remove unacceptable language

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 02-09-2008).]

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Wow !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved