Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11551 Sat Oct 27 2007 09:20 AM
J
JohnT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I recently completed Phase One of the restoration & rehabilitation of a 1938 Cities Service gas station in downtown Marshall, Texas. The station is a Tudor, cottage-style structure. The main building is 320 sq ft and has four rooms (one tiny interior restroom and a larger outside access restroom). Thanks to vintage photographs and the stories from local old-timers, I've been able to pretty much return the station to it's original appearance. In Phase Two, I plan to try and replace the original signage, the metal awnings over the front windows, and install two period gas pumps out front. The detached wash bay is totally completed except for trying to clear the drain (which may be impossible).

It would appear that Cities Service built dozens, if not hundreds, of these stations .. almost all pretty much identical (maybe the floor plan was sometimes reversed). I've identified them in four Texas locations, also in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee. I'd love to hear from folks who can provide the location of identical existing stations and photos would be fantastic.

Photos of my station can be found at http://www.thisoldservicestation.com If you have information for me and/or photos, you can use the "contact" page of the site or just send an email to me through this forum.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#11552 Sat Oct 27 2007 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you find anything up in the attic?

In order to change the bulbs behind the globe lenses on the gables, can you get to them from the attic?

I've seen a wall-mount globe that had a single lens, and the back was solid sheet metal with a swinging door for bulb access. Might this be what these units are?

It's amazing they weren't broken or stolen over the years...

Wes

#11553 Sat Oct 27 2007 10:08 AM
J
JohnT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It's a little spooky up there (in the attic) trying to balance on those joists (no decking and no treasures) and wondering if a giant rat might jump on me, but, as best I can determine the lenses have no rear access nor wiring to them so they must not be lighted. They probably weren't vandalized or stolen because they had about eight coats of paint covering them for years. The wash bay has an attic and a lens but I've not been up there. As you can see from the pic, the wash bay lens is turned upside down.

#11554 Sat Oct 27 2007 12:17 PM
M
M
What a great project... Would love to find a service station like this up here to move my business in.

I know your business is not related to this but inside it is obvious that you need at least one restored cities gas pump...

Maybe it is already in process ??

Mike

Mike
#11555 Sat Oct 27 2007 12:49 PM
J
JohnT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks mMike, I was very fortunate with this structure, especially since its condition was so good. There are literally hundreds of old stations all over east Texas but most are long neglected and collapsing due to rot and termites. About the pump .. I just acquired three Southwest mod 72CR-1's and I plan to restore two of them (using parts from the third) and place them in front of the station. You can learn more about the pumps under the topic of "Southwest Pumps Information Needed" in this forum.

#11556 Sat Oct 27 2007 01:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WOW.. You really are lucky to be able to do this. This is my dream some day. I salute you for taking this forgotten building and restoring it to its original glory. I really enjoy seeing projects such as yours take shape. I pass by some old stations around here and think..well, maybe someday..

The only kicker would have been to find all the original signs and stuff in the attic!

#11557 Sat Oct 27 2007 06:39 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
John:

You be a lucky man brother, wishing you the best with the rest of your dream !

Thanks for the Show & Tell

Very Cool

BlackT

#11558 Tue Nov 06 2007 03:45 PM
John,
The station looks beauty. Excellent job!!
Continue to live your dreams!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved