Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11688 Sun Dec 15 2002 12:16 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I have a pump,its doublesided,with a counter on both sides.You turn a crank to zero the counters.The only plate i can find has the name Gilbarco/# R6862x. Any information would be great.Thanks shawn.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#11689 Sun Dec 15 2002 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Race Gas I tryed to id. your pump but no luck. Can you post a picture for us? You might want to check out Jack Sim's new GAS PUMPS book,you most likely will find a picture of it in there. Check out Amazon or Ron Scobie for the best deal on the book. Gas Pump Rob

#11690 Sun Dec 15 2002 09:52 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Thanks Gas Pump Rob, I really like that recommendation. Don't buy Jack Sim's book from Jack Sim, buy it for Ron Scobie or Amazon. I have the highest number of responses on this website answering gas pump questions for everyone and this is the thanks I get. I'll never answer another question on this website. I'll just write books.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#11691 Sun Dec 15 2002 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry Jack. I never said don't buy it from you. Some of us don't know that we can buy your book directly from you. It seems to me that you would be happy to heir that your book is being promoted by someone you do not know. After all it would be " your book " that is selling no matter where it comes from. My copy just happened to come from Amazon . Is there anything wrong with that?? sorry to have upset you . Gas Pump Rob

#11692 Sun Dec 15 2002 11:33 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Geeze the guy recommended your book for you, ie a sale will occur. He also told the truth it can be bought cheaper through other vendors then directly from you. That was an exceptionally rude responseand a great way to make an impression on a new person to the hobby.

#11693 Sun Dec 15 2002 11:57 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I said I will not respond to anymore questions and that is true, but I will add to this. I have spent a great deal of my time going through files looking for answers to almost 400 questions over the last 4 years and never asked anything for it. I spent a year of my life putting a book together and what do I get, "you can save $5.00 by buying the book from Amazon." How many questions has Amazon answered, and does $5.00 really mean that much to you that you even have to mention it? Do you post that you can save $5.00 by buying faces from someone who never even reads these questions? Just about every week someone post that parts can be purchase from different vendors that again don't even read this, but have any of you ever just one, mentioned that you can purchase my book by going to my website? No! You didn't say not to buy it, but you also didn't say to buy it. If the truth is rude, than I'm rude.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#11694 Mon Dec 16 2002 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, We are all here to help each other! Wether it be technical advice or info. on how to save a buck. Personally I hope you don't answer another question on this site because every answer you give there is a commercial attached!! The book wasn't all that anyway!!!

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
#11695 Mon Dec 16 2002 05:42 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Gas pump Rob,thanks for trying to i.d my pump.I really apreciate the effort.Jack Sim ,i would think that a person of your knowledge,would be happy to share the wealth.Don't worry i wont be asking you any questions or buying your book! Archimedes,i agree with you,what a way to turn away a customer.Again,thank you all for the help(Not you Jack).

#11696 Mon Dec 16 2002 06:53 PM
Online Cool
It has been the policy of Oldgas.com that responders may plug their product or service when answering a question on Shop Talk. If there were no buying and selling we would not be able to add to our collections, restore our pumps or any of the other things nearly all of us do. A major part of the mission of Oldgas.com is to bring people together to buy, sell and exchange information.

I do think that Jack overreacted to a recommendation by Gas Pump Rob to buy his book from other sources. This is a dog-eat-dog world where price often rules over services provided and relationships. I hope that Jack reconsiders and returns to share his expertise here. The hobby is better off for the advancement of knowledge he has contributed through his books and answers.

There are several vendors who advertise on Oldgas.com to make our services possible. Amazon.com sales from links on this site are a very necessary part of our overhead expense funding. Other vendors of products and services share their experience on Shop Talk. All these and more are part of a network that enables this site to keep going. Doing business within this network is good for everyone involved.

Getting back to race gas' Gilbarco. Remember that? I'll post a picture of it to get an ID if you'll send me the picture.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#11697 Mon Dec 16 2002 07:01 PM
D
D
Jack, thanks for the book, its a great piece of literature, and everyone in the hobby appreciates all the hard work you put into it, and the contribution you've made to the hobby with your book, and throught this forum. But get off your high horse man, no one is trying to dis you, or begrudge you a sale. The man was just trying to do his part and help a fellow collector, and like they said, another one of your books sold no matter who made the sale. If you wanted everyone in the world to buy their copy from you, you should have bought the first printing.

#11698 Mon Dec 16 2002 08:10 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Overreacted is an understatement. Jack, you may have the highest number of post but they are mostly saying "buy my book" LOL.

Fact is, the book is available from many sources ( a deal you had to sign off on ) and mostly at a cheaper price. You have said you can't sell it cheaper. That's ok but don't fault a guy for trying to save a buck or help someone save one. Either way, you get to make a buck off the sale, direct or a distributer. For what seems like an educated man you sure do whine.

#11699 Mon Dec 16 2002 08:35 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
I'm sorry but this seems to have gotten way out of hand. Jack..your contribution to this site is awesome..Your responses to posts are certainly appreciated by all. I know that I have learned much from your research and knowledge. Your contribution to our hobby with your invaluable knowledge and your book are most appreciated by the majority of the members of this site.. most of whom I would guess have bought your book thru one source or another. Please know that I do not think anyone was trying to dis you.. we do not know how the sales are handled.. Retail is very competitive..I know, I was a retailer for over 20 years.. I cannot blame anyone for going for the best price..People who buy a product do not think about how much the creator will receive..Human nature dictates that they will go for the best price.. I hope that you will reconsider and stay on this site. I value your input.. and I am sure that I am not alone in my feelings. Please try to look at this unemotionally..

------------------
Frank

Frank
#11700 Mon Dec 16 2002 09:57 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey , I got one , lets all go over to Pogos website and disc him , well maybe we better not , he looks pretty big next to that old truck ,

#11701 Mon Dec 16 2002 09:58 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey , I got one , lets all go over to Pogos website and disc him , well maybe we better not , he looks pretty big next to that old truck ,

#11702 Mon Dec 16 2002 10:08 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
jack i agree with frank and could not have said it better.i just hope you take some time to think it over.i'm speaking very selfishly,all of us new comers rely so much on the experiance you and all the regular contributors bring to this forum,along with our moderator. it would be a true loss if this were deminished in any way. jerry

[This message has been edited by pumpman2 (edited 12-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by pumpman2 (edited 12-18-2002).]

JERRY
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved