Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12262 Wed Aug 27 2003 08:31 PM
5 quart Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Besides oil and gas stuff Im collecting old speed parts 1950s-60s- i was in speed business for 37 years and drag racer in 50s-60s Any old speed parts fro sale?? PS couple of my old drag cars can be seen in my profile- thanks don

------------------

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#12263 Thu Aug 28 2003 10:08 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
hey don... does street racing count... HA (NERVOUS LAUGH)... we did some pretty insane stuff on the streets back in the 60's.. i raced at westhampton and national speedway out on long island... also... wingdale new york... i drove a B stock 65 chevelle and ran out of westchester automotive in mt. vernon... also had a few 55 chevys ... 327's with alot of work.... i think i might have seen you in your gasser rail....

#12264 Thu Aug 28 2003 10:09 AM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Don,
fwiw, hit JalopyJournal.com. Check the HAMB classifieds---a bunch of traditional hot-rodders over there.

mike

#12265 Thu Aug 28 2003 09:12 PM
T
T
5 quart, cool stuff! i dig the rail!
did ya ever get sideways in it?
i like the 56 hardtop with the conti too!
what all do you have left for old speed parts?

yeah street racin! we used to bring a floor jack & we'd change into some stickies at the carwash. 79-early 80s. SS chevelles, roadrunners, lots of muscle then. you could buy a nice NICE 10 year old 70 SS454 chevelle for under 3000.00, could always get 440-383 roadrunners or GTXs for under 2k. i remember a real clean 64 sport fury with a nasty 440 & hemi 4 speed for $1200.00 for sale for a long time! it was fast too!

#12266 Thu Aug 28 2003 10:04 PM
Online Cool
I'm an old drag racer myself. I had the most fun with my '64 Fairlane 289 high performance. Raced it in the late 60s and early 70s on tracks around the St. Louis area. It was a hot car when it was stock, but I really got it going with a very wild Crane cam and a Cobra Paxton supercharger. I could run in F.1 G Stock AHRA. It would idle with a vicious lope and a blower growl. It revved up quick with a screaming whine. I took out the high beam headlights and ducted the blower through the headlight opening. A unique sound. When I put on a hood from a factory Thunderbolt, a lot of people assumed I had a 427. It was great fun to beat guys and then have them find out it was really a 289.

Thanks Don, for reminding me of those good old days. At a drag strip in Granite City, Illinois, there was a Sunoco station across the road. I used to drive across the road in between races with my headers open and buy $1 of Sunoco 260 and race the rest of the night.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#12267 Thu Aug 28 2003 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I never did any drag racin, but I did some dirt track racin in '87 and '88 in the Super-Six division. Rules were about the same as the U.M.P. Super Late Models (similar to todays Have-A-Tampa cars)except we ran straight sixes! I had a 300 Ford,steel crank,351W flat tops,Crane cam,mild porting,big stainless steel Chevy valves, 5 angle valve job,Offy intake,etc. Madden chassis (similar to an old style Rayburn),Carrera coil overs,quick change rear, 11 inch Hoosiers on 14" wide wheels, etc. There were 27 cars in my division. They started 12 in the feature. That made for some very "competitive" heat races. We were severely under funded, but had respectable results. Won a few races, spent all the money I could come up with, had blast! The car weighed 2500# + , ran on a 1/4 mile low banked dirt (not clay) track. Qualified in the low to mid 14 second range. Did I say I had fun? Did I say it was EXPENSIVE? Lots of work too. I figured it took 40+ man hours of maintenance per night of racing if nothing got broken. We used Union 76 racing gas. Pretty sure it was 104 octane. Cost $2.79.9 at the station. Also used unbranded (Cam 2, but they didn't like to tell you what it was) racing gas from the Shell station. I think the Cam 2 was a little cheaper. Always had the option of buying Turbo Blue 104 octane at the track for $3.29
Just about had a deal lined up to go late model racing. Big sponsor, associate sponsor, state of the art chassis (Swartz)with low laps, good engine (700HP Chev.), etc. The guy with the big sponsorship didn't come through with the $. The whole deal fell apart then.
Whenever my wife complains about me spending too much on globes I just tell her I'll sell all of them and get another stock car. That really gets her riled up!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#12268 Thu Aug 28 2003 11:56 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
GET A RACE CAR!!!!! SELL THEM OLD CRUSTY GLOBES.... FRANK THE...........T-BONE!!

#12269 Fri Aug 29 2003 12:19 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE AROUND TONIGHT????????????????????????? FRANKIE,,,, THE BONE MAN!!!!!!

#12270 Sat Aug 30 2003 02:03 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Jim..... Do you have any idea what happened to your Fairlane and where it is now ??

#12271 Sat Aug 30 2003 08:08 AM
Online Cool
Yes, Bob, I know where it is and what happened to it. I sold The Fairlane in 1972 to a friend of my younger sister. He took the engine, trans and rear end out and put them in a late 60s Cougar. He wrecked that and put all the stuff in a Mustang of the same vintage. He totalled that too. He got into drugs, moved out of town and I lost contact with him. Many years later he resurfaced in Colorado. He had a Shelby GT-500 and blew that engine. He had saved the Fairlane's engine/trans in his dad's garage here and took them out to Denver and installed them in the Shelby. He drove that for years and sold it when he needed money. I took pride in that the engine I built lasted so long with such a tough life and replaced a big block in a high performace car.

The second part is the car itself. He sold the body with no mechanicals to a Chevy guy with something to prove. He cut out the firewall and set it up for a Chevy engine set back into the passenger compartment. He cut out the front suspension and put in a straight front axle. The car was never finished or raced to my knowledge. It sat outside in a field for many years. A friend called when he saw it in a swap meet a couple of years ago for sale. I took a look and was broken hearted. It was a mess and just too far gone to bring back to where I would be happy with it. If it wasn't so chopped up it would be in my garage now. It's still for sale. My friends think I should resurrect it from the dead.

For those of you who don't remember the old Fairlane Thunderbolts, here is a recent picture of a T-bolt clone. Mine looked just like this.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#12272 Sun Aug 31 2003 02:10 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Thanks for the story Jim.... sad as it was at least you will have the best of memories about the car. Every car has a story..... I have a friend who bought a new 68 GTX... and years after he sold it he found it again... was tempted, but the multiple owners had really done a number on it and it just wasn't the same car anymore, so he just walked away from the chance to buy it back.. and it still bothers him.
Just kind of wondering... doese anyone else out there have a car story like Jim's ??
bob

[This message has been edited by huskybob (edited 08-31-2003).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved