Next Thread
Print Thread
#123256 Fri Jan 13 2006 02:20 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Here is a 29" by 29" Phillips 66 ethyl shield shaped ,double sided, PORCELAIN sign (or so it says)

ebay #7209547696
Heres the descrip:
This auction is for a Unique & RARE!!-

Double sided "Phillips 66 Ethyl" PORCELAIN SIGN!!

"Trademark Reg. US Patent Off., Brand of Anti-Knock compound., Incorporated". RARE SIZE!!

Very Hard to Find-Excellent condition!!- Double sided Ethyl

Quality of sign is excellent, and sign is hard to find!!

This remake of the 1930's original sign was made a few years ago, only less than 50 were made, and sold out quickly. If you were not lucky enough to have gotten one then, now is your opportunity!!

The original one sells for into the thousands of dollars, and this is an exact remake of that orignal sign!!. This sign will only continue to appreciate in value over the years!!

Colors are Black, Yellow on Orange. This sign is 29 1/4" Tall and 29"wide.

Gas, oil, and sign collectors--This would be a huge asset to add to your collection!!!

email with any questions.

Start your year out right & Good luck bidding on this..............

Beautiful Phillips 66 Ethyl very solid, and heavy Porcelain sign.

Would have fooled me easily out in the wild!
Mark

Is this one bettin had seen being remade in another post a while back being sold as original?

#123257 Fri Jan 13 2006 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a pic of the fake from the auction above:

Here is an original in a photo that I took in October 2005:

On the original, note how much more pronounced the starburst rays are when the cross the black 6s.

Definitely something good to know. As I've said before, I think people that make unmarked repros should be drug out into the street and shot.

Wes

[This message has been edited by thermactor (edited 01-13-2006).]

#123258 Fri Jan 13 2006 03:05 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Thanks Wes. And in defense of the seller, it is sold as a repo in the description.

The words under the Ethyl appear to be either faded or blacked out somewhat.

But gee whiz, what a repo! Either made overseas or someone took some bucks to make it here if it truly is porcelain.

#123259 Fri Jan 13 2006 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks to me that the black invaded the yellow more than anticipated during firing. This is probably easily corrected -- it is entirely possible that there are some of them out there that were made better. That would make it nearly impossible, unless the repro has no sign company logo/date.

I'm glad the seller is honest. I'm just upset that the maker was not (should have put "REPRODUCTION" or similar on the sign somewhere.

Wes

thermactor #501444 Sun Dec 29 2013 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Is this one that is about to end in about 30ish min, one of the repops or a original?
Looks like a repop to me but ????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221342240091

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Sun Dec 29 2013 12:25 PM. Reason: add info

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
Is this one that is about to end in about 30ish min, one of the repops or a original?
Looks like a repop to me but ????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221342240091

This post you are responding to is a couple weeks shy of 8 years old!!! LOL!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I know this was a old post but it came up when I was doing a search and decided to use it as a comparison for the one that just sold for $800++.
When a post is as informative as this, I think it's great to revive it!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks like the one that sold on eBay is original.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Yes, it does.
The 2nd 6 angle really throws me off but that's the original setting of it and the burst lines and writing seems to match up.
I need to get one of these soon!

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The ebay auction pic.

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Fri Jan 03 2014 12:55 AM. Reason: add info

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
The one that I sold on ebay was in fact an original (221342240091), and whoever bought it got themselves a bargain!

It was listed as original and was exactly that - as described.

I guarantee all of my items to be as described or your money back! In fact I have a few great porcelain signs for sale now on ebay - also originals (That's all I sell - No reproductions or fantasy items ever!)

I buy AND SELL as many great original signs as possible! Sometimes it means a profit and sometimes a loss. Mostly I sell buy it now or best offer. I will entertain all offers so don't hesitate if you see something you like!

When I put a item on auction, the starting bid is MY COST. If it gets no bids, most times the price goes back up to a buy it now or best offer. It goes up because the starting bid is the absolute minimum that I am willing to take for the item.

In the case of the 66 sign, I decided a .99 no reserve auction would be fun (as I sometimes like to do). The 66 sign underperformed and went to the high bidder at $835. I say the buyer got a bargain because considering both cash and trades, I had $1500 into this sign. Just saying because I want my potential customers to know that I MOVE PRODUCT and there ARE deals to be had!

I do not "line my pockets" when I sell stuff.

I re-invest 100% of the money to buy more great stuff and pay for the cost of the hunt! I do not go to shows. I do not buy stuff to re-sell on proxibid, barret jackson, matthews, oldgas, etc. The items I sell are from local auctions, collections, barns, garages, fields, etc. The best part about the items I sell is that you have not seen them 10 times before at shows or online auctions! This sets me apart from the other "sign sellers" mentioned on this site!

Save me to your favorite sellers list and don't miss a beat! As you probably know, the best stuff moves the fastest!

2013 was a great year that had a ton of original signs passing through. Don't miss out of the deals of 2014!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/gr8signfinds/m.html

Bid / Offer through oldgas!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
gr8_signfinds

(That's all I sell - No reproductions or fantasy items ever!)

Aren't you the one that bought a T-53 Pegasus from Mike in Rockwall,Tx? You then sold it on Ebay to Brent in Fort Worth?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Yes it was me that got burned on that sign before I knew enough about counterfeit items and educating myself on every piece of Mobil memorabilia. That one mistake was a lesson to many and does not in any way represent what I am here for.

My post on the 66 sign was referring to 2013 not 2011 but thanks for pointing this out AGAIN (beating a dead horse).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dead horse or not...I hope as soon as you realized your mistake that Brent received a refund!

At least, I see the point the above poster is trying to make. If this is a statement you use to describe yourself then it's not a historically correct statement, "That's all I sell - No reproductions or fantasy items ever!".

Very important a seller takes the time to know what they are selling. Especially, if they are making a business out of it. Whether knowingly or not, reproduction items do tarnish ones reputation.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage

Very important a seller takes the time to know what they are selling. Especially, if they are making a business out of it. Whether knowingly or not, reproduction items do tarnish ones reputation.

And that reputation will follow you in todays electronic world! Takes a long time to erase a bad move!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved