Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123563 Sat Jan 08 2005 12:28 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I think I was recently fooled on a repro. sinclair sign. It has a dinosaur with a sign hanging from his mouth. It has classic aging signs but the back has this slightly rough greyish look to it and some marks like it rested on something during firing. It really is bothering me since I'm seeing similar signs on ebay. It's got weight but I'm confused at this point so if anyone has any knowledge in this matter, I'm all ears.

........Dave
#123564 Sat Jan 08 2005 01:34 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Got a photo you can email or the item # from the auction if the photo is still up so we can post it here?

C Cragg
#123565 Sat Jan 08 2005 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If this is the sign, it's a repro. I don't know if any originals like this.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#123566 Sun Jan 09 2005 07:05 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
was it an EBAY purchase, and ifso, who was the seller? i would like to watch out for whoever it is.
mike

#123567 Sun Jan 09 2005 12:09 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Most older original porcelain single sided signs ive seen have a rougher back with places showing where it rested on a rack while being fired, or pock marks, etc. Most newer signs are too nice on the back side. Some are perfectly smooth.Just my observations and not always a dead giveaway, but it is the first thing to look for in my opinion.......Les

#123568 Sun Jan 09 2005 12:56 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
In the firing process signs can be hung by grommet holes or laid on racks.

#123569 Sun Jan 09 2005 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The way LordParafin describes his sign, it sounds like one of the "Andy Rooney" signs. The one's I've seen have the dark gray back.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#123570 Mon Jan 10 2005 11:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The sign pictured above is the sign I'm speaking of However there are the rack marks from firing and a very minimal amount of light rust. The greyish coating isn't consistant in color. It almost looks like each firing effected the color by what the sign was resting on. A tiny chip here and there on the edge with light rust and the brass eyelets are a dark tarnish color. This was not a Ebay purchase. I picked up a a local antique mall for $90. This is downright frustrating. I by no means have unlimited resources so every dollar counts and to now have a possible repro. just sets your hair on fire! I feel all repro.'s should be marked in some small way. Even the cans which is my first choice in collecting are now coming under fire. The makers are sure to advertise "fake", but what of the buyers of these things down the road when they resell them? This just stinks!! It's hard enough to find the good stuff and now you have to sort through the **** as well. By now I think I'm venting so I'll sign off for now and thank everyone for their input on the matter.

........Dave
#123571 Mon Jan 10 2005 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LORDPARAFFIN, IF YOU FEEL SO "RAPED" OF YOUR CASH ON THIS PURCHASE, IS THERE ANY WAY YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK AND ARGUE THE PRICE? WAS THIS SOLD TO YOU AS AN ORIGINAL? OR ARE YOU JUST SO NEW TO THE HOBBY YOU COULDN'T SEE IT COMING?
I HAVE SEEN MANY DEALERS TAKING A WEATHERED REPRO PORC SIGN AND PUTTING QUITE A HIGH PRICE ON IT. I LAUGH AND WALK AWAY KNOWING WHAT I KNOW.
YOUR $90 PURCHASE IF IN NEW CONDITION HAS A RETAIL OF $25 (APPROX). IF PURPOSELY CHIPPED RUSTED AND SCRATCHED.....$5 TOPS FOR INSTANT FAKE MOCK FAUX AGING! I'M TELLING YOU, IF THE PLACE WAS LOCAL....TAKE IT BACK, ASK THE SELLER TO MAKE GOOD ON IT BASED ON WHAT WE'VE TOLD YOU HERE. IF THERE REALLY WAS AN ORIGINAL SIGN MADE WITH THIS ARTWORK ON IT - IT WOULD BE WORTH CONSIDERABLY MORE THAN $90.
LET US KNOW WHAT GOES DOWN. EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET A REFUND, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST "VENT" YOUR ANGER TO THE DEALER.
IF "I" DIDN'T GET MY REFUND, I'D BE SURE TO
PUT HIS SHOP "DOWN" IN THE ANTIQUE COMMUNITY AS A PLACE WHERE THE OWNER DOESN'T CARE ABOUT HIS CUSTOMERS! TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS, MY FRIEND!
JMHO!

DOC @ TAG/WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#123572 Mon Jan 10 2005 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The FAKE cans I made ALL have a PHOTO paper wrap, and are marked at the seam COPIED 2002 or 2003. The other cans sold on ebay as FABULOS FAKES,have a thin vinyl wrap on an old can. IF the graphics are good and the ends look old, check with your finger nail, for an edge where the lable stops by the solder seam.
Dick

#123573 Mon Jan 10 2005 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's not a possible repro, it's definitely a fantasy piece. I collect Sinclair and I've never seen an original sign like that. IF a sign like that could be documented as an original it would be worth 20 or 30 times what you paid. Maybe more.
It sounds like your sign might have been artificially aged.
I would return it to the store and demand a refund.
There's no reasonable excuse for reproductions to not be permanantly marked as such.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#123574 Tue Jan 11 2005 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just wanted to point out that this post with LordParafin, is a great example of why this "Known Reproductions" forum does not get many posts. As I've discussed with Lastgas many times, NO ONE WANTS TO KNOW IF THE PIECE THEY OWN IS A REPRODUCTION ! They only want to know if the piece they are about to buy is a reproduction. Once they own it, they will rationalize in a thousand different ways why theirs is somehow an "elusive, one of a kind, rarer than hens teeth" original. Even though several guys who have been in this hobby for 25 or more years are telling them something different. I have a "Shell Aviation" sign that I know is fake, but my heart did skip a beat, when someone saw it, and said they thought it was old. Ha, I really wanted to believe him. Then I came back to reality.
No offense meant to LordParafin, most of us have this disease.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#123575 Tue Jan 11 2005 11:39 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Don, I think the lack of posts IS a good thing for this forum. Maybe more people are being educated and not being "taken". I have to disagree with "NO ONE WANTS TO KNOW" that they have a repo piece. I would. Then the item would come down from display and I'd try to sell it as a repo piece. Lose money? Sure, but that's why I print out everything that shows up on this forum.

#123576 Wed Jan 12 2005 11:17 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Gentlemen, I stand in awe of your knowledge and your cander. I can happily admit I've been fooled (though I think that I will follow up on the advise about checked back with the thw dealer). I look at this as a learning lesson and come out all the wiser for it. I started this hobby about 4 years ago and I have learned much through simple caution and asking lots of questions. Oldgas.com has been a wonderful tool for I know noone in my area to learn from or confer with. To know I have a fake takes the question out of my mind and I can deal with that. I nice to know there are still honest good people out there and that "Fabulous Fake" can information will become part of my "lessons to be lerned" folder......I must admit they are beautiful works of art! I always get that skip in my heart when it first pops up on the screen when I look into them. I look forward to more useful debates in the future.
Humbly speaking, David (Lordparaffin) Bartlett

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved