Next Thread
Print Thread
#12450 Tue May 22 2001 05:43 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks to Morgan, Seth, and Ron for previous replys about parts. This Tokheim 870 has a decorative ledge at the "waistline" and the skins taper from about 14.5" from underneath the top plate to about 16.5" at the cast base. I've only seen straight silouetts (sp?) in books and literature. All other details and decorations appear to be the same. Does anybody know or can speculate whether the ledge and taper features were an option, an early or late model in the series, or at all unique/rare?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have color pictures of the 870 and the 870A with a waist line and without. These pictures are both from original literature and also a picture of a pump from a collection. I doubt they were an option, and since both the 870 & the 870-A have the waist, I also doubt they are an early or late version. It appears they just made them two ways. As far as rare, I would say that all 870s are somewhat rare.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian, my literaure shows the 870 as the straight sided pump and 870-A with the "sectional" housing. Here's a couple of quotes from the sales brochure.
"The New Model Tokheim 870 Positive Displacement Type Meter Pump is built primarily for those who seek a pump lower in price, yet endowed with the Dependability and Accuracy which is characteristic of Tokheim Pumps." Taken from Bulletin 275

"Other than in style of housing, the Tokheim 870-A is identical to the Tokheim 870 Positive Displacement Meter Pump- the detailed description of which is given in our Bulletin No. 275." This is taken from Bulletion 276.

Hope that helps... The bezels should be back in stock this week... Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Scobie (edited 05-22-2001).]

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Excellent replies, Jack/Ron, and I'll follow with emails requesting copies of literature for sale or otherwise. I remain perplexed about the taper of the skins which measure about 14" wide at the very top to about 16" wide at the very bottom. It would make a difference in aquiring reproduction skins. Can anyone verify this fact/feature from either the literature or from physical experience?

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Brian, you might call Andy at Gas Pump Heaven or Seth at Vics and check the top and bottom measurements with them. Could be you could take the solid panel repo skins they sell and cut them to fit with your waistline style pump. Might have to add a couple of latches depending on where that casting falls.

Might also take original panels (if you have them) to a sheetmetal shop and ask them to duplicate them. I've had that done on a couple of 870's and they turned out nicely. They used a plasma cutter to make the face and other cut outs. I reattached the original latches.

Hope you will post a picture of this when you get it completed!! Thanks and good luck.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited 05-22-2001).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved