Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12643 Wed Feb 08 2006 09:17 PM
C
OP Offline
C
When I hopefully get close to finishing my restoration I want to put a Red Crown globe on top. Authentic ones go for $200-300, which is way more than I want to spend. I see from several of the vendors that they pretty much all sell globes but I have yet to see one that sells the crowns. Am I missing something? Does anyone make them?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Not trying to beat anyone else to the punch here, but I've got them in stock and ready to ship @ $150/ea. 405.282.5586 to order.

Seth/Vic's '66'

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Just reread your initial post...mine are plain milk-glass crowns, so in essence, white crowns. Theoretically, they can be painted red or gold or whatever grade you gas you desire, though I've never done it.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Not trying to beat you up Seth but the paint doesnt stick to the white crowns,after awhile it flakes off because the area is not etched for paint.Invest your money and buy a faided crown and repaint it.You can find one in the 200 range,sometimes less if yor patient.

------------------

+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Big Cheese and his wife dawn do them all the time , they etch them first and then apply the color very nice work very good price ,for an exact color copy of an original

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check:

Chris is correct, Dawn does an outstanding job on these.

Or you can do it yourself with a little bit of preparation. Clean the body with windex and then alcohol. Mask off the parts that stay 'glass' with high-quailty automotive masking tape. Make sure to work the tape down into all the little corners. Using an Exacto knife or razor blade to cut the tape into the creases will speed up this process. Cover everything that won't get painted.

Get yourself some glass etching cream from any good arts-n-crafts store. Apply and follow the directions for duration and clean-up. Or just lightly 'dust' the exposed areas with a sand blaster. You just want a nice even dullness here - don't blast the thing to bits. LOL

Once the glass is etched, place the globe on a lighted base (so you can see how much paint you are applying) and use a 'spray-bomb' or airbrush to apply the color you desire.

Again, just dust the paint on the entire surface to keep everything even. Keep dusting until you get even, complete coverage. You want to avoid streaks and thick spots. The light shining thru will help greatly with this step.

Unmask and you're done.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 02-09-2006).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PAINT DOES TO STICK!!!!

I painted mine about 4 years ago and it is still CHERRY!!!!

1st
I did nothing but clean it real well with laquor thinner before applying the masking tape.

2nd
It took me about 2 hours to put the blue masking tape on, and you need to get it all masked out and then really push the tape down on the edges before painting.

3rd
I then put it on a large cardboard box with a shop light sticking up in the middle inside of the globe, and lit the globe up.

4th
Using a rustoluem Can spray paint, sunrise red, I painted it all the way around in one even sweep - keeping it nice and even all the way around. The light lets you see how it will look lit up and make sure you do not miss any spots or get differnet shades in spots.

EASY and cheapper then sending it off here and there. IF this was a REAL antique globe I would send it off - but for a repo - heck no...

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I repainted a washed out raised letter Red Crown. It took six hours to mask it!!!! Makes what Cheese charges look like a bargain.

Looks to me like buying a repop and having it painted is going to cost just as much as an original with fair paint. Why not just buy an original?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bob your thinking with your head and wallet!By the time you buy a crown,have it shipped and pay someone else to paint it or even paint it yourself(and take the chance of it looking like **** )your better off buying an original one.Not everyone has the skills to mask off a crown,its not a ride in the park.The paint MIGHT stick if its inside and dont get very much heat from the lightbulb but outside,this globe wont last no time.Paint dont stick to smooth surfaces,might at first but give it time.

------------------

R
R
THERE IS A REPO ON A AUCTIO ON SAT FEB 18TH AT BALDWIN WIS, IT IS LIKE NEW. EMAIL ME FOR DETAILS

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved