Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#127674 Tue Jan 09 2007 05:28 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Being new to this board, maybe this thread has run before. Anyways, after reading all the posts about values put on globes & petro stuff, I began to think about how I got started into collecting & what is priceless to me. About 35 years ago a neighbor farmer was about to junk a 5 gal Fry which was very complete. At that time I had never seen a visible pump. It fascinated me. He told me I could have it for the taking. That was my very first pump. I restored it completely. Then 20 years later when he was selling the farm and cleaning out some sheds, he gave me a call on New Years day & asked if I wanted something else to go with the pump. I went to his place & he had the original globe that came with it. The globe was put in an old "summer kitchen" building and junk got piled on top of it. It turned out to have one perfect lens & one cracked one. The globe was found under a pile of steel plow shares! Anyways, the globe was and still is a very unusual one. It has no brand name, but says "The New Premium Gasoline at Price of Motor". Making a long story short, this combination which adorns the entryway foyer of our house is priceless to our family. I've restored many pumps over the years but this one & it's globe is very special to us!

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#127675 Tue Jan 09 2007 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I remember sitting in the back seat of my family's '59 Ford station wagon on a rainy night and looking up at a Conoco globe atop the pump. I was probably 4 years old. In 1982 a customer gave me that very globe.

Over the next 10 or 12 years I picked up 2 or 3 more globes, but I didn't consider myself a collector. The thing that really turned me into a collector was a 25 cent quart of Sinclair Extra Duty oil my wife picked up at a garage sale. Karen bought that can so I could use the oil but she didn't complain when I put it on a shelf in the house and said it was cool and proclaimed that I was going to collect a few more cans to display with it.

After all these years I still have the Conoco globe, and its Conoco Ethyl counterpart that came from the same station. I also still have that Sinclair can that kick started my collecting obcession.
My kids enjoyed the hobby too. Jeff decided he was going to collect Sinclair while Darrel concentrated on Shell. Every weekend we would go to an auction, a flea market, or hit the antique shops in hopes of finding more petro treasures. I'd get home from work to find the new issue of Check The Oil magazine all dog eared because the boys had been reading it.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 01-09-2007).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#127676 Tue Jan 09 2007 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My dad and I were looking to decorate an apartment that we built and wanted to make it guy cool. We though of a 50's diner and found out about an auction that had some old signs. My dad and I went to the auction which was of the late bill voss collection. He was an avid collector here in CO. I saw a powerlube quart sell for 1000 and a minute man sign sell for $1500. My dad and I bought a few signs then I bought a pump to restore for the living room. Six months and 15,000 miles later I had 50 pumps. The rest as my wife says, is my hobby turned obsession!

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

Scott Wright
#127677 Tue Jan 09 2007 06:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will have to say that the main reason for my interest is the bond that has formed between my son and I. We both live for the "big" find even though it is much harder to even dream of than it was 15 years ago. We have enjoyed countless road trips down the gravel roads,probably any within a 100 mile radius have been gone down over the years. We both have some fantastic memories over the years.

#127678 Tue Jan 09 2007 07:10 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
always into hot rods and street racers.. my kids weren't... maybe thats a blessing... my natural progression was into the gas "stuff". although i always had a collection of something or other going on, i kinda' stuck to this stuff.. met alot of nice people and people that weren't so nice. just like in every other hobby. i stick mostly to the outboard oil stuff right now but that can change tomorrow....

#127679 Tue Jan 09 2007 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IT WAS FALL CARLISLE 1985, WHEN AFTER BUYING A BUNCH OF HUGE CHEAP COCA-COLA SIGNS (COLLECTING SINCE 1972) THAT WHEN I WENT INSIDE TO PICK-UP THESE HUGE SIGNS, I SPOTTED A 1930 TEXACO SIGN 42" D/S PORC (YOU KNOW THE ONE) AND IT WAS $85 AND IN GREAT SHAPE. I HAD $125 EXTRA SPENDING DOLLARS, SO YOU KNOW WHAT GOT ME STARTED! 21 YEARS LATER I HAVE GATHERED A RESPECTABLE COLLECTION OF MOSTLY SIGNS, CANS, PUMPS AND MAPS! MY FAVES IN THE HOBBY!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#127680 Tue Jan 09 2007 08:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
About ten plus years ago years ago I seen an old gas pump leaning against an old building. I stopped, inquired and left my name. Old timer called back saying it wasn't his, it was his hired hand who skipped town and owed him money and if he didn't settle up he would call me back. A year later I got a call,and went back to check it out. He wanted 100.00 and I countered with 75.00. I really upset him and we parted. At this point you have to understand that even though my family was in the gas business since the 20's, I only knew the price of a gallon of gas and absolutely nothing about old anything. I researched the pump, immediately called him back to apologize and said I would gladly give him the 100.00 and pick it up if he accepted.

I still have the early Wayne 60.

I even found a globe from my grandfathers station for sale on the internet by chance being sold by my second cousins, the price went up when I called...

Morel of the story = doesnt pay to be a tight has.
Happy hunting.

Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#127681 Tue Jan 09 2007 08:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is the stuff that is priceless. Can't beat good conversation and getting to really know people.
My beginnings were back when I collected small toy trucks and vehicles. My wife and I spent many a day searching in antiques and flea markets. I always enjoyed the search, being with my wife, and the potential for the big find. At some point I was interested in accessories to put on display with the trucks. Little things turned into direction and passion of quarts eventually. I do enjoy it all and have started a small collection of signs and now a globe. Recently my father and I after many a year of divided lives, have reconciled and we have a new found shared interest and that has been the icing on the cake.

........Dave
#127682 Tue Jan 09 2007 08:57 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Well, it all started for me when i was about 11. My step-dad was having a 30 foot by 30 foot room added to the back of the house as a gameroom for us. Immedietly after, he had to go and buy 2 old Mills slot machines. On the way we kept stopping and stopping at all the big antique malls and he loved the old coca-cola and soda advertising since he remembered it from when he was a kid. Then, came came the 3rd or so last aisle we hadnt been down, an entire aisle rented by 1 guy filled with gas and oil stuff and it was packed full of it(malls somewhere in the middle of VA and NJ) and that aisle was at least 100 feet long and it was like seeing Jessica Simpson naked in person. Ok, well it wasnt that nice of a looking aisle but thats what started it.

After going in all those antique malls, me and him would go to all of the antique malls within a 3 hour radius of our house every weekend. I enjoyed cause it was in a way an adventure. But then one day I showed him the world of ebay which was about 3 years ago. Sad to say, we havent been to a antique mall since...

Robert

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 01-09-2007).]

#127683 Tue Jan 09 2007 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good topic for discussion.... I dont know how, or when, exactly that I got the bug. I moved out to the country at the end of 1999. Just down the road from me is a tall Tok 39. Every day I drove by that pump thinking that it would be cool to get it and restore it. Why I picked an old gas pump, I'll never know. After talking with the keeper, she told me that there was one down at the old sawmill that her family owned. Well, one pump led to another, a Tok 39A, as the search for doors for the G&B 96 led to the discovery of a 36B. It was all downhill from there. A gas pump from our hay supplier, two 36Bs from a customer, (see "The thrill of the hunt") http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001230.html the Front Range Gas Bash, a COTM feature, http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001159.html a few oil cans from Wes Worsham, (where has he been lately?) maps, e-bay, a bunch of stuff from DB, e-bay, auctions, Scott Wright, a road trip to Iowa Gas...... AAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRGGGG!!!! DID I MENTION E-BAY?????

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#127684 Tue Jan 09 2007 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff,
Wes and Tara are on their honeymoon. I doubt that he's thinking about oil cans and gas pumps right now. At least I hope he's not!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#127685 Tue Jan 09 2007 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have enjoyed this post, so thought I would add my story. Started working summers, pumping gas and washing windows at a Flying A station down the street from my home in the mid 60's. Started collecting small toys and roadmaps in the late 50's, once I learned how to beg and cry until I got them. Lost interest in the 70's and early 80's. Picked up the hobby again when I started racing fulltime in the late 80's. Been collecting off and on ever sense.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#127686 Tue Jan 09 2007 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OMG!!!!!! I forgot that he said January!!!!! Wes.... My brother... I love ya' Congrats..... Hope you're havin' a blast!!!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#127687 Tue Jan 09 2007 11:47 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Twelve years ago(?), I bought an old Seven Up sign and a Pepsi thermometer at an auction in Bells, Texas for $50 apiece.

I was very green at the time. I'd scour the backroads looking for stuff...

One time I drove 3 hours (one-way)to a far corner of the state because an elderly lady in an antique shop told me she saw an old Coke sign still hanging on a closed down drugstore. Of course, there was nothing on the drugstore once I got there. BUT there was a porcelain Shamrock sign, still in the pole, right square in the middle of the town. That sign made the trip worth it...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#127688 Wed Jan 10 2007 07:02 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I started when I was about 11-12. My family had a place down at the beach in NC, and we would typically take rural highways to get down there. On the way were numerous old stations with old pumps, etc (all gone now). Also on the way was Wayne Story's place. For some reason the old pumps, etc really caught my eye. My dad wasn't into collecting at all, but we decided to stop at Wayne's place at my insistance on the way back up one time. I bought a 30's Texaco 42" sign from him as my first petro purchase ever and I was hooked. Being a kid, I usually had to save up my money for the occasional purchases, until I got my first job around 14-15. I got my first pump when I was around 14. I'm 25 now, still collect on a bit of a budget, but luckily its not quite as tight as it used to be! Met lots of great people in this hobby. I was probably one of the first people on ebay (stuff used to be crazy cheap on there), but there's no substitute for going to the shows or auctions.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved