Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#112097 Tue Jan 13 2009 08:30 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have seen some pretty creative ways around this. One guy stated in his auction that he does not accept PayPal and that bidders should not bid if they intend to pay electronically. He never mentions other forms of payment.

As for me, I simply ask a seller if they accept other forms of payment besides electronic. Nine out of 10 times they say yes.

Scot

Looking for nearly anything related to Signal Oil

Go Farther!
#112098 Tue Jan 13 2009 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Signal Oil Scot- has the right idea- Most interested buyers will email you in advance to see what you will take for payment- If it were not for pay pal we would loose most of our overseas buyers- they dont always win but they sure help along the final price- PS I have been on ebay over 10 years- over 7000 transactions- managed to survive through all the changes-every place you sell or buy has their rules- I dont see anyone going to an auction and not bidding because they have a 10 to 15 % buyers fee- I go to a show and pay for a space- thats how it is- At a show everyone trys to beat your price down- at least on ebay they bid it up-
After I take an item to 5 or 6 shows during the year and it doesnt sell -it goes on ebay- Most of the time it sells for more than i was asking all year-???
Just my 2 cents- don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#112099 Tue Jan 13 2009 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i agree with signal oil...if i see a item that i`m interested in and they only take paypal i have asked before i bid,,now in the last month i have picked up a bunch of items that way but now with everything changing on the 15th i`m really curious to see what we`ll happen,, i only pay with mo`s and this might be the end of ebay for me,,i have a paypal accout but will only use it for $25.00 and under... i know someone has filed a anti-trust suit downunder but i don`t know how that has turned out.... i`m so mad at ebay for doing this i can`t stand it!!!!!i guess i`ll get over it...alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
VEEDOL_AL1 #128014 Fri Jan 16 2009 09:46 PM
P
P
The whole thing reeks. I've got a 429 CobraJet that I'd like to sell there, but they insist on a fixed shipping price. I've always charged actual shipping cost and not a cent more. So do I now start overcharging by quoting the maximum possible price, or do I use an arbitrary number and risk eating the difference?

What if it were to sell locally? I suspect that I would still need to ship it, with tracking, just to ensure that PayPal wouldn't try to take my $$.

I've always gone above and beyond to ensure the item's safe arrival, but when you see it's going to cost you extra...

Peter Niessen #128024 Sat Jan 17 2009 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, so far all I've read is "what ifs", no one has had a real problem with ebay's/paypal's new rules because they haven't used ebay. Well I filed a complaint today because a low life seller has taken my money and never sent the item. I was nice and gave the guy no grief on why it was taking so long to send the oil can to me. When I did contact him, everytime he had a different story on why it hadn't been sent. Today I tell him I'm going to file a complaint with paypal, he writes back at 1 am his time to tell me that he now can't find the can and has sent me my money back via "snail mail" from Canada in the form of a M.O. I paid using paypal on 12/24 and he now says I "sent a check in the mail", BS. I had only until the 5th to open a dispute, he asked me to wait for the m.o. before thinking about filing a dispute. "Fat chance", the dispute was opened as soon as I got his email. This is why buyers need paypal, for every 5 great sellers there is a low life who is out to take what he can from a buyer. Before this new system, I was "robbed" by 3 other sellers who took the money and never sent anything. Under the old system I didn't get any money back because the sellers had taken all the monies from their paypal accounts and there was nothing left for me. Will see if this new buyer protection, is really that or the same oh,same oh.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #128032 Sat Jan 17 2009 05:41 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey Bob,,, I'm from Canada,,,, maybe I can help if I knew the guys name or where he lives,,,? If he is close maybe I can speed things up for you,,, let me know if I can help..

Wes.......
Wes Hague #128033 Sat Jan 17 2009 05:43 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Here is how Ron Bettin is getting around the PayPal money orders thing,,this has been copied and pasted from his description on a sign he currently has on Ebay.
"Please note Ebay no longer allows sellers to offer other forms of payment in their listings. However, Ebay states in an Ebay FAQ response, that “A seller can accept check and money order payment from a buyer if (and only if) the buyer requests it.” We support Ebay's position on this matter and agree to work with our customers accordingly."
If you read that closely it tells you a lot !

Wes.......
Wes Hague #128054 Sat Jan 17 2009 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, I appreciate the offer, thank you. The guy lives somewhere in Saskatchewan, that's all the info on where he lives I have before me right now. I will see what paypal has to say and let you folks know what happens. I'm glad that Ron seems to have found an option for those who want to pay by check or mo. For me I'm glad I didn't pay using a mo or a check, after almost a month the money would truly be gone. With paypal there is a record that the seller did get the money deposited in his account. Also I try always to get delivery confirmation on my buys, so a dishonest person can't say that it was delivered when something wasn't. In this case I have his emails with the different excuses on why I never received the can. Just glad it wasn't a rare or expensive can. LOL

Bob Richards #128061 Sat Jan 17 2009 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hey bob..txs for the info from ron!!!...i appreciate it.... i hear what your saying about paypal and i can understand it from a sellers view point,,i can see how it affects both the seller and buyer so i guess it`s up to each person... but i still hate them for forcing the issue on me...but if i see a item and i want it bad i have emailed the seller and requested paying with a mo dam near 99% of them have accepted so i guess i will keeping trying that and see what happens in the future,,,,,good luck with your situation!!! be patient... KEP LOOKING FOR THOSE HANDY OILERS!!! ALAN

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Bob Richards #128142 Sat Jan 17 2009 05:52 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey Bob,,,, just don't want you to judge all Canadians by one bad apple,,

Wes.......
Wes Hague #128148 Sat Jan 17 2009 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes it's true I'm petty,but even I'm not that petty. LOL
Since this auction, I have sent a few american dollars north to help out the natives. Just trying to do my little(and I mean little) bit to help keep the relationship between Canada and the 'States strong.

Bob Richards #128198 Sun Jan 18 2009 06:13 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well it doesn't seem to be very strong these past few years Bob and I'm not sure why? US and Canada were best partners back in the 50-60-70-80's, I don't know what happened... It's actually a whole large subject but not to be discussed on this forum...

Wes.......
Wes Hague #128780 Thu Jan 22 2009 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My saga continues. I received a MO from the seller yesterday, take it to my bank and they tell me that if I deposit it I will need to pay a $10 "collection fee". Seems the seller didn't buy his MO from a US Federal recognized bank. So not only has this guy "hosed" me on the can, I would need to pay out near half of my "refund" to my bank. I sent the MO back to the seller and notified paypal about this "bogus" MO. Oh, forgot to mention, that the guy wrote his address so badly, I couldn't makeout anything of his town. His name and "po box" was printed out perfectly, but the town was scribbled, so even the guy at the postoffice couldn't make it out. Luckly he has a post-office box and the "postal code" was readable. This guy has been on ebay for 7+ years, he knew from the beginning he was "screwing" me. If anyone wants his name and ebay "tag" contact me through my personal email address. This guy is trouble. (that's my unbaised opinion) LOL

Bob Richards #128804 Thu Jan 22 2009 05:42 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey Bob,,,,, I don't understand what that $10 fee is all about.. it seems to me that your bank is charging you a handling fee for cashing a good money order..I think thats something you need to take up with your bank. Lots of banks charge fees for cashing checks too many deposits/withdrawls in a month, service charges etc..
I have never heard of any bank draft or money order that is sold in Canada either at a post office or a bank that the buyer of that item doesn't pay for in full when he buys it. I think the problem lies with your banks service charges..

I sure hope you find the P - - - K thats screwing you around
Just my two cents worth...

Wes.......
Wes Hague #128812 Thu Jan 22 2009 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, here every check, cashiers check, bank draft and MO must go therough our Federal Reserve. Everyone of these must have a US Federal routing number printed on the item. This MO did not have that routing number. I checked with the local (Portland OR) Treasury office(the bank gave me the info), the "Fed" does charge every American Bank this collection fee to process a "Foreign" monitary check. The seller could have gone to a bank affiliated with Citibank, BofA,etc or could have gotten an "international" MO. He instead got a "non-international" MO. I had seen on ebay all the time sellers telling people that they would only accept international MOs, now I know why. LOL

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved