Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#128107 Sat Jan 17 2009 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WENT UP TO OXFORD, PA TO PICK SOMETHING UP AND SAW THIS BIG OLD ORIGINAL PORCELAIN SIGN STILL HANGING ACCROSS AND ALLEY. PRETTY COOL

NEXT THIS PORCELAIN GULF SIGN IS HANGIN ON THE BACK OF A STATION THAT JUST SHUT ITS DOORS NEAR MY HOUSE....."DONT BOTHER MOVING THE SIGN.....JUST CUT THE CORNER OUT"

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
THERMOMAN #128111 Sat Jan 17 2009 03:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've lived in this part of PA most of my life and have realized over the years that this region is rich in a lot history and stations are no different. It's been my desire to one day get around and start a photo history of what remains. Little did I know this would take more than 3 afternoons of driving around a 3 county area and I still have plenty to chase down. Last weekend was a snow storm and with nothing to do, the wife and I set out to kill some time so there are some snowy pics. It made picture taking easier since I could stop in the middle of a highway and not worry much about traffic!! Many of the pics that will follow in the days to come are buildings that date to the early teens and served many purposes over the years but all have a lineage to gas at some point. Hope you enjoy.

Someday I will track down the owner of this place and try for the sign even with the rust and bullet holes.

This has been around a long time but not as a Quik Fill

........Dave
lordparaffin #128112 Sat Jan 17 2009 03:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One of several old mom and pop style store/station combos. The old pump bases are still present.

From a nearby village. Talked to the owners son and hope to visit with his mother someday for a little better history. He knows mom and dad ran a store in there at one point. I was amazed to see the paint on the wall.

........Dave
lordparaffin #128113 Sat Jan 17 2009 03:41 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

There's plenty more to come but It's Saturday night on Barret Jackson and suppers' on the plate! Time to eat and watch people with real money spend it.

........Dave
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up.
Send 'em in!!

Happy Trails!

Wes

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Last month's feature made it to 100 posts! I'm sorry I was a little delayed this month, but I wanted to let the old one settle out, and also wait for the upgrade to be completed.

Let's get started!

Out for a drive in TX, we ran across this excellent Cities Service cottage station. It's in amazing condition, and still has all three lenses intact (though one is cracked). Those lenses are 15" globe lenses in metal surface-mount holders. It's pretty cool that the brick was never painted over.

Cities Service stations like this one sometimes had a separate washing bay nearby (to the left in this case). This one was either removed, or never existed. I've got some more CS station photos I'll post later showing their unique washing bay.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We also spotted this Opaline sign in great shape on the side of a building:

A neat display nearby:

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
While Tara and I were in Louisiana, we spent a great day with Paddy McCauley (texaspelican). He showed us this old Conoco station in a small town near where he lives. It's one of the coolest (if not the absolute coolest) stations I've ever seen. The pictures speak for themselves...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks, Paddy, for showing us this wonderfully preserved masterpiece of deco/modern design!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This old general store begged us to stop for some photos. You can see that the awning was added later, and those cool square light poles once had bonnets or fluorescents on top.

Check out the base of the pole. Is that a little tire inflating pump/compressor inside? Neat!

That's all I've got for tonight, but let's keep 'em coming!

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is a threated lid to expose the electrical.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sorry i didnt realize you had to host a topic....im laid off and i have a lot of time on my hands....i started the FATW earlier tonight oooops

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
st.rod,
I see - for some reason it had looked to me like the end cap of a motor. Now that I look at it, I agree with you - some type of junction box.

thermoman,
Not a problem at all. I'm going to see if both threads can be merged together.

Thanks guys!
Wes

THERMOMAN #128195 Sun Jan 18 2009 05:53 AM
I am going to merge this topic into wes's topic, since he hosts this topic each and every month. I am going to lock it untill I have time later today to merge it. Thanks, Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Ryan Underthun #128222 Sun Jan 18 2009 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Ryan - looks like it worked!

Wes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved