Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Remember that we already currently have a forum right here called "Known Unmarked Reproductions"

It could really use some more participation. Tactful opinions with reasons why are welcomed there.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The problem I have actually encountered, is that not all of the images on this site will last forever. If I could go back, and look at an image several years old, I'd be in favor of it. But, unless this problem is solved, I'm afraid the "Known Reproduction" catagory is doomed.

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wasn't going to comment on this idea, on the surface it seems to have a lot of merit. But.... People, are you listening at all? More than one here has commented and I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of the members here have asked of themselves; WHO TAKES THE HIT IF A BOOK OR WEBSITE IS SUED, rightly or wrongly???? Some have talked about paid subscribers, will those subscribers/would those subscribers, also pay all or a portion of the legal fees and attorney fees? Even if one won, they would go broke from the court costs and attorney's billed hours. As the older membership here knows, I was in a long drawnout lawsuit that I won. In winning I lost my home, my friend and business partner, my business, my health and my retirement. Again, I WON in court, but lost everything in winning and paying the monitary fees in winning. The only real winner(s) was the attorney(s). Like my court case, any suit brought would be long and drawnout, more than likely, lasting years. Just my .02 worth.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
toydoc: I think that's a valid point. Having the ability to categorize and file the data in a manner in which is accessible would be a challenge. Plus, you need the ability to stay on top of repops currently being produced. I'm sure it's possible though.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Reproductions are nothing new. Just watch the Antique Roadshow and see how many pieces of furniture come there that are reproductions, and they tell the owners that the reproductions were made around 1900. I have a Antique Furniture magazine from the 1920s that is full of ads for reproduction pieces of furniture. I've seen antique shops selling pieces of Nortaki china for $100, and it just arrived from India last week. There used to be a 5000 sq. ft. warehouse here in St. Louis that sold only reproductions, you name it, they sold it. One day I was there to pick up some $5.00 signs and had the opportunity to look at some of the addresses on boxes that were being shipped out. Almost all of them were "XXXXXX Antique Shop." How can we trust individuals if we can't trust the antique shops?
I don't feel I have an obligation to tell everyone that there is a reproduction out there. I will offer an opinion, if asked, but I don't feel I have to broadcast it. My obligation is to myself to make sure I am as educated as I can be about the item, I seek to purchase, so I can be sure it is authentic.
How often have you seen someone on a auction website bid thousands of dollars for a globe that you know is a reproduction? What I want to do, if I could, is ask the bidder if he bothered to purchase the globe identificaiton book where values and reproductions are listed.
These people don't want to be educated, they want to come on this site and ask "How much is this worth.? I don't own any globes, I don't like globes because I have broken too many originals, but I do own the globe books. I also have over 100 antique ID etc. books on every subject from furniture to toys to pin-ups. These books have made me a lot of money.
None of us likes to see someone get taken because he purchased a reproduction, but when I bought a repro I only blamed myself for being stupid, I didn't feel that someone should have warned me.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Jan 20 2009 11:18 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Seth,
You are correct that you cannot be sued for libel or slander for your opinion. You could be sued on some theory of contractual interference, but I think its unlikely as long as you are careful.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
All of this discussion is good because it brings the topic to the surface and whether or not anything comes of it is another subject! Its good the thought of legalities has been brought up because its a valid thing for anyone that might actually pursue the venture. Those aspects would have to be checked on before pursuing it.
Nothing against the electronic media but there is nothing quite as handy as a reference guide in your hands to study over and its always there waiting!
Perhaps the original thought has been carried too far in that a publication wouldn't have to indulge in anything controversial, but rather catalog and identify known reproductions as they came on board! Over a period of time, this list would grow substantially and be readily available instead of lost to some previous generation.
In Jack Sims own words "but I do own the globe books. I also have over 100 antique ID etc. books on every subject from furniture to toys to pin-ups. These books have made me a lot of money.
None of us likes to see someone get taken because he purchased a reproduction, but when I bought a repro I only blamed myself for being stupid, I didn't feel that someone should have warned me."

I don't believe that any of us need a warning, only some literature that enables us to make a qualified judgement before we take action!
Thank you all for your participation on this thread because discussion on any topic usually brings the better ideas to the surface.
More comments or opinions are welcome and thanks for all the honest opinions that have surfaced so far!-------KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I don't think we're obligated to educate the world on reproductions, but I think it's great for those of us who belong to this website to keep each other informed. Some of us that's been around for a while see an item or pick it up and just know in your gut it isn't right but can't say 100% it's a repro. I think the Known repro catagorie is agood place to inform each other. Maybe if the title was changed to suspected and known reproductions more might participate. At least we were warned. just a suggestion;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Sounds like a great idea Ron,,,

Wes.......
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved