Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130226 Wed Feb 04 2009 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
well i would like to take the lenses off my skycheif globe,but when i turn the nut,the screw turns.no way to grab it.didnt know if it was a good idea to use wd 40(and get it on the back of the lens).any good solutions?was also thinking dremel in there,but that might be kinda risky also.what say ye? thanks mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Mick I took some knocker loose & dabbed it on the back of the nut with my finger then let it sit a day or two. If the screw is a little loose on the front push it out as much as you can. I then used some needle nose vise grips to hold the front. I then used some good gripping pliers on the inside & slowly worked it loose. When I did this I was VERY CAREFUL to NOT let the vise grip pliers come in contact with the lens. Plus be careful with the inside pliers to you don't want them to slip. Just take your time & go slow. You don't want a globe that you could sell to JJ LOL smile
Come on someone had to do it LOL laugh Sorry JJ wink

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use an eye dropper with Muriatic acid, it will eat the corrosion/rust. Neutralize with baking soda & water.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it is just the one screw on the body giving you trouble, then remove the opposite screw completely and wiggle the lens pulling it away from the stuck one. Your lens should come off easily, then allowing you to have better grip with the pliers. No chance this way of breaking the lens.

R
R
Wd 40 will not harm your lens if the paint is good. What kind of globe body are you working on? Glass body three piece? Glass frame with metal band? Texaco used both. The three piece glass body has two flat heads with fiber washer on each lens. If you can remove one lens work the nut off from the open side. Place the globe on a moving pad or padded bed spread. Carefully soak the threads with WD 40, hold the upper threads with a pair of long nose pliers gently and turn the nut counter clockwise until you can work the pliers closer to the lens. You can do this through the opening but it is not easy and you will need to protect the lens with clean towels when working. Good Luck.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved