Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130420 Thu Feb 05 2009 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You ask what the heck does Steve McQueen have to do with general petro talk? Well did you know that Steve also liked old gas pumps. Steve McQueen's old ranch is located in Santa Paula California not all that far from professor Bennett's home, or my home for that matter. Steve like old motorcycles, cars,and airplanes, and old gas pumps. He also owned a hanger at the Santa Paula airport.
I have always been one of his fans.
I need Dick's help with this part.. Dick tell the fellow old gassers how you came about to buy his old pumps after he passed away, and what he had as far as pumps.
Dick sold me an AO Smith aviation fuel pump years later that he told me came from Steve's hanger over at the airport. It has red porc. faces. The AO Smith may not be worth much to most because it is a little newer but it is special to me.

Any way just wanted to pass along the fact that Steve McQueen liked old pumps too!

Rob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve McQ's wife sold the ranch after Steve died & left several un-restored pumps. The new owner wanted them gone. We worked out a deal. I ended up with 3 of the 11 visibles, 2-5gal Mae West & a Correct Measure Pipe organ [missing the pipes]. The 2 BENNETT [132 or 150, I don't remember] pumps that were in the movie BOUNTY HUNTER I also sold.
Steve spent more time at the airport than at the ranch across the river, when not on a movie set.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When they had the Steve McQueen Estate auction, I attended thinking I'd get a good deal on his old pumps, motorcycles, and signs. Wrong. They held it at the Imperial Palace Hotel in Las Vegas, and hundreds, maybe thousands of bidders showed up. I did buy an old general store oak "candy counter". The kind that has the glass displays on one side, and cooresponding drawers full of the item on the back side. We have since incorporated that counter into our kitchen in the new house. It's our kitchen "Island". One of the coolest parts of this story, is that when we were loading up the counter, I noticed that on each drawer was a handle with a built in area for labels. Steve had labeled the drawers with what he was storing inside. Cycle headlites, Cycle chains etc. Quite funny! He was quite the guy.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"ON ANY SUNDAY" was a favorite of this guy.

As soon as he could BUY a MOTORCYCLE, he DID !!!!!!
Over time I have had 9. STREET & DIRT
I regret getting rid of the 1974 HONDA 125 TRIALS.cry

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The gaspump, and pinball machine in the Bounty Hunter,the Mustang fastback chase in Bullet, the classic dirtbikes in On Any Sunday,The Great Escape military bike scene, the list goes on ... all the stuff that I dig.
Don I would love to see a picture of that cabinet sometime.
Rob

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved