Next Thread
Print Thread
#131297 Thu Feb 12 2009 12:07 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Do any of you old gassers collect either of these badges? Here is my ? I recently bought a Sinclair badge from a online auction house.I have been discussing this with M. Maxwell and he told me that he thought the Dinosaur and letters Sinclair were set into the badge.When I received it they are like flush or screened on the badge.He is going to get back with me as they have one in their collection.I was just wondering if anybody else has ever heard of a repo being made? I can post pic later tonite.The badge is die-cut with a dino at top,the words Sinclair in red under the Dino and five point safety service written at bottom
thanks
jim

leonardoil
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
leonardoil #131372 Fri Feb 13 2009 12:34 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have attended every Iowa Gas and CTO gas show for the last 20 years. I have seen many of these badges, both for the hats and for whatever. They are very collectible, it's just that they are not talked about much. It is like there is a secret group going around buying them. There are many nitches in this hobby like this. For years I purchased literature, nobody knew about it, it was just my passion. You don't have to collect gas pumps, signs, globes to accumulate a great collection of one thing. Just look at 5 quart, he probably has the greatest collection of 5 quart cans, why, this is his passion. You don't have to put out big dollars either buying whatever, to have something you can be very proud of.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #131457 Fri Feb 13 2009 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jim
Hope I can help you decide if you got the real deal or not. I attached a couple pictures of a pair of badges from dads collection. Both of his show some wear but they give a good idea of what they look like and how they were made. It appears they were a copper/ brass colored metal with a chrome type plating over the front. I thought the Dino was set into the badge but it isn't, it is on the top of the face of the badge, sort of like paint shelving. The back side has a slot for a paper with the employeese name on it to slide in. I heard of one of these bringing some big $$$ a few years ago, not sure what the going rate is now for one. Sounds like yours is in better shape than these, condition will drive the price up.
Hope these pictures help, would like to see a picture of yours.
Eat any BBQ lately?

Front sides

Front/ back side, you can see the compartment on the back where the name tape slid in

Another shot of the back

I know that some companies reproduced German WWII military badges. It is not beyond reason that other badges may be repoed also but I have not heard of these ever being repopped.

Wes

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Jack Sim #131461 Sat Feb 14 2009 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I have attended every Iowa Gas and CTO gas show for the last 20 years. I have seen many of these badges, both for the hats and for whatever. They are very collectible, it's just that they are not talked about much. It is like there is a secret group going around buying them. There are many nitches in this hobby like this. For years I purchased literature, nobody knew about it, it was just my passion. You don't have to collect gas pumps, signs, globes to accumulate a great collection of one thing. Just look at 5 quart, he probably has the greatest collection of 5 quart cans, why, this is his passion. You don't have to put out big dollars either buying whatever, to have something you can be very proud of.

Jack Sim

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #132150 Thu Feb 19 2009 05:33 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey Wes
Thanks alot to you and Mark as these pics are great.This is exactly what I have and that makes me feel much better
jim

leonardoil

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved