Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131594 Sun Feb 15 2009 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Something, to me, just doesn't look right with this sign. The rust patterns, especially on the back and around the mounting holes don't look right. Also, it is a private auction - usually a red flag for fraud.

What's your opinion on this one?

Wes

thermactor #131597 Sun Feb 15 2009 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
in my opinion this sign is right, original & old......of course if i'm wrong it wouldn't be the first or last time, however i would buy it as original

roadrelics #131897 Tue Feb 17 2009 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sign belongs to Robert Edgar. I will vouch for him. It is 100% old and original. No questions on this one. The fakes have the word "MISSOURI" closer together. This one is correct. Robert is the one person in the hobby I would trust on these shields. I have bought, sold, and traded with him several times. He is a great guy.

G
G
Here is my opinion... Before questioning someones honesty there needs to be at least some research on the person/subject.

I am a new registered member that has looked at your threads before but after seeing the remark by Wes felt compelled to sign up and reply.
I have done business with and relied upon Robert Edgar in the past and will continue to do so.

The seller of this sign (Robert) has been an ebay member since July 1999 with 100% feedback. This amount of hard earned feedback does not just happen, it is earned! The seller Robert Edgar has been a big voice to combat fradulant signs. He has also been an educator and an advocate to anyone requesting assistance in the purchase or verification of US Route signs. (Try him one day)
If this is not evident in his feedback than take a look at his "my ebay" page and you will see his efforts in authentic signs.
By the way with ebay you can not see who is bidding even if the auction was not Private. With remarks such as those from Wes it is no wonder that someone would choose to make an auction Private.
I am sure that Wes does not know and did not mean to imply that Robert is a fraud or that all private auctions are frauds but a remark like that can have a major impact on someone. But I know if I made that comment an apology and retraction would be made.
Glenn Hall

Last edited by GLENNH; Thu Feb 19 2009 08:17 PM.
GLENNH #132160 Thu Feb 19 2009 06:03 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Glenn--

Welcome to oldgas...

I agree with you 100%. Loose lips sink ships... Throwing words like "fraud" around, based on vague suspicions only, is harmful to a guy trying to sell a sign.

I have noticed this in the past and would encourage oldgas users to exercise caution in their word choices, especially in the absence of any compelling evidence...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
DCpate #132162 Thu Feb 19 2009 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes didn't say the sign nor the seller was a fraud. What he did, was ask questions about the sign. He raised some valid points on private auctions(wholesalecandyshop among others) and rust patterns on the backs(read most old posts on reproductions passed off as originals). He had questions about the sign and he came here to ask them. Isn't what this site is all about? To trade ideas, to ask questions and to learn more about this "hobby"? Read the posts below this one about the "T-53" pegasus'. A number of those sellers have 100% feedback, but they are selling "frauds" as originals. So having 100% positive feedback doesn't mean anything. Atleast for me, people please keep asking questions. I'm a newby to collecting "gas and oil" items, only picked up my first can in the late 60's. I want to learn more everyday that I collect, that's why my reference library keeps growing and I keep reading the questions here. This is my sermon for the day, I promise.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert is not above selling a repo. I bought 1 from him w/o him saying it was a repo. Later when I confronted him about it, he fessed up & returned my money.

G
G
Can I ask you what the difference between a private auction and ebays new hiding of bidders over $200 is?

GLENNH #132184 Thu Feb 19 2009 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe none, but quite a few of the scam artists such as wholesalecandyshop and others from Mexico, Argentina and overseas used private auctions to ensure that no one could contact the buyer to let them know that they had "purchased" a fraud. Also even with the new ebay rules, at times one can track down buyers, through feedback. That is how some members here tracked down a seller who had purchased signs from said "wholesale" and was selling them as originals. This happened just in the last couple of months. Plus a seller of the "T-53" pegasus who sold multiple signs, his signs were tracked using the same tactics and buyers were informed.

Last edited by Bob Richards; Thu Feb 19 2009 07:57 PM. Reason: I can't speal worth s**t, lol

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
G
Also Wes said "it is a private auction - usually a red flag for fraud" That comment is pretty wide ranging and just not accurate.
I still say that a member since 1999 with 100% feedback has earned it.
Also if ever a misunderstanding occured A REAL MAN WOULD FESS UP AND RETURN THE MONEY.

G
G
Bob, "no one could contact the buyer" that makes sense but I mentioned research before a comment and if you look at Roberts my ebay page you will see that he is on the same page as you, me and Wes. My point was just wide ranging comments can hurt a guy.
For the record I think it stinks that you can no longer see all the bidders.

G
G
Sounds like a real man corrected a misunderstanding, "fessed up (your words)" and returned the money.

Last edited by GLENNH; Thu Feb 19 2009 08:19 PM.
GLENNH #132192 Thu Feb 19 2009 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I posted a question about the sign on ebay based on previous posts I have read about fake US 66 shields which are aged to look like originals.

For instance:
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000083.html

I did not say the sign was fake. I merely pointed out what I saw and asked for advice.

As for my comment about private auctions on ebay, I have see TONS of fraudulent auctions on ebay (usually linked from this forum), and a very common thread between them is that they are private. There has been previous discussion about this phenomenon.

For instance...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post111853

and...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post110319

I apologize if I offended anyone - that was not the intent. I was tryint to gather information and point out what I saw that looked a little "off" about the auction. I have no idea who the seller is, and did not intend to target anyone specifically.

Wes

thermactor #132204 Fri Feb 20 2009 05:05 AM
G
G
Hello Wes,
In your first link example everyone look close there is his name Robert Edgar. He is the one who was able to point out a faked sign.
As for you Wes, with members such as yourself and your last comments I can see I joined a forum that I will enjoy for many years.
Thank you so much, Glenn

thermactor #132257 Fri Feb 20 2009 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermactor
I posted a question about the sign on ebay based on previous posts I have read about fake US 66 shields which are aged to look like originals.

For instance:
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000083.html

I did not say the sign was fake. I merely pointed out what I saw and asked for advice.

As for my comment about private auctions on ebay, I have see TONS of fraudulent auctions on ebay (usually linked from this forum), and a very common thread between them is that they are private. There has been previous discussion about this phenomenon.

For instance...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post111853

and...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post110319

I apologize if I offended anyone - that was not the intent. I was tryint to gather information and point out what I saw that looked a little "off" about the auction. I have no idea who the seller is, and did not intend to target anyone specifically.

Wes

No apology needed Wes. You simply stated your concerns about the sign, and your well founded concerns about private auctions.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved