Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#132368 - Sat Feb 21 2009 03:11 PM Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April
olddutchgas Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Holland, MI
Hi Everyone!

It has been a long, cold, crappy, busy, winter here in Michigan! We apoligize for the the break in the action with Globe of the Month, but we are back on track and ready to go! This Month we are going to look at plastic body globes, more commonly called Capco body globes since virtually all of them were made by the Cinncinatti Advertising Products Company.

Plastic bodies were patented back in 1932 but were only used by a few companies in the 1930s. By the 1950s virtually all companies that used globes had switched to the Capco body style with many of these companies using them into the 1960s and even into the early 1970s.

There were a number of different color Capco bodies used but probably 95% of them were white. Pictured here is an experimental Mobil dual grade pump globe on an original white Capco body.

I know that there are hundreds if not thousands of diferent Capco body globes in Oldgas members collections. Lets see 'em!!!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Attachments
IMG_5168.JPG

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#132373 - Sat Feb 21 2009 04:51 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
Jarvis Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Evansville, In
Here a couple of nice complete ones on original colored bodies. Martin is new old stock.

#132375 - Sat Feb 21 2009 05:11 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: Jarvis]
bowserguy Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
Learn a new thing every day...I would never have thought that they (plastic bodies) were in use so long.

#132376 - Sat Feb 21 2009 05:17 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: bowserguy]
Jarvis Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Evansville, In
Notice in the pic globe body on the right is the early style. Many people think plastic bodies are the later globes or even repop. I have had many people say... oh that's plastic so it's a repop.

#132397 - Sat Feb 21 2009 10:19 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
MARK SMITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: NORTHWEST,AR,USA
HERE ARE A FEW CAPCO BODY GLOBES FROM MY GLOBE SHELF.

Attachments
MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

#132398 - Sat Feb 21 2009 10:20 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: MARK SMITH]
MARK SMITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: NORTHWEST,AR,USA
A FEW MORE

Attachments
MVC-009S.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

#132408 - Sun Feb 22 2009 12:33 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: MARK SMITH]
Dave Richey Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Pearl Mississippi USA
VERY small company from south Mississippi. I'm guessing 50's since I never saw one until a few months ago when I aquired this one. Only one other known to exist, but you know how that goes. smile

By daverichey

By daverichey

#132414 - Sun Feb 22 2009 07:18 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: Dave Richey]
s932 Offline
Company of the Month Host

Loc: cape girardeau. mo
here is my favorite capco its a super a that was a new discovery last year. i have never seen another one like it

#132449 - Sun Feb 22 2009 11:26 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: s932]
olddutchgas Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone who has shown their globes, lets see some more!

Here are a couple Johnson capco globes, the Winged 70 version is very uncommon. Note that these globes are on early "off white" colored bodies.

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Attachments
IMG_0246_12_1.jpg

IMG_0271_28_1.jpg

Edited by olddutchgas (Sun Feb 22 2009 11:26 AM)

#132623 - Mon Feb 23 2009 05:53 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
Vermonter Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: VT
here is my Frontier

Attachments
frontier globe 2.jpg

#132733 - Tue Feb 24 2009 02:53 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: Vermonter]
Lastgas15 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: illinois
Here are a couple of Bay globes I used to have.

Attachments
bay and bay bronze.JPG

http://www.lastgas15.com/

#132806 - Wed Feb 25 2009 04:21 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
67Chev4X4 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Husky Globe

#132807 - Wed Feb 25 2009 04:34 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
67Chev4X4 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
One of my favorites

Attachments
husky globe.jpg

Description: Husky Globe

#132844 - Wed Feb 25 2009 09:29 AM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: Vermonter]
olddutchgas Offline
Veteran Member

Hi Guys;

Great photos! I know there are lots of Capco body globes out there in your collections. Why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the Oldgas community!

I received a question from one of our Oldgas members about the two different Conoco triangle globes that have been pictured. If you look at the one Jarvis posted you will see that the red triangle has a green outline and the lense also has the words "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and "Manufactured in U.S.A.". This was Conoco's first Capco globe and dates back to the early 30s and the beginning of the Capco body. Conoco used this logo until 1950 and then switched to the red triangle logo with out the words or the green outline on the lense like the one Mark Smith shared with us. Conoco used this image throughout the 50s and 60s.

A side note on the Conoco globes, you will see that each of them are on a original green Capco body. Conoco used the "medium" green body as well as the "blueish/green" body on their early Capco globes. The later red triangle version turns up with either red or the blueish/green bodies.

The Show & Auction in Peotone, Illinois is this weekend. Next week we will look at the different color Capco bodies that were used. In the meantime - Post them if you have them!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

#132867 - Wed Feb 25 2009 01:53 PM Re: Globe of the Month(s) Capco body globes Mar./April [Re: olddutchgas]
Lastgas15 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: illinois
Here are a few more I've had over the years.

Attachments
marathon globes.JPG

misc globes for sale #1.JPG

MVC-054F.JPG

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved