Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Just a short follow up on some of the questions that have been raised. I know very little about the Michigan Bay Petroleum. The globe book says that they were a refining and marketing division of Dow Chemical out of Bay City, Michigan. I have seen very few Bay items ofer the years. The globe on the auction was maybe the 3rd or 4th one I had ever seen. I have seen a map, a small plastic tanker ship similar to the ones Texaco gave out except that it had Bay decals, and I have seen a 6' station sign with the same logo as the globe. That is the total number of Bay items that I have seen over the years.

As far as the similarity of the "Michigan" Imperial globe to the globes that Imperial Refineries out of Missouri used, according to the globe book, Johnson Oil Company was a jobber for the "Missouri" Imperial Refineries when they marketed in Michigan. When the "Missouri" Imperial Refineries pulled out of Michigan I would assume Johnson Oil Company reached some aggreement with them to continue to use the Imperial name and a similar logo. That is all I know. Hopefully what I just wrote here makes sense!

I will try to get some more Capco globe photos up later this afternoon. Anyone else with Capco globes plaese feel free to share them here. Thanks for all the posts so far!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are two varieties of capco globe bodies. The red one on the right is a "normal" size one. 99.9% of plastic globe bodies are this size. It measures just a hair over 4 inches from front to back and it has Capolite 216 molded into the side of the body just above the base.

The blue one on the left is one of the first capco bodies made and is noticebly larger then the red one. It measures over 5 inches from front to back and it has just the word Capcolite molded into the lower side of the body with no numbers.

The "fat" bodies turn up occasionally in an off white color. Early Phillips globes turn up from time to time on white "fat" bodies. I have also seen a couple of orange and about a half a dozen blue "fat" bodies. I have never seen "fat" bodies in any of the other colors, but I do believe they exist.

The Black Gold MoPowr Gasoline is believed to be a Texas Marketer, but I don't know anything about the company. Coastal was a Mobile, Alabama marketer and their globes are popular and fairly easy to find.

That's all for now, lets see some more globes!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5321.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A few more details on Bay Refining Co. of Michigan are that they were bought out by Dow Chemical in 1956. Dow used the slogan "Dow know how in every drop". Dow shut the refinery down in 1980 but the brand was still marketed well into the 1990's by Spartan Oil of Lansing. Most Michigan refineries started in late 1920's to early 1930's.
Johnson Oil was the state distributor for Imperial in Michigan according to a map I have. Johnson still had Imperial stations until just a few years ago. "Next Door" is there C store name.

Last edited by Dave Rowlison; Sun Mar 29 2009 07:14 AM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great photos so far, lets keep them coming! I will go to the the photo books next week and hopefully post a bunch of photos. If you have ANY capco globes in your collection why not take a few minutes to share them here. Thanks!

Here are a few different Rock Island globes. The one in the center with the early "Rock of Gibralter" is the only one that I have seen. The later style of the rock actually comes in a number of different colors.

Rock Island was an Indianapolis, Indiana marketer that was bought out by Marathon.

IMG_5375.JPG

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Lonnie,
I also have the center Rock Island "Rock of Gilbarter " lens and I believe it was from the time period they were in Oklahoma in the 30's
Maurice

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved