Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132553 Sun Feb 22 2009 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have heard of some instances of shortening a glass cylinder for an old visible. Any one have any experiences with this? I have a cylinder that appears to have about 1 inch broken away on the bottom and it really needs to be fixed up some! NO I didn't do it, I received it that way and I'd like to make it useable if possible! Any opinions or experiences with this problem are appreciated!! Thanks----KEVIN smile

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Kevin I know a glass shop will do it. But some of them dont want to be responsible if it breaks. You can check with them & see.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have a sheet metal shop cut 2 strips about 1 1/2" wide & 1" longer than needed. Place 1 inside the cyl., scribe then remove & spot weld. Place the other on the outside, scribe, remove & spot weld. Paint both sides of metal to match pump. Meas. from the bottom to top of metal for height you want. Tape both in place & fill gap with silicone.
NO chance of breakage.
db

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Dick's idea would work. The glass shops will cut it, but they will not assure you it will not break.

Phil

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've had 2 attempted over the years and both got broken trying to cut. The glass co. blamed it on "old" glass

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I've said this before in another post, but I've had at least a half a dozen visible cylinders shortened with no problem. Usually they have been cylinders out of Tokheim 620's. For some reason, these seem to always break-out about an inch from the bottom. I take mine to a SCIENTIFIC glass outfit. They make beakers, graduated cylinder, etc. for scientific applications. They can cut 1/8", 1/4", 6"...whatever you want. And it's always PERFECT. Maybe you have a similar place near you?? I would NEVER take a cylinder to a normal, run-of-the-mill "glass shop." As others have already said, they're always eager to blame things on the "old glass." Good luck.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Guys! Dick probably has the safest idea but I think I want the glass to be rigid and I could use this cylinder in a shorter application anyway!
I think you're on the right track, suggesting the use of a scientific glass shop! Where the heck to find one is the next question??
I live in North Dakota and I think we're lucky that they ship glass windows this far west!! LOL
If anyone has suggestions on glass shops here in ND, please let me know!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have had the same good luck with a company here that is a scientific glass shop and have had about 7-8 done for me. No problems and with a guarrantee. They can take a 1/2 to what ever you want off with no problems, and same with sight glasses. I have even had them take less than 1/4 off with no problems and nice work. Yellow pages and that type of specialty glass work.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved