Print Thread
#133186 Sat Feb 28 2009 04:19 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hi,

I recently have joined Old Gas and have found everyone to be great. I just got a few great items at the Peotone auction yesterday.

I need some good advice.

I just bought a Sunoco sign complete with the pole. This has a total height of approx. 18'. I was lucky to get the sign and pole home - almost in one piece. The width of the sign exceeded my flat bed trailer with 110" axles!!! I was lucky not to get an oversize ticket or hit someone driving thru Chicago on my 300 mile journey back home to the Iowa border.
The sign has a build date of 1/61.

It is e-bay item # 230 324 566 336

1. I lost the lower part or the red plastic pointed part of the arrow - both sides. This had latches. (Dumb mistake - but it was already broken apart). I have the tail of the arrow.
Can this be replaced? Where can I go? Can it be remade? Who can do it? This is a huge sign with a width of over 110".

2. A part of the yellow Sunoco diamond is missing. This is made of plastic. How can this be repaired? Is there someone near me who can fix it (western Illinois)?

3. The sign has neon as well as florsecent lights. They gave me some transformer. Can this be reused or checked?

4. What is needed to set a pole of this size?

I want the set the sign up by my garge and get it working. It should make a great night light! The pole and base is perfect other then needing a repaint.

Thank you,
Al

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
sd389421 #133189 Sat Feb 28 2009 05:01 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Al, I can tell you from experience that the transformer should be checked by a sign shop before use. Maybe they can help out with the damaged and missing parts? As for the installation, Keep in mind that winds will definately be a factor. I usually pour a 2 yard concrete base. That's approx. 40 inches square and 48 inches deep. Be sure to tie rebar to 1 inch sign bolts. Make a pattern of the base in plywood and drill out the holes. Form the base and fit bolts using the nuts. Rebar cage should be below form and tied or welded to the sign bolts. Now is the time to run electrical conduit into the form and tie it where it should go. Pour concrete into the form, a little at a time, all around. This keeps the cage from tilting the bolts at odd angles. Once hard, you can pull forms, backfill, run electric and bolt up sign.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved