Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I AQUIRED THIS SAME PUMP THAT SAT IN A FORD DEALERSHIP FOR OVER 25 YEARS I THOUGHT IT WAS CUT DOWN AND WORTHLESS MAYBEE IT STILL IS BUT THIS IS WEIRD TO SEE THE SAME PUMP ON E-BAY 1500 MILES AWAY NOTICE THE TOP AND THE SKINS HAVE BREAKS OR BENDS IN THEM CAN ANYONE HELP WITH SOME INFO? THANKS E-BAY ITEM #120385852991 OR ~TEXACO 10 GALLON GAS PUMP~

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is in part what the seller states;
Q: What is the brand pump and model number? Mar-02-09
A: Here’s the info on the tank: Model# 52 Serial number: 1059 Manufactured by Doug Pray Enterprises in Broken Arrow Oklahoma

Many years ago several restorers were cutting down original pumps & making new sheet metal. Besides Doug Pray, Scott Anderson was also doing it. Doug Pray was also making the TIME SENTRY.
After he saw a couple of my 1/2 size visibles sell, he went into production making the casting with alum. Back then I was trading 1/2 size for full size pumps.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Today I received a email asking me if I knew anything about Measure-Rite. I responded that I have heard of Fill-Rite, but never Measure-Rite. Then I see someone is asking about the Ebay item listed above.
Had the person emailing me mentioned the words "Doug Pray" I would have been able to answer his inquiry right away.
As Dick pointed out he was in business making reproduction gas pumps. This never bothered me, he was filling a need, cheap reproduction gas pumps to put in restaurents, something for someone who can't afford a real restored gas pump, etc. He may be still making them today.
But the problem with reproductions is, what happens down the line when someone who ownes one of these and wants to sell it.
Take a look at the description of the Ebay item. If anything sound like a run around this is it. Come on out to Calif. and look at the pump, yea....
The biggest way to avoid buying a reproduction is knowledge and if you don't have the knowledge, ask questions, but be sure to give the person you are asking questions all the details you can.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Any connection to Glen Pray in Broken Arrow who made Auburn Speedster replicas in the 70's and 80's?

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
D
D
Doug Pray and Ryan are sons of Glen Pray. Ryan used to set up at the end of the Auction barn at AUBURN , Indiana with reproduction pumps.Doug had a small catalog with pump stuff. I haven't seen him since the Auburn moved from the High School to their new grounds. Ryan told me about 1990 or so that he was studing to be a Chioropractor (sp-?).---------> Dick

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the info Jack & Dick !! it never crossed my mind that it was a mass produced reproduction I thought it was at least a one of a kind cut down the top resembles a butler 71 in reference to jack's gas pump book but i could not ID the base or skins so thanks to old gas and the knowledge of its member's i now know my 200.00 investment was not bad but not a steal of a deal. It looks pretty cool in my shop in my GULF section Thanks again. Notice in the e-bay descrption the seller state's the reseve price of 800.00 but he we take 2000.00??? uhh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Greg,
6th picture down in this thread is another one
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=133393#Post133393
MOST of the early cut down pumps were just that, cut down original pumps. So you might have original castings, glass cylinder, etc. Which would be a good deal for $200.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved