Next Thread
Print Thread
#133525 Wed Mar 04 2009 04:54 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
I know these "Band" quarts are very popular.I'm not saying it is or isn't a repo...but you better do a little more research if interested in it. ALL my band cans have "FLYING HORSE POWER" under the Pegasus and SOCONY-VACUUM OIL COMPANY at the bottom. Not just MADE IN USA like this one has.

Item Number: 270352645915

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOBILOIL-oil-can-AERO-GREEN-BAND-AVIATION-mobil-RARE_W0QQitemZ270352645915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270352645915&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good catch Gary, I knew something was off on this qt. I just couldn't put my finger on it even after looking at the "Oil Can Guide" and the "Mobil Collector's Guide". According to both guides the pegasus should have "Flying Horse Power" arched below it and the bottom of the can should have either "Product of A" or just the "SOCONY-VACUUM OIL COMPANY". Some cans also had "Made in U.S.A." under company name. For those who have the "Collecting Oil Cans" guide page 103.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I contacted the seller and asked if they had just purchased this can or if they had had it for awhile this is their answer;

Dear rain3482001,

it was one of about 6 or 7 i purchased .. thanks for looking............ val

- xrsznut

So be prepared for a number of auctions if people think they are real.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The seller has changed their auction. And reported that it could be a reproduction can. I told them about Oldgas, maybe we will get a new member because of this auction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a scan from the "collecting Oil Cans" book I was talking about. One can see the lettering Gary was talking about.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO, it is not strange at all that the cans don't look alike. If you look close, the picture in the book show the earlier version with the serif text, and the can on ebay has a later font, "sans serif" - I think the ebay can is the real deal! It is just a couple of years younger and thats the reason for the slightly difference in design.
Just my 2 cents ...
Claes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not sure on these old cans. The "Mobil Guide" states that all the older AERO Banded cans have the "Flying Horse Power" logo on the can below the pegasus. I see where the seller pulled the item, anyway.

G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
The can in question also just had "Made In USA" on it and it wasn't at the very bottom of the can. Mine have either "Socony-Vacuum" or "Property of Socony- Vacuum", along with "Made In USA" ( I think...don't have them here with me) Any thoughts on this?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just received an email from the seller. I appologised if I was the cause for them pulling the can. Val(the seller) said the can was pulled because of the question of originality. Here is their full reponse;
Dear rain3482001,

I WANTED TO PULL THE CAN TILL OUT FOUND OUT FOR SURE... I TOOK IT TODAY TO A BIG TIME ANTIQUE DEALER, HE MADE A PHONE CALL, AND SAID IT WAS A REAL DEAL. PROBALY FROM THE LATE 40'S OR EARLY 50'S .. I AM JUST GLAD I CAN SAY IT IT AUTHENIC .. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ... PLEASE KEEP WATCHING, I'M ALWAYS ON THE HUNT FOR ??? ..THANKS AGAIN, FOR YOUR HELP ... VAL

- xrsznut

Now in the Oil can guide they show cans from mid 40s and one from 1957. This can seems to fall in between those years. The seller has been very gracious and I know I wouldn't have any problems buying from them, based on the emails we have exchanged. Bob

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved