Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
As I stated in my New Guy thread, I am going to be restoring my first pump, a Bowser 585. My plan is to turn it into a Hancock pump to surprise my dad. The station we both worked at growing up was a Hancock station when he worked there. I am leaning towards orange sides and top with the white doors. while taking the pump apart today I noticed some of the old paint flaking off so I decided to take a couple of layers off. After doing so I found that this pump used to have RPM decals on it.. Here are a couple of pictures before I took it apart today. I had to bust out my torches and heat up some of the screws .

Here it is disassembled. Notice the burned paint from the heat of the torch

Does anybody know what this hole is for? It is on the same side as the reset crank.

This is my next little project after I get the base and frame painted, the computer looks like it will take me a while to do, looks like there are a lot of little parts in there.

Looking for anything Hancock, Signal, Veedol/Flying A and Richfield
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here are the rest I took today.

Here you can see where the studs broke off for the sight glass warning plate. 3 of them on one door and 2 on the other. I am going to have the guys at school weld on some more studs.

This is the only rust problem besides the rusty bolts, nuts and screws. I am going to be making a new bottom part to the door.

And here you can make out the words RPM, Chevron, outboard motor oil.

Now I have a couple of questions. Where would I put the "contains lead" plate? On the sides or the corner of the doors? Would I use a vinyl decal or porcelain plate? Also should I use a porcelain pump plate or vinyl water slide decal. Keep in mind I am going to be using a 13.5" globe on top of the pump. I am not sure if I am going to be using Hancock ad glass or not yet. Any input will help me out greatly.
Thanks
Donnie

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Hole is Probably for a Light Switch. Use Porcelain "Contains Lead" signs vinyl decals look Cheesy you wouldn't be happy with them. I would say they most likely go on the side panels. The First Picture of the side panel you show looks like it has 4 small holes in it, most likely that is where the small Contains lead sign goes.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks to Ted and the hot tank at the college the doors, sides, and top are now soaking. When I get home from school today I am going to finish gutting it and start cleaning the computer up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good start. I will show you where the lead signs go and find you a deal on some originals. Donnie is a quick learner when it comes to cars and doing good with pumps also. I told him I always take the best students with me to the gas bash. He is the first in 34 years of teaching. Not bad.

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looking good there!Wow!"gaspumps 101"never had a class like that when i went to school!!and ted roach as the teach!!this young man scored big time!! keep the pics comin!!

ted.jpg ted.jpg
Last edited by oldnfuelish; Mon Mar 16 2009 11:39 AM. Reason: well wasnt sure the pic thing worked but it did twice

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Ted it means a lot to hear something like that. And we need a gas pump restoration class too..lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Me likey the Chevron. Keep up the good work and pictures.
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
will do, and here you go. Its now in the body shops hands.

Since it is now in the body shops hands I can turn my attention to the base and frame as well as the computer.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
My poor computer has seen better days...a lot better days. The good news is I was able to spin the "This Sale" dials all the way around to 999, but I can't get them to reset. There is going to be a whole of pressure washing and soaking in WD 40.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well got the frame back from the sand blasters today, have it primed and ready to do the body work on the base (I will be doing that here at home)

Here she is as bare metal

And here she is as primed

I can't wait for the body shop to finish the doors and skins, now I need to take apart the computer to restore the wheels.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Haven't done a pump yet but truely enjoy watching this through all the photos. Feel like I'm almost a part of it all somehow!! There's a pile of elbo grease going around here lately. You may need some of it for that computer!! Keep up the good work and the slide show. It's been educational.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Fri May 01 2009 07:00 AM.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Our body shop class takes forever to get anything done, but yesterday I was over there checking out the progress on the pump, it doesn't even look like the same pump I dropped off. The one door with a good portion missing from rust doesn't even look like it was missing. All the parts are in primer and the guys are doing the final wet sanding before the color coat. I have decided to do the doors in orange and the sides and top in black. And since I took a welding class over the summer I cannot wait to get my next pump and do all the work myself. I have yet to tackle the computer, I might just send it out and have it done. The base and frame are almost done, I just need to do a little more body work on the base. All of the cast iron parts that I kept are blasted and ready for some cast iron engine paint. I need to get started on building the island for my display. So for now there are no new pics, sorry. I thought I would let you guys know the progress on the pump and progress is very slow...lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep us Updated!!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Love them Bowsers - that's some bad hat Harry!

George
George.Lee@midwayschools.com
701-520-9580
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved