Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, sorry to hear you had a negative experience with the feedback on your maps. Good luck.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob
I can not offer an idea of the value of the maps because I do not collect them. A lot of people on this site collect signs, globes, cans and pumps. Maps, S&P's and gas pump radios may be more of a special interest item. If you want to sell them, I would either list a couple of them them here or on eBay with a starting bid price of close to what you want for it and see what happens. If I see something I like and the price appeared to be right, I would bid on it. Having no idea of what maps sell for, I could not give a value for it. If the first couple maps sell for what you think is to cheap, do not list anymore. If you have a nice item and list it here, take bids on it, it will probably get a fair price.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob,
I hope you continue to progress to recovery with your health issues and with coping with the cost of the medial care. Sorry to hear you are so disappointed with the response to this map topic.

I'm certainly not a map value expert. I do have some Zephyr maps in my collection. Looks like you have some older maps with nice graphics and some sought-after brands. My guess would be that gas brands that command high dollars for their globes and signs would bring good money for their maps.

I'd recommend that you put several on eBay with starting bids that you can be comfortable with. Post the auction numbers here on Oldgas.com Shop Talk in the Online Auctions forum. See how they do and then make your decision on what you want to do from there.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, first of all, I too am sorry that on top of it all, you are dealing with this health issue.

As for the map pricing? I can't speak for everyone, but I can't tell you how many times I've been on the other end of this situation. Someone whom I've never met, emails me with some great item. In my case, usually a really cool gas pump. He indicates he wants to sell it, and wants me to tell him what it's worth. I give him a truthful answer on my "opinion" of what the current market is. However, the current market may be different to different people. What area of the country are you in? shipping cost? was the price obtained at that last auction really accurate, or were two guys puffing up their chest?

Well, anyway, I give them the current value thinking that I might actually get to add this to my collection, and I find out later that he has used my "evaluation" as a starting place for a bidding war.

It's happened many times. I am told that this item is for sale, what's it worth, and basically the guy is just shopping around for bids.

It doesn't matter if the item is a gas pump, or porcelain signs for a pump, or maps. It happens.

So, now I try now to get involved in the bidding wars. I usually don't make offers. If the seller knows what he has, and how much he wants for it, and if I can afford it, I'll buy it. Otherwise, let someone else run the price up.

If I had an item that I needed to know the value of, I'd start with "completed auctions" on ebay. Used the "advanced search" button, and then check the box that states "show completed auctions only". It will kick out every map sold for the last 60 days, and if sold, show what it sold for. In this case, I'm sure there are a lot of maps in that catagory. You should be able to get an idea of value from that. Also, what did you pay for a particular map? What would you pay for it today? the same? more? Have you seen others sell, and think "that was a good deal"?. You may actually have a better idea of value than you know.

Anyway, I have trouble finding fault with the guys on this forum, not jumping in to give you a value on something that you want to sell. If someone is "low balling" you, then shame on them. But my guess is that if you put a good map on here for sale, with a fair price, it would be sold. No one cares if you make a profit. If that item is what they want for their collection, and the price is fair to them. Sold !.......

ok. just my 2 cents here. You don't have to agree.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, Having 1300 gas station related road maps I can assure you there are lots of people out there that collect them. As was stated the best way to get a fair price is to auction them off either through oldgas or ebay. Everyone wants a bargin so taking email offers might not be the most money gaining way. Just my 2cents. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob: Another option would be go to an antique mall and see what they charge to rent a booth and commission, or hook up with another dealer and try that. That way they are "listed" and all you have to do is wait and see. I saw some maps in an antique mall that I thought had high prices and said so to my wife. I was there a week later and more than half were gone. So, what the heck do I know?? LOL Anyway, I think you have some options. good luck with everything.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved