Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13594 Fri Dec 23 2005 06:38 PM
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
See what you think of this. It is a true story. Back a some time ago when I was newer to the hobbie my job took me to old gas stations and the like. I had my eye on an old Kool themometer at one abandoned place. One day while at the site I decided to just take the themometer off the wall. I drove back to my office and pulled the item out of my jacket and scratched in crazy writing on the metal back was "you theiving bastard". Well needless to say a chill ran down my back and I immediatly drove back and put it back. I am happy to say that I learned a lesson back then. It still gives me a sick feeling in my stomach to think about it. The only thing I can think happened was the guy did it after my failed attempts to buy it.

This is probably the reason I like to leave things alone in the wild.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#13595 Fri Dec 23 2005 07:10 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
You did the right thing by taking it back and putting in its rightful place. I am sure that all of us have thought about that piece just sitting in the middle of nowhere and nothing around that it would look good at our place. Well it is wrong to take, if you be persistent you will gain the piece in the end.

Phil

Thanks, Phil
#13596 Fri Dec 23 2005 07:26 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT ......I WOOD OF KEPT IT - AND PAINTED ON THE WALL WHERE THE THERMOMETER WAS....."I DIDN'T TAKE IT SUMONE ELSE MUST OF NABBED IT"
REX LIKES FUN

#13597 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:04 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thats funny... LOL... My boss, at the Chevron station, inscribed everything that was likley to walk away, with the words "Stolen from Grahams Chevron"

#13598 Fri Dec 23 2005 08:38 PM
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
One thing I forgot to mention was when I took the themometer off the wall I practically had to pry it off due to the layers of old paint around it, so the message couldn't have been put on recently. OhhhhhhhhhweeeeeOoooooooooo............!!!!!!!! Scared yet???

#13599 Fri Dec 23 2005 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anything stolen is NEVER yours, YOU are just the thief that HAS IT.
db

#13600 Sat Dec 24 2005 07:27 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well said Dick. It is not right to take anything that is not yours. Just put the shoe on the other foot. Just think if you woke up in the morning & looked outside & seen some of your signs or pumps gone. You would be ticked off to say the least. Something real small could mean alot to someone else just like a large idem to us.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#13601 Sat Dec 24 2005 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the place is truley abandoned I would have kept it.It's better than the thing getting crushed when they tear down the place.I don't condone taking anything thats not yours but in this case if the building was vacent,I may have took it also.That is a funny story you'll never forget it!!

#13602 Sat Dec 24 2005 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I AGREE WITH THE CONTENT, NO MATTER HOW ABANDONED A PLACE LOOKS AND YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT'S FUTURE - IT SHOULD BE A HANDS OFF SITUATION. ON THE OTHER HAND I HAVE PERSONALLY TAKEN NON-PETRO PORC SIGNS RECENTLY OFF BUILDINGS THAT I KNOW WILL BE RAZED OR NOT RE-USED EVER AGAIN AND HAVE NO GUILTY FEELINGS WHATSOEVER....ONE MANS TRASH IS MY TREASURE!

DOC @ TAG.WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved