Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I just found this item. I would think it was used between the late 40's and mid 60's. I do not go to the big gas shows so with that understanding I have never seen one of these before. I have seen a cover for a bigger torpedo type propane tank marked this way. So I am interested in what the forum members think it is worth as I am thinking about selling it. While I believe this is rare (I'm sure there were a lot of these but how many survived I wonder) Since I am a purest (please feel free to substitute the word crazy) I could see this set up in a garage with two cylinders under it both labeled Mobil Flame under a red pegasus decal (I've seen pictures of it in use this way) and probably this item is better suited for a pure Mobil collector. I guess I would prefer a something better suited for display inside the house. smile Any thoughts to a value will be appreciated. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Bumping this to the top and wanted to add I think this is made of aluminum as a magnet does not stick to it. Nobody has an idea as to the value? Thanks John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I did not want to say it, But they are quite common, Most LP gas set-ups were never updated, the tanks get changed but the hood stays for ever, While working for my Fathers LP delivery business I used to see them all the time, especially at camps that have been there forever and used seldom. The hoods always belonged to the Major supplier so we never had to buy them, I don't see it being more than a $20.00 item, unless somebody wants to do a set-up like you mentioned and really has to have it, Rick

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Rick, thanks for the information. Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks again. John

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Rick, ok I thought about this overnight. Since you worked delivering propane if someone changed distributers then would they still have used the mobil flame cover or wouldn't the company replace it with a plain one or one advertising their company or brand. For example, if Suburban Propane came in to be the customers new supplyer would they just have left the Mobil Flame cover there? Just trying to learn. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right, if someone changed distributors, the new distributor would put in all their equipment and set the old stuff aside to be picked up by the old Co. That is why I found them on most of the camps, those people only used the gas a couple months a year, so to them it was never worth it to arrange a new distributor, as they were usually from out of state.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved