Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes I think your wrong, I think buyers do care. They just don't know where to go to get information. And like I did the first time I got burned, they trust the seller. I stumbled on Oldgas long after I had been burned on a sign. I never knew there was such as site. I believe most new collectors are in the same place, they are just starting out and don't know of any avenues that may help them in their collecting. Just my opinion, ofcourse.

Here is a couple of responses I got back from the seller:
"Bob,
I am no expert by any means and never claimed to be. I have had several gas and oil members look and purchase these signs and were very happy. I do not know were you are getting your numbers because there was suppose to be around 200 found. We have never heard of any other numbers. I have great reservations on your knowledge and furthermore Bob we have pretty much sold the signs we have so you can relax and move on to someone else. I would appreciate no further comments on this issue. Kellie"

After telling "Kellie" that I thought he/she is a "piece of sh*t"
for knowingly selling fakes as originals. Here is their answer:

"Bob, Bob, Bob,

My you have issues. Settle down and do something more constructive with your life.

Sincerely,
Kellie"

Like I said, I think buyers are relying on the seller being truthful and we all know that isn't the case more and more times.
Plus Wes maybe a new collector will read this thread and not get taken on one of these signs????????

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Wes....couldn't agree more. I scrolled through the ebay threads the other night just for kicks. This same issue with the T53 Mobil signs has been on here REPEATEDLY.

It's obvious the seller doensn't care. It's an exercise in futility to waste one's time emailing him. One can lament the failed responsibility of ebay or the unscrupulous actions of sellers....but ultimately have to put responsibility on the buyer. In this economy if you're dropping $600.00 on a repop shame on you for not doing your research. It's not like the information isn't readily available.

Unfortunately the online section here on oldgas has evolved into a complaint board culiminating in calling bidders and sellers names. It's great to actually read topics in here about items that fellow members are selling or cool items we've stumbled across online that others may be interested in.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe this should be in the known reproduction but other than that i agree with bob on this one. This is not kicking a dead horse as long as this scumbag is selling these. What i mean by all this is i use oldgas as a research tool before i buy a sign or a globe i try to find out if there are reproductions and how to spot the difference. Although most of us by now know that this t-53 sign is fake a newcomer may not. So here is my point if a new guy stumbles on this sight and then he see's this thread then maybe we have saved them from being ript off. Once again thats why were all here on this sight to help each other.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
BoB, I don't think ALL buyers on Ebay are collectors looking for a one of a kind original item. To me, Ebay is just like any other auction I go to , the reproduction stuff brings silly money, but it isn't all collectors buying it,,, just good people trying to decorate there room at home or garage...and possibly even collectors buying the stuff that don't want to pay $2500 for a cookie cutter pegasus, but want to spend $600 on a nice item for decoration in the garage. Besides I would think that anyone looking on OLDGAS for information on reproduction items would have read this thread by now after 7-8 pages of the same thing ! Like how many times would they need to be told the same thing ? Just my thoughts..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes i do agree with some people buy nice repros for the walls and such, but these are not good reproductions and are being sold as original.It would be different if this guy was telling the truth. Also like i said if a new guy stumbles on this site and finds this thread then im happy.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well if he stumbles on this site and reads this thread on re- a T 53 sign ( Pegasus) he will be reading it 20 times ? Does he need to be told that many times is my question ? I'm not saying this site doesn't need to inform the new collector , BUT twenty times ? It has worn me out,,,

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
with all due respect Wes i have to agree with Bob & s932.i feel this topic should be on the top of every thread here...that way people can see it then even possibly email & harrass these people that are making a living of the ignorant...There are plenty of people selling this garbage & not many people seem to care..........i am lucky as i know what not to buy so i don't need to read this either however i don't quit emailing this trash because its hurting the hobby big time... I feel if they are continually harrassed by many people, it sure don't hurt & having this topic to keep peoples memory fresh is a good thing...however this is just my opinion

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, why raise hell about these threads? If you aren't interested in them, don't read them. Others seem to be interested in letting the members here know who are selling these fakes. We have over 10600 members right now and I see 2 people actively complaining about these posts. Now if we had a number of posts saying they aren't necessary, I would imagine they would disappear. Honestly would you be complaining if there were over 20 threads telling the members who was selling original signs cheap on ebay???? I'm not trying to be rude and I know I have a hard time not being rude. Honestly I believe those posting these threads feel like they are doing the membership a service and for me that is exactly what they are doing. They are doing the "research" you talked about earlier and sharing it with the membership. But that is just my opinion.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey I don't think your rude at all Bob,,I like a person thats says what they have to say,,, What I was saying was just my opinion as well..I've always thought this is a GREAT site, or I wouldn't be looking at it..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Darryl: you and others make some valid points about keeping the membership informed of repops and the like, I certainly can appreciate that.

Sincere question on my part here....when you or others feel obligated to protect the hobby by sending emails to these sellers do we cite reference materials, books, etc... Do we have the ability to describe in detail with valid information why their item is not authentic? Or do we launch in to personal attacks?....And most importantly do we tell them we're from oldgas?

I guess here's my main observation (not complaint) If as hobby enthusiests we feel we are to be vanguards of the hobby, we help the hobby more by possessing the ability to educate buyers and sellers...and to communicate our concerns in a professional manner.

There are more visitors to our site daily than those who are logged in as members. I guess my point is that when these threads denigrate to the point of calling people names and then publicly broadcasting email correspondences we've gone far beyond 'keeping the membership' informed.

I say all of that with the utmost respect, just an opinion.

Oh yeah, by the way...looking forward to meeting you next week when you drop off my sign. smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't speak for everyone, but I do reference books and also this site. I invite people to stop and checkout the topics here. No I don't always communicate in a professional manner, but I am speaking for myself no one else. I try to start every conversation nicely and give the seller the "benefit of doubt". Only after getting their answer do I sometimes go "postal". Read the emails I post and this is clear. As I "broadcast" some of the emails being questioned, I believe that ALL should see the seller's attitude of being informed about an item. I have printed emails from sellers who were grateful to be informed and also those that told me to "stick it". I have NO patience for those that are knowingly selling fakes as originals. If the "Membership/Registered Users" here decide they don't like my sharing of the emails, I will gladly stop. I won't stop sending the emails, I will just stop sharing the sellers views on the subject here. Not trying to get in a "pissing match"(hope I can say that?), with anyone here. I am sharing my opinion(s) and at times I just like to be on the opposite side of a debate. No offense is meant to anyone.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm glad to see this topic again because like everything in life, a mental refresher is good. I was unaware of the fact it was a repo, but I was skeptical of the story and the fact they have a bottomless supply of them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Duane.....it's very difficult to find any type of reference material on these new repos that seem to continually pop up, so i do direct them to this site & the thread that is talking about their signs...more times than not i'll get an email saying "who do you think your are telling me my sign is a repo, blah blah blah" & then they say prove it...then more times than not they will try & switch it around to make me look like the bad guy..its very discouraging however i could really care less how much they try & turn it around & i will always stand my ground....its very difficult being proffesional when many of these people are just outright thieves & don't want to hear a word about there merch being repo....its almost impossible educating these buyers as ebay has taken care of that with making them anonymous..
Duane, look forward in seeing you also & will call you with the details of my trip......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THIS ONE IS UP TO 4-DIGITS. OUCH!...ON THAT BUYERS POCKET.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509836667

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doc--Its the same guy that was selling some before! I had correspondence with him and he was angry that someone would question him but "HE KNOWS THEYRE REPOPS". I have him on my blocked bidder list and I wouldn't buy anything that hes selling!

He must have me blocked too because I just tried to send him a question and ebay wouldn't let it thru!

Last edited by K W FRITH; Sun Oct 31 2010 06:14 PM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved