Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140384 Mon May 11 2009 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
buying these faceplates for my 36b.they are new.thing is are they original or reproductions.i dont know how to tell.i thought they were repros,but considering where they came from,they might not be. only marks are on the lower right side and it says 32242.nothing on the back.i know what repros go for but if they are original what would the value be? thanks in advance all!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If they are real they are the first NOS aluminum faces I have ever seen.

They almost look too good for NOS

Last edited by jkyocom; Mon May 11 2009 06:11 PM.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I may be able to answer your question Mick. 'My' faces have that number on BOTH faces. The originals had two different numbers such as 33243 and 33242. I'll have to go out and look at the originals I copied. There are two other ways to tell most original faces from copies. Originals had a 'swirl' effect in the aluminum that was centered on the face. I can post a photo in a few minutes. Copies don't have that. Lastly, look VERY closely at the totalizer holes. Do you notice a little extra piece of metal at the top and bottom of each slot? If so they are definitely copies. The originals were made with a single die that made each hole. The faces I make need to be hit twice. Once for the left side of the hole and once again to make it wider.
I can not speak for other manufactures of these faces. They will have to add their two cents.
Hope that helps... Ron

Last edited by Ron Scobie; Mon May 11 2009 07:29 PM.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
..."the devil is in the details"... ;-)

...I've seen the swirl Ron speaks of...and some repros aren't silver-painted aluminum like the originals are...

...if someone would be kind enough to post close-up photos of a known original - maybe the small type around the totalizer holes, and a similar photo of a known repro as well so some side-by-side comparison could be done, it should be easy to see the differences...I haven't seen a repro yet where the 'reproducer' went to the trouble to exactly match all of the fonts, ESPECIALLY the small type...usually they just find something 'close'...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I just checked and the non totalizer side is 33243!
I took another look at your photo and noticed that the 'notches' on the sides (that get covered by the stair steps)of the faces have ROUNDED corners! That's what the originals have! My copies have 'square' corners.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Scobie; Mon May 11 2009 07:29 PM.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
they have the swirls also.ok now the second part of the question,what would thay be worth if original? thanks for the answers so far!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only as much as your willing to pay over Reproduction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...at LEAST twice what the repros sell for IMO...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved